Sylvester palms

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Serenoa - I agree with you. I recently learned you should not snip a palm frond till it is hanging like a skirt because the rest of the tree receives nutrients from the dying frond.
Unfortunately we are looking for well manicured landscapes so they get snipped as soon as they look unsightly or might be in the way.

KGL - interested in your position on this.
gomoho, you are correct.... Here is what I found on the internet....

Palm tree trimming guidelines | Angies List

"Palm trees don't need pampering, but an occasional trim will keep them healthy and looking their best. Before trimming yourself, consider a tree care professional and know these tips for palm tree trimming. Reasons to trim a palm tree
A common myth is that frequent pruning will make palm trees grow faster, but the opposite is true. Palms get nutrients from the green fronds (or leaves) on the tree. When too many are removed, growth slows and the tree is more susceptible to pests and disease. Most palm trees grow a new frond only as another one dies, so it's important not to trim too often. Experts suggest trimming only when necessary. Remove only brown and yellow fronds. These not only look less tidy, but might also harbor insects and rodents.
How to trim a palm tree
Most tree-trimming services will remove yellow, brown and broken fronds, along with any palm flowers and fruit stalks. Flowers and fruit use energy that could go into growth of fronds. The fruit is also removed because it can stain sidewalks and cause a safety hazard for people below the tree.
When green leaves must be removed, remove only those that droop at an angle below a parallel line to the ground.
The loose petioles (also called boots) on the trunk should be only removed by hand. If they can't be removed without tools, they should stay on the tree.
For tall trees, use a cherry picker, ladders or other climbing gear that will not hurt the tree. Climbing spikes, still often used, damage the trunk of the tree and may spread diseases as they're used from tree to tree. Any tool used to trim or prune should be cleaned between trees to prevent the spread of disease.
Finally, palms should never be topped, or have the crown cut off. The crown will not grow back on a shorter trunk and the tree will not branch. Instead, it will kill the tree.
What to look for in a palm-trimming service
If possible, hire an arborist with a certificate of qualification, such as a Certified Arborist from the International Society of Arboriculture. This professional specializes in tree care. Otherwise, look for a landscaping service that specializes in palm tree care.
Before hiring a service, ask how they'll trim the tree. Avoid companies that offer to trim the tree in unnatural shapes (such as a pineapple shape for the Canary Date Palm) or overprune the tops. View photos of the company's other work on palms to see how much they've trimmed.
Always check a company's credentials and references. Make sure that the company's license is valid and that workers are covered by liability insurance to make sure that you or the homeowner are not liable in case of injury."
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Some professional landscapers recommend putting Epsom salts on your palms. The Florida agriculture dept says...DO NOT put Epsom salt on your palms....hmmmm, guess our landscape experts don't have all of the answers.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM

After having a Sylvester Palm planted, does the landscaper return to clean the bark?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran member
Default clean the bark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekars1 View Post
After having a Sylvester Palm planted, does the landscaper return to clean the bark?
what do you mean 'clean the bark'?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Sage
Default Epsom Salts

Actually.... if you google it, you will find that epsom salts is very much recommended for palm trees.

How to Apply Epsom Salt to Palm Trees | eHow

Epsom Salts for Palm Trees? | Ask Mr. Greenthumb

"Berni P. wrote:
Looking for info on palm trees. Is there any value to adding epsom salts and if
so, how much?
Dear Berni:
My book titled, Stan DeFreitas Complete Guide To Florida Gardening, has a listing of
palms and information. Magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) is one of the macro-elements
and is used in a higher amount than the micro-elements. It will help to green up your
palms. Normally a couple of cups spread evenly around the palm will be helpful. Use
no more than 3 lbs. on a big palm.
Hope this is helpful.
My Best,
Stan"
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage

I think on the Epsom salt issue I will go with the Florida Agriculture Department.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Just got my Sylvester Palm tree .Who Diamond cut the tree ? I look at everyone else and the bark looks nice Mine does not look nice .Does anyone know who well come and do a diamond cut for me
Thank You
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Sage

The landscaper brought our Ribbon Palm already diamond cut. Check with who you got the palm from and see if they'll come do it.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Sage

Where did U buy it?

Should have been cut, R U sure it's a sylvester
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Mary View Post
Just got my Sylvester Palm tree .Who Diamond cut the tree ? I look at everyone else and the bark looks nice Mine does not look nice .Does anyone know who well come and do a diamond cut for me
Thank You
The company where you purchased the tree should be able to suggest a professional who will do a diamond cut. Our Landscaper (Terrascape) provided someone to do the diamond cut on our double sylvester as part of the purchase price.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Yes it is a Sylvester .
Leo's Landscaping put the tree in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGL Landscaping View Post
pic of sylvester
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Where did U buy it?

Should have been cut, R U sure it's a sylvester
Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

We had our landscaping done by Terrascape. They came back after a couple of weeks and diamond cut the trunk of the Sylvester. The diamond cutting was part of the price of the whole project. Took the worker at least 2 hours and a reciprocal saw to do the job. Makes a big difference in how the Palm looks.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

When I found out the cost to trim the trunk was $100/foot, I bought my own reciprocating saw for $100 and did it myself. Will save quite a bit of money, but not easy. I'm a gal.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage

The tree is only $85-100 a foot to buy, the labor rate here is $8-15 an hour at most.

How can anyone be foolish enough to pay a $100 a foot to cut the bark
Old 06-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
The tree is only $85-100 a foot to buy, the labor rate here is $8-15 an hour at most.

How can anyone be foolish enough to pay a $100 a foot to cut the bark
I think that people don't really know how much things cost around here. You have to ask a lot of questions an interview several landscapers before you do business with them. I asked a guy who was doing a brick and sand patio how much a sq ft cost and he told me we don't do it that way in Florida. Things like that are always priced by the sq ft.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.