Suggestions for Tree/Shrub for Large Planter

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2023, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts
Default Suggestions for Tree/Shrub for Large Planter

I just had pavers installed in place of the small flower bed that abuts up to the lanai of my patio villa. I plan to buy a large ceramic planter, and am shopping for either a small tree or a medium-sized shrub that would be attractive, hardy, and most of all, last for many years without dying out on me, and thriving inside the ceramic planter. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Any plant will thrive in a pot as long as it’s watered and doesn’t become root bound. Before you choose find a rolling platform that will accommodate the size pot. That way if you need to move it will be on wheels.

There is a small nursery in Magnolia Plaza, you can get an idea from them. If you go to the Saturday farmers markets in Brownwood. There are two booths that sell plants, shrubs, and have good knowledgeable info for what they sell. Will definitely be less $$ than the nursery. Speak to both first, I really like one over the other, when speaking to them.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Lotta things to ask before making any suggestions- (which I would be happy to make -cause I love this stuff ):

How big is a 'big' container? 2 ft. tall/ 2ft. wide?
Will it sit in sun? Morning or afternoon sun? (8 hours) Part sun? (4-6 hours) Part shade? (4-6 hours) Deep shade?
How much space overall are you willing/able to provide? (for mature height and diameter of plant)
How much maintenance/ mess are you willing to handle?
Let's start there.

A few notes: Root systems of some trees can get pretty big, even if they are dwarf trees. Sometimes it's better for the plant AND the container to plant those using a tub inside ceramic pot - you can buy pretty big plastic tubs from a nursery.
Then, if a tree dies or you want to replace it for whatever reason, you won't have to wrestle it out of the ceramic pot.
Different plants have different life spans.
Some look good for a long while, some get gnarly with age.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 08-06-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Lotta things to ask before making any suggestions- (which I would be happy to make -cause I love this stuff ):

How big is a 'big' container? 2 ft. tall/ 2ft. wide?
Will it sit in sun? Morning or afternoon sun? (8 hours) Part sun? (4-6 hours) Part shade? (4-6 hours) Deep shade?
How much space overall are you willing/able to provide? (for mature height and diameter of plant)
How much maintenance/ mess are you willing to handle?
Let's start there.

A few notes: Root systems of some trees can get pretty big, even if they are dwarf trees. Sometimes it's better for the plant AND the container to plant those using a tub inside ceramic pot - you can buy pretty big plastic tubs from a nursery.
Then, if a tree dies or you want to replace it for whatever reason, you won't have to wrestle it out of the ceramic pot.
Different plants have different life spans.
Some look good for a long while, some get gnarly with age.
Thanks for reply - here are more specifics:
1) Still shopping for ceramic planter - want something rather large.
2) will be in direct Sun from about noon until sundown - west facing
3) I have room for a plant/tree to grow as high roof top if necessary (planter will be just outside the eaves of my home, so will not be Heighth-limited.)
4) I have lots of plants already inside my birdcage that I need to tend to several times a week to water, pick off dead blooms, sweep up after, etc - so I’m good with moderate upkeep.

Thank you for the tip of putting on wheels, that way I can roll inside the garage on the few “frost nights” to be on the safe side.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:34 AM

Fairfield Farms, KB Landscape and Village Palms have a good selection of planters. The KB at Magnolia has a smaller location so id recommend the one off of 301. They also have an ongoing “buy one, get the other half off” deal on containers.

If you’re willing and able to move your container, you could look at a Majestic Palm or a Cat Palm. I’d also recommend a “Orange” Bird of Paradise for your container. If you want something taller, you could do a White Bird of Paradise. I also have a “ Elephant Ear” if you wanted something big and wide.

A fountain in your space could also be an option.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Fairfield Farms, KB Landscape and Village Palms have a good selection of planters. The KB at Magnolia has a smaller location so id recommend the one off of 301. They also have an ongoing “buy one, get the other half off” deal on containers.

If you’re willing and able to move your container, you could look at a Majestic Palm or a Cat Palm. I’d also recommend a “Orange” Bird of Paradise for your container. If you want something taller, you could do a White Bird of Paradise. I also have a “ Elephant Ear” if you wanted something big and wide.

A fountain in your space could also be an option.
All good options - thanks so much
Old 08-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

OK- full sun noon til sundown is the toughest to deal with. Limits your choices.

You might consider googling or Youtube-ing - trees/ shrubs for containers in full sun/ central florida. Then you can see pictures of select mature trees/shrubs and find what appeals.
Maybe a dwarf meyer lemon- but that is still a good sized tree and is a little delicate for our 9a zone.

My choices would be something more like: Orange Bird of Paradise (NOT white)
It can grow to 5 ft. , clumps and tends not to be high maintenance. (pull the spent flower spikes- don't cut.)
You can underplant it with (tough) blue daze or railroad vine if you like.
Bird of paradise likes a tall container- it has a long taproot.

Rosemary can be long lived- check Southern Living Plants website for new varieties.
I'd try a weeping variety with an upright variety in the middle.
Rosemary blooms in Spring and makes great kebab skewers and basting brushes for meat on the grill.
Touchable, smells fresh and can be shaped if you like.
Low maintenance.
You might also consider grasses? Purple fountain grass is lovely when the wind blows. It can need some afterwinter grooming but grows into great but manageable clumps about 4 ft. tall.
LOVE elephant ear varieties but they might fry in that much sun and they go dormant in winter.

Dollies with rollers can be a help IF you don't have far to roll the pot.

I prefer using those green frost protective pot covers with drawstrings- I use bamboo stakes in the pot before covering and cover the rim of the pot as well.
Works for me.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
OK- full sun noon til sundown is the toughest to deal with. Limits your choices.

You might consider googling or Youtube-ing - trees/ shrubs for containers in full sun/ central florida. Then you can see pictures of select mature trees/shrubs and find what appeals.
Maybe a dwarf meyer lemon- but that is still a good sized tree and is a little delicate for our 9a zone.

My choices would be something more like: Orange Bird of Paradise (NOT white)
It can grow to 5 ft. , clumps and tends not to be high maintenance. (pull the spent flower spikes- don't cut.)
You can underplant it with (tough) blue daze or railroad vine if you like.
Bird of paradise likes a tall container- it has a long taproot.

Rosemary can be long lived- check Southern Living Plants website for new varieties.
I'd try a weeping variety with an upright variety in the middle.
Rosemary blooms in Spring and makes great kebab skewers and basting brushes for meat on the grill.
Touchable, smells fresh and can be shaped if you like.
Low maintenance.
You might also consider grasses? Purple fountain grass is lovely when the wind blows. It can need some afterwinter grooming but grows into great but manageable clumps about 4 ft. tall.
LOVE elephant ear varieties but they might fry in that much sun and they go dormant in winter.

Dollies with rollers can be a help IF you don't have far to roll the pot.

I prefer using those green frost protective pot covers with drawstrings- I use bamboo stakes in the pot before covering and cover the rim of the pot as well.
Works for me.
My parents had a rosemary bush at their home in Central California for over 40 years - did very well, even a few times where freezing temps got down to low teens. I didn’t think of that - thanks for your reply.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I love this thread!
Here are some of my fave suggestions that should work with your full sun situation:
-Egyptian Star Flower
-Black Eyed Susan
-Coontie
Have fun picking and enjoying your next plant!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 6.34.14 AM.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	99663   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 6.33.14 AM.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	99664   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 6.35.41 AM.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	99665  
Old 08-07-2023, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Sun? No sun? Some sun? be sure to check the proper plant for the area. Ask at a nursery to be sure. AND make sure it can be moved in case of a hurricane.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:19 AM
Default Right plant right place.

[QUOTE=Michael 61;2242187]Thanks for reply - here are more specifics:
1) Still shopping for ceramic planter - want something rather large.
2) will be in direct Sun from about noon until sundown - west facing
3) I have room for a plant/tree to grow as high roof top if necessary (planter will be just outside the eaves of my home, so will not be Heighth-limited.)
4) I have lots of plants already inside my birdcage that I need to tend to several times a week to water, pick off dead blooms, sweep up after, etc - so I’m good with moderate upkeep.

Ask the master gardeners. They have nothing to sell and will give you unbiased advice. They are located in the complex of buildings behind the Sumter sheriffs office on Hwy 466. For hours check: Master Gardener - UF/IFAS Extension
Old 08-07-2023, 06:33 AM
Default Boygainvillea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I just had pavers installed in place of the small flower bed that abuts up to the lanai of my patio villa. I plan to buy a large ceramic planter, and am shopping for either a small tree or a medium-sized shrub that would be attractive, hardy, and most of all, last for many years without dying out on me, and thriving inside the ceramic planter. Any suggestions? Thanks.
We planted a tall stemmed bougainvillea in a LARGE pot by our driveway (approx 3 ft tall, 2 ft wide). Full Sun. Needs less water than many other other plants. Blooms year around. It’s beautiful right now. Has an auto watering spray connected to a nearby shrubbery irrigation head. Make certain that your pot has a drain hole and install a few inches of stone over it covered by a sheet of Landscsping fabric to keep the drain open.

Purchased the pot on sale and the plant ($140) at Village Palms on 466 & Rolling Acres Rd.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:47 AM

Worth going to Yard Stop 4200 Hwy 19A in Mt Dora. Huge selection of pots in all sizes
and a large selection of plants with knowledgeable workers to assist in your selection.
They do deliver.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:41 AM

Hi Michael, I am also in a Patio Villa. I have several Tibouchina which I got for about $15 each. One is 2.5 yrs old & looks beautiful. Went from a tiny plant to a lovely bush in about 2 yrs.
Seems to be pretty tolerate to heat, water, bugs, etc.
Best wishes,
Michele

Native No. Californian
Old 08-07-2023, 10:49 AM

How about a dwarf or semi dwarf fruit tree, all citrus and peach trees do very well here and are frost tolerant.
Closed Thread

Tags
planter, ceramic, small, suggestions, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.