Service Smart - Out of Business?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Default Service Smart - Out of Business?

I have been using Service Smart for several years for pest control outside and inside my home. They haven't been the best with keeping up with the weeds in my lawn so I have been trying to get them on the phone and the phone just rings and goes to voice mail and then the voice mail box is full so I can not leave a message. Did they go out of business?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Have you read previous posts about them? You may want to do a search here for their responsiveness to phone calls and other things.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You may want to rethink your relationship with Service Smart. They are not out of business YET! To me, it looks like the handwriting is on the wall though. On May 8th they were sued by their fuel supplier for failure to pay their fuel bills (Case 2018-CA-330 in the Fifth Judicial District) and lost a $32,.618.41 Final Judgement. On May 17, 2018, they lost their building and property to another company (Case 2018-CA-0815, Fifth Judicial District). On June 6, 2018, the City of Ocala cited them for violating Ocala building codes (Case COM18-0190). They were assessed several hundred dollars in Cost of Prosecution and face over $1000/day in fines if noted zoning violation go uncorrected after min-July. The wise homeowner may decide to move on to someone else for their lawn maintenance needs.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 AM
Gold member

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of Thieves!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 PM

When we moved to Fenney in Nov. 2018, this company was everywhere. I ran them off my property when they came by for the 3rd time. Something must have happened recently because I was driving through the neighborhood today and I saw a lot of Massey(that who we have), Deans, and a company that I had not seen before with an alligator on the sign and begins with an "F". Suddenly Service Smart signs in the yards are not prevalent.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:48 PM

Biggest liars and thieves in the business. I swallowed their story hook-line-sinker and cancelled my service with Deans for a lower price. Paid for a year in advance with the promise of full refund if unhappy. This was for lawn weed fertilization and mowing. Signed in February and they never came to the house in the next 2 months for either fertilization or mowing. I called and cancelled and ask for my money back. They said they would send it in the mail. Today as of June 28th, I have not gotten any refund and when I call they say it is being processed. I have given up and just write it off as a very bad decision on my part and will eat the $1000. I am usually not a sucker for these schemes but they got me. I hope they go out of business and go to jail for fraud. Back with Deans and very happy. You get what you pay for and then sometimes you don't.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
You may want to rethink your relationship with Service Smart. They are not out of business YET! To me, it looks like the handwriting is on the wall though. On May 8th they were sued by their fuel supplier for failure to pay their fuel bills (Case 2018-CA-330 in the Fifth Judicial District) and lost a $32,.618.41 Final Judgement. On May 17, 2018, they lost their building and property to another company (Case 2018-CA-0815, Fifth Judicial District). On June 6, 2018, the City of Ocala cited them for violating Ocala building codes (Case COM18-0190). They were assessed several hundred dollars in Cost of Prosecution and face over $1000/day in fines if noted zoning violation go uncorrected after min-July. The wise homeowner may decide to move on to someone else for their lawn maintenance needs.
In spite of many negative posts on TOTV, Service Smart seems to still be popular with some residents.
Bryan, thanks for the comprehensive information!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM

They are crooks and thieves and do not do what they promise, take your money and run. Hope they all end up in jail.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM

I understand that the owner of Service Smart had owned a landscape service called Once a Year. Once a Year also had a terrible record and horrible customer service. Once a Year went out of business and Service Smart was born. He changed the name of the company from Once a Year to Service Smart. Same horrible business practices and customer service.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv0211 View Post
I understand that the owner of Service Smart had owned a landscape service called Once a Year. Once a Year also had a terrible record and horrible customer service. Once a Year went out of business and Service Smart was born. He changed the name of the company from Once a Year to Service Smart. Same horrible business practices and customer service.
I think he owned Stellar and they changed to Service Smart after a merge of some sort...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Biggest liars and thieves in the business. I swallowed their story hook-line-sinker and cancelled my service with Deans for a lower price. Paid for a year in advance with the promise of full refund if unhappy. This was for lawn weed fertilization and mowing. Signed in February and they never came to the house in the next 2 months for either fertilization or mowing. I called and cancelled and ask for my money back. They said they would send it in the mail. Today as of June 28th, I have not gotten any refund and when I call they say it is being processed. I have given up and just write it off as a very bad decision on my part and will eat the $1000. I am usually not a sucker for these schemes but they got me. I hope they go out of business and go to jail for fraud. Back with Deans and very happy. You get what you pay for and then sometimes you don't.
I like to use Amex. They will reverse the charge almost immediately.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM

You’re right. I heard they’ve changed hands several times. I used them for taking out plants and putting in new plants, mulch. They did show up which was a shock! Didn’t do half of what they were suppose to do. They left the landscape lights all disconnected in a pile in th middle of the lawn. When I asked the supervisor about the lights, he told me they were in the same place as when they arrived. Purée B.S. I showed him pictures of before and after. Horrible company, worst service and management. They need to be out of business forever.i
Old 06-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Out of Business? Sure hope so!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 PM

They are the pits! They said they would refund my money, and never did.
Seniors vs crime has a big folder on this sorry bunch of crooks.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

Oddly enough we always had great service from them. Our lawn was one of the nicest in the neighborhood. Plus when we moved they didn’t charge us for the last month. The first year we paid up front but after that went to quarterly because of all the complaints. Plus they had given us a good price to keep up. I never understood why they were good to us but awful to so many people.
Closed Thread

Tags
voice, smart, service, business, mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.