spanish moss

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Default spanish moss

will the spanish moss damage any type of tree. It looks so lovely on the old oaks but what aboout other trees. Our neighbor keeps saying "that moss is gonna kill your tree" advice? thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

As I understand it, Spanish moss takes everything it needs from the air and takes nothing from the tree except support. The live oaks are called live because they don't drop their leaves like other oaks do.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Been told that "spanish moss" is neither spanish nor moss, simply an airplant. Have seen where some oaks are withering and dying off. They just happen to be covered (shrouded) with spanish moss. Could be a coincidence.......What do you think.........
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member
Default Spanish Moss

I think Live Oaks with Spanish Moss are beautiful. Wish we had some in our neighborhood.

Here is info on it:
http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Spanish_moss/spanmoss.htm

I have used it for years (bought in a store) to cover the tops of my indoor plant containers.
I have never seen it kill a tree.
If you use some from a tree, be sure to microwave it first to kill any bugs that might be on it.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

SPANISH MOSS Doesn't hurt trees , it is not a parasite ...it takes nutrients from the air and only hangs on trees for support.......In some places its protected by law because of its asthetics.......

parasitic fumar ...
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

As stated earlier in this thread Spanish Moss is an air plant. The only damage Spanish Moss can do to a tree is blocking some of the sunlight from getting to the leaves. Spanish Moss will grow quickly on a sparse tree because it will get more sun that way. It also grows great on the oaks because rain washes nutrients down over it and that's why it grows better on trees than a fence for instance. If it gets to heavy on a branch and is reachable I would remove it from a tree on your property to give that branch more sunlight.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran member
Default is also a great mulch

spanish moss makes a great mulch for your beds. it keeps the weeds out, lets the moisture through, stays put, and best of all.....it is free!
i wish that it were a dark brown earthy color, but otherwise it is great.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Sumter County Master Gardeners newsletter just had an article on spanish moss. As stated above, it will not harm the tree. Any problem with the tree is not from the moss.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Gold member

I grew up in rural Texas where most of the trees had Spanish moss. Those same trees are still there and doing well. You can do more harm messing with nature. Be aware that insects live in the moss so be careful to clean it before you take it inside.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

when we were kids my aunt said there was chiggers in the moss.. that when the moss was stuffed in mattres thats where the term don't let the bed bug bite....not sure if she was right or wanted us to stay out of the tree
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
spanish moss makes a great mulch for your beds. it keeps the weeds out, lets the moisture through, stays put, and best of all.....it is free!
i wish that it were a dark brown earthy color, but otherwise it is great.

We live on the edge of the cow pasture and have huge oaks in our back yard. The cows come down in the evening and they love eating the moss that has blown down on the ground. I'll watch them reach under the fence and clean it out of my shrub beds.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
We live on the edge of the cow pasture and have huge oaks in our back yard. The cows come down in the evening and they love eating the moss that has blown down on the ground. I'll watch them reach under the fence and clean it out of my shrub beds.
I wonder what the nutritional value is, that the cows are eating it??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.