Sprinkler head problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbush View Post
Spray it with silicone or WD 40....it will then pop down - after you clean out around it, if needed
NOT WD-40! That's part petroleum product that will decay the plastic. Never use an oil or grease on plastic. Pull up the head, wipe it with a paper towel and spray a very little Silicone spray. My old lawn guy used to sprinkle clean sand over it. Never made sense to me but he had 30 years experience doing that. I like the clean and spray better.

Sprinkler heads wear out and eventually it'll need to be replaced and adjusted. They are designed to fail (called "mean time to failure") just like light bulbs.

Skip
Old 04-01-2021, 07:37 AM

Sticking shaft, lube or replace. If lucky, replace the inside. Won’t have to dig up. Just suggestion.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:40 AM

If you live south of CR466, I recommend you turn on the sprinkler system every other month, and inspect each pop-up sprinkler head. Observe the flow out of each head. If each pop-up has a good and strong spray pattern, there's nothing else to do. However, if the flow is weak or intermittent, you should remove the top of the affected pop-up, replace the internal filter with a clean one and then reinstall the sprayer top.

The irrigation water has been really gritty of late and the filters get partially or fully clogged. You can buy a small bag of extra filters at Lowes. Once you've replaced the dirty filters, they can be cleaned with your garden hose.

The only downside of doing this yourself is you must get down on the ground and then get up at each sprinkler head.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:43 AM

Don’t get too excited. It WILL happen again. Personally I repair or replace. Easier before it gets broken off.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
If you live south of CR466, I recommend you turn on the sprinkler system every other month, and inspect each pop-up sprinkler head. Observe the flow out of each head. If each pop-up has a good and strong spray pattern, there's nothing else to do. However, if the flow is weak or intermittent, you should remove the top of the affected pop-up, replace the internal filter with a clean one and then reinstall the sprayer top.

The irrigation water has been really gritty of late and the filters get partially or fully clogged. You can buy a small bag of extra filters at Lowes. Once you've replaced the dirty filters, they can be cleaned with your garden hose.

The only downside of doing this yourself is you must get down on the ground and then get up at each sprinkler head.
The filter has nothing to do with the OP's problem.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Default Sprinkler Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
It looks like one of my pop up sprinklers did not go all the way back down. It is two or three inches above ground, perfect to be tripped over or destroyed by a mower. Is there an easy fix, or do I have to call someone?
Give it a light tap on top with your foot. It will go back down. Many times a grain or two of sand gets caught up in them. No need to call anyone.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrew View Post
Give it a light tap on top with your foot. It will go back down. Many times a grain or two of sand gets caught up in them. No need to call anyone.
No shortage of suggestions here. WD40 people seem to spray everything with it.
It was invented as a mold release compound as in casting not fungus. It is more of a cleaner than a lubricant. Try putting some on glass, you will be surprised a few days it is gone. Not an issue here in the wilds of Florida but people used to spray it into locks, it freezes at a fairly high temperature, as opposed to below zero and people wonder why their lock will not open.

Silicone is actually a wax. When the solvent evaporates, a wax film is left behind. May of the lube sprays we all buy are oil and or ???? You do not want to put oil on your sprinkler heads as it may damage the parts and it will cause sand to stick to the parts
Old 04-01-2021, 09:37 AM

Massey does everything for us!
Good people!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Default Sprinkler head

Quote:
It looks like one of my pop up sprinklers did not go all the way back down. It is two or three inches above ground, perfect to be tripped over or destroyed by a mower. Is there an easy fix, or do I have to call someone?
Dig down around it until you reach the connection. Unscrew it. Take it apart to clean it. Screw it back on. Test to see if it’s spraying the right way. Refill hole. Done. If you don’t like doing stuff like that then call someone who does. Lots of options.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Happened to three of mine also. I sprayed WD40 around the area that slides down and that was six months ago. Working perfectly. Hope it works for,you as well.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You have a build up of dirt in the slide. Remove the cilinder and turn on that zone to flush the dirt out. Bring the head in and rinse it off in the sink in your home or garage.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:52 PM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a new fixed head pop up sprinkler unless its a rotator, then get a rotator. I use Orbit because they are easy to adjust, especially the rotators, and I buy multiples cause u never know when one will go out. Sprinkler heads are fairly cheap.
Take a small hand garden shovel and dig up the dirt all around the sprinkler head about a 6" diameter hole(if you have an empty bucket you can put the dirt in it ready for easy replacement. Dig until you are an inch or so below where the sprinkler head screws onto the source pipe. Unscrew the old head and then hand screw the new one on. Do not over tighten. They don't need to be too tight. Replace the dirt all around the sprinkler. With a small screw driver, pull up the pop up part of the of the head and hold it with one hand while you look to see where the opening is set and which direction. Usually there will be one side marked on top with a little knob indicating that is one side of the opening. Turn the top of the very top of the head adjusting it to the width you need. You can turn the sprinkler shaft with your hand to adjust the direction. You will hear it snap or pop, but that is normal.
Sounds involved, but it really isn't and it gets much easier to do once you've done it.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman4163 View Post
Sticking shaft, lube or replace. If lucky, replace the inside. Won’t have to dig up. Just suggestion.
IMO the sticking shafts have scratches or groove that cause them to stick. Something I’d not too bad I just unscrew the top, pull it down on the shaft and scotch brute the shaft removing any defects.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
EASY! Usually unscrew, clean WELL of grit and dirt, little wd40 spray, done. While out, check and clean little screen filter ! No much to this no talent needed. If you decide to replace the entire head any employee at Ace will give you all instruction you need. I of F ag dept. at Sumter Annex also a LOT of FREE help with this!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:56 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

[QUOTE=Pairadocs;1924907]EASY! Usually unscrew, clean WELL of grit and dirt, little wd40 spray, done. While out, check and clean little screen filter ! No much to this no talent needed. If you decide to replace the entire head any employee at Ace will give you all instruction you need. I of F ag dept. at Sumter Annex also a LOT of FREE help with this! Calling someone for something like this will be expensive ... Lots of FREE help, advice, here, take advantage of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
ground, perfect, tripped, destroyed, mower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.