Are there any mulch no-no's in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2023, 03:07 PM
Default Are there any mulch no-no's in TV?

Landscaper just dug out my juniper bushes. Are there any rules about mulches that can/cannot be used in TV? Don't want to have to undo something. Thanks

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 09-29-2023, 03:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

I’ve used Pine Bark and pine needles and placed river rock boarding home with no issues.
Pine bark seems to last longer than regular mulch.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I’ve used Pine Bark and pine needles and placed river rock boarding home with no issues.
Pine bark seems to last longer than regular mulch.
I use pine bark in my flower beds. A neighbor uses pine straw, and her beds always look lovely. I was using cedar until I found out that pollinators don't like it. I like my honeybees butterflies and even the red wasps that flitter around my flowering herbs, so I made the switch to the less expensive pine and it's working out fairly well.

Cedar is a better weed prevention, but pine is more eco-friendly.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

I have seen reports from people about problems with rubber mulch, if I recall correctly, it floated away in heavy rains.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Pine straw. Buy it by the bale at Lowes or Home Depot. It's what The Villages uses everywhere, and as you can see, holds down the weeds pretty well. Looks fine, cheap, and easy to use.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Landscaper just dug out my juniper bushes. Are there any rules about mulches that can/cannot be used in TV? Don't want to have to undo something. Thanks
No posted rules. If any doubts, call Community Standards.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have seen reports from people about problems with rubber mulch, if I recall correctly, it floated away in heavy rains.
The downsides of using rubber mulch
It doesn't have the nutrient quality of organic mulch. In fact, it doesn't have ANY nutrients at all. ...
It contains hazardous and toxic chemicals that do considerable damage. ...
It can't be tilled into your soil. ...
It's costly.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Check for compliance - folks here may not have gotten the approval to change anything from ARC but are telling you it's okay to change!
VCDD Community Standards
Pulling out the Junipers may require that approval!

Old 09-30-2023, 06:05 PM

Remove and replace does not require approval
Old 10-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Default Community of NO!

Funny way to write the post, 'no's' I do agree does one ever get sure ok yes?
Old 10-01-2023, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Pine straw is best I think. I do a lot of gardening and the pine straw, and I was very negative about it when I first arrived, has enriched my soil tremendously. It is acidic and the soil here is very alkaline, so it balances the soil out very well. Cheap, readily available and easy to spread. If you do not want to do it yourself, I have used Adams Earth and they will deliver and or spread if you wish. It does make a mess in your car. For Pete’s sake, do not use rocks.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Pine straw is best I think. I do a lot of gardening and the pine straw, and I was very negative about it when I first arrived, has enriched my soil tremendously. It is acidic and the soil here is very alkaline, so it balances the soil out very well. Cheap, readily available and easy to spread. If you do not want to do it yourself, I have used Adams Earth and they will deliver and or spread if you wish. It does make a mess in your car. For Pete’s sake, do not use rocks.
I like pine straw when it’s fresh, but TV changes it out a couple times annually for a reason. It gets very ugly as it ages because It flattens out and turns gray. Unfortunately, most villagers who have it don’t refresh it as needed, and it looks unsightly. We were also told by our pest control company that the pine straw is full of bugs, and that has been our experience in the front yard where we still have the straw.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:28 AM

I’ve used small pine nuggets from Southern. I like to grow roses, so I didn’t want the heat problems caused by rocks. If you use non-pine straw “mulch,” you may find some ugly/so ugly they’re beautiful mushrooms popping up. I didn’t like the look of pine straw. The small pine nuggets lasted 2 years.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
cypress is the best, buy in bulk. The colored mulches (especially black) attracts termites. Pine bark mates with bugs very will and the pine straw they use makes it very easy for all sorts of pests to hide out. I've learned the hard way in florida..... just lending my lessons learned
Old 10-01-2023, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have used rubber mulch and never had a rain so hard (or a flood) that it floated away.
Closed Thread

Tags
undo, can/cannot, rules, mulches, bushes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.