Sylvester palms

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
... he told me we don't do it that way in Florida. Things like that are always priced by the sq ft.
Yep, let's see big house, what kinda car in the garage?

It'll cost ya ......$$$$$$$

Tom you're very right it's how folks here R taken for advantage of every day.

As soon as they get here common sense is gone, they don't get several bids or check online at what things should cost.

I'm always amazed at what people pay for things here.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:23 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Are position

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Serenoa - I agree with you. I recently learned you should not snip a palm frond till it is hanging like a skirt because the rest of the tree receives nutrients from the dying frond.
Unfortunately we are looking for well manicured landscapes so they get snipped as soon as they look unsightly or might be in the way.

KGL - interested in your position on this.
Yes, We completely agree with that statement and that is what we tell our customers.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:07 PM

Just today we had a 6' Sylvester delivered and planted for $115 with a one year warranty. It truly is a great looking palm.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Palm Pruning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Are you kidding me?? You should NEVER cut green healthy fronds off of an
established palm. You DON"T stimulate growth on a palm by pruning. Any reputable, professional landscaper that installs and/or maintains palm trees should know that.

I don't live in TV yet, nor do I even live in Florida, but I've been growing cold hardy palms in Alabama, Georgia & Texas since the late 70s. I do know a little about palms. But still, for anyone that may doubt my word over this landscaper here is a link to a general overview about palm pruning by the Brevard county extension office.

Palm Pruning and Maintenance
Mr. Serenoa and all,

We don't prune healthy green fronds. What I was trying to say was in response to your first concern for our Sylvester photo. where you asked if the homeowner could have a possible problem with the placement of their Sylvester palm, which we addressed. Again, we discussed all the options and future issues that could arise with our client. Taking the health of the palm into consideration. As far as the 'one statement' I made about pruning was to get the point across to remember maintenance plays a vital role in the continuing health of any plant or palm. We discourage all of our homeowners from pruning any frond too quickly. The article you provided is really good information as they are giving good research and vital field information. We are only talking about removing one or two fronds off the bottom, if needed, to raise it slightly if it did happened to impose a concern. In our 13 year of hands on experience and training have we ever weakened a palm or destroyed its health from this type of clipping off a few fronds before a palm becomes fully established. I was never trying to say that we should give it a Hurricane cut or prune it into a topiary. Thank you Angie Fox for your article as well. That is what we believe. We have multiple multiple years of classroom certifications and licensing, as well as hands on three generations of hands on experience. We are Not out to hurt anyone (or palm). We stand behind our high quality products and customer service. I have spent countless hours and years with growers and nurserys and I know my product, how to care for it, and how to pass the knowledge on to our clients.
Thank you,
KGL Landscaping
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Default great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
Just today we had a 6' Sylvester delivered and planted for $115 with a one year warranty. It truly is a great looking palm.
where did you get this tree? what a bargain!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
where did you get this tree? what a bargain!
Is this Sylvester 6' of trunk or from the ground to the top of the fronds???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.