termite

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Default termite

so do I have to have my lawn treated for termites the first year, I close in sept. and whats a fair price for lawn care,thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,104 Times in 380 Posts

This has come up many times and you will get more comments than you can imagine if you do a search of this site for "Termites".

The answer may be influenced as to whether you are buying new or buying preowned.

I bought new and was told that the land was treated during the building process and we got a 5 year guarantee, but it required a yearly inspection for which you have to pay. When they came to inspect they then bring up the topic of flying termites which can enter your attic and they get you to pay for added treatment which then inflates the yearly inspection fee.
The annual inspection is a 15 minute check looking for mud trails or evidence of termites but no additional treatment unless something is found.
After 5 years , they try to get you to spend about $500 to install termite tubes which they install around the house. They don't stop termites but an inspection of the tube can give advance warning of termite invasion.
All of this is to basically keep a warranty in place to repair any damage caused by termites.
I personally have not heard of any neighbors having termite problems but previous posts may give you some insight.
Personal opinion after 7 years is that on a new house at my age, is that I'll repair the damage if they ever show up. I can look for mud trails as well as they can. However, I have paid the annual inspection fee up to this point. Something like $100 per year that I probably am wasting. Many might disagree.
But you must make your own decision. I believe the companies encourage us to pay for this service even though the potential is low.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

How much will it cost you for a new-from-scratch termite inspection/treatment when you decide to sell the house eventually?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
How much will it cost you for a new-from-scratch termite inspection/treatment when you decide to sell the house eventually?
It shouldn't cost you a cent for a termite inspection. If a buyer chooses to have a home inspection which would include a termite inspection, the cost of that inspection is paid by them.

If the inspection shows a sign of any type of termites, you would be responsible for the cost of treatment since you should be turning the property over to them in good condition. The cost of the treatment would be determined by the type of termites and where they are located. There is no way to even give an educated guess.

If your house is relatively new, I don't think you have much to worry about.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
so do I have to have my lawn treated for termites the first year, I close in sept. and whats a fair price for lawn care,thanks
You don't treat your lawn for termites.

If you have someone simply cut and edge your lawn (no weeding or hedge trimming or fertilization)
it should run you about $50 a month for once a week service.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
It shouldn't cost you a cent for a termite inspection. If a buyer chooses to have a home inspection which would include a termite inspection, the cost of that inspection is paid by them.

If the inspection shows a sign of any type of termites, you would be responsible for the cost of treatment since you should be turning the property over to them in good condition. The cost of the treatment would be determined by the type of termites and where they are located. There is no way to even give an educated guess.

If your house is relatively new, I don't think you have much to worry about.
The purchaser usually requires you to provide a termite inspection letter.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-26-2014, 02:26 AM

Termites do not travel thru your yard and the termites co. will tell you anything to get your business and buy there protection, termites travel thru the soil about three feet below the surface and only show up around areas that have alot of water or moisture like water lines ac drip lines, it takes years of eating for termites to do any damage its probably one of the biggest scams in the villages because the houses are to new I worked in the industry for many many years GOOD LUCK check everything on the web for your selves
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.