Supporting posts on Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2023, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts
Default Supporting posts on Palm Trees

Hi -

In the newer areas, it is common to see wood braces supporting the newly planted palm trees. As a general rule, how long is it necessary for these braces to be in place before the plam has sufficient rooting, and then can be removed?
Old 05-07-2023, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

I was told.............so verify with an expert (not on ToTV), six months.

Was told by our landscaper after installation.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Hi -

In the newer areas, it is common to see wood braces supporting the newly planted palm trees. As a general rule, how long is it necessary for these braces to be in place before the plam has sufficient rooting, and then can be removed?
Easily found on the net…..

How Long to Stake Palms
Bracing or staking palms provides anchorage and stability to allow newly forming roots to grow outward into the surrounding soil. It should happen as soon as you plant the tree to give it support from the beginning. Once roots stabilize the palm, bracing must be removed.
A minimum bracing time frame of six to eight months is usually necessary. Don't brace palms for more than 12 months. Consider leaving braces up on palms as they endure their first tropical storm season. Including the first storm season, still don't keep the braces on for longer than 12 months.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Easily found on the net…..

How Long to Stake Palms
Bracing or staking palms provides anchorage and stability to allow newly forming roots to grow outward into the surrounding soil. It should happen as soon as you plant the tree to give it support from the beginning. Once roots stabilize the palm, bracing must be removed.
A minimum bracing time frame of six to eight months is usually necessary. Don't brace palms for more than 12 months. Consider leaving braces up on palms as they endure their first tropical storm season. Including the first storm season, still don't keep the braces on for longer than 12 months.
Bogie - I have you on “ignore” and have told you to stop replying to any of my posts, as for some reason you like to “troll” me and posts very condescending remarks like “easily found on net” - I’m still new to the Villages and this site, and you have been nothing but unwelcoming and down right mean from my first time here. Why do you go out of your way to do this? I picture you as some old curmudgeon with no life here in The Villages, with nothing better to do than to spend all day on TOTV being smug and arrogant - please leave me alone and stop trolling me - placing you back on ignore.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Hi -

Six months, or until someone complains to Community Standards that their neighbor is keeping them up too long. Whichever comes later.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bogie - I have you on “ignore” and have told you to stop replying to any of my posts, as for some reason you like to “troll” me and posts very condescending remarks like “easily found on net” - I’m still new to the Villages and this site, and you have been nothing but unwelcoming and down right mean from my first time here. Why do you go out of your way to do this? I picture you as some old curmudgeon with no life here in The Villages, with nothing better to do than to spend all day on TOTV being smug and arrogant - please leave me alone and stop trolling me - placing you back on ignore.
Touchy, touchy…….did not get your memo. Just trying to help as you seem to need it……….
Old 05-07-2023, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Okie - one last thing - If you want to start every post “easily found on net” - then no one should really be asking any questions here at all - as the vast majority can be found in other places beside TOTV - News flash - that is the reason why this site exists - to ask questions (especially by new, younger residents like myself), that have questions about The Villages. Fortunately, I have received many private messages from many users thanking me for my questions, and attempting to keep things “positive” and upbeat here. Sorry that my presence here is such an annoyance for you.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:45 PM
Sage

I refer you to your thread “UPS Tip”. 79 posts and I did not post? Did you send you memo to all or just part of the posters? How many were added to your ignore list?
Old 05-07-2023, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Hi -

Palms have a very shallow root system when they are planted, almost looks like a buzz haircut. Our landscaper said they would come and remove the supports when the palm was ready, and not all palms need the same support time.

Couple of new palms on Meggison have toppled over after the last weeks high winds. Two houses on Burgess palms snapped in half above their support, so that didn’t help. We have six palms at our old house, and everyday wished wind would take them out.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Asian, appreciate the reply
Old 05-08-2023, 06:17 AM

10 post are probably enough. 8 have the same answer.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:46 AM
Exclamation Suggestion!

Keep palms fertilized with palm food to assist in the root development. Palms up to 15’ can stand on their own with at least 6 months spring and summer months. Palms like a Royal grows higher than 20’ will need up to 9 months.

Recommendation…leave all palms braced throughout hurricane season of September to November.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:47 AM

When I had palms, I’d keep them there for 12 months.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Default Stake palm

Quote:
Hi -

Who cares?? Love seeing the amazing palm trees every way I turn. Stakes?
Old 05-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
Who cares?? Love seeing the amazing palm trees every way I turn. Stakes?
Those who are looking at 15 staked palms on common property, out their front and rear of their house. Then watch the wind take them down last week, with stakes still in place.

Those who are new to palms, and didn’t realize the shallow root system, isn’t like planting an oak or whatever tree.

This site used to be a great way to ask questions for new residents, your post is one of hundreds that cause many New to TV, not to ask questions, to keep berating to a minimum.

Tags
supporting, braces, trees, palm, rooting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.