Things Not To Plant in your yard.

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietpine View Post
There is a live oak tree behind our house. It’s on TV property but is close enough to shed its leaves on our yard. That happens once a year. It’s a nuisance for about a month but our lawn service removes them when they mow. But the majestic tree is beautiful to look at from the lanai, it provides shade in the back yard, blocks the sun and during storms becomes a wind screen. So yes, the leaves are a bother but the tree gives more than it takes and that is a good measure.
Those live oaks lose something year round.....not just a month.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matandch View Post
Depends on the individual. I like trees and all they do for the environment. Plus I’m still in pretty good health and am not averse to doing work. Yard work is good exercise that in the long run might contribute to a longer life.
I agree completely. Trees and plants in tropical environments often have thorns. I grew up with poisonous thorny plants but learned to keep my distance. And I learned an appreciation for them. Yards and gardens weren't so "controlled" because of the thorns. But they were pretty.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:33 PM
Veteran member

Live oaks are probably my most favorite tree. However, they grow a minimum of 50" tall and 50' wide, and the postage-size lots in TV are not large enough to accommodate them.

I agree completely with you but your quote of 40 X 40 is off. They get 40 to 80ft high and 80 to 140 ft wide. They should have never been planted here. They are a tree to be planted a distance from the house. They will cause a problem as they mature.

Last edited by big guy; 02-25-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Yes, we sold our home to the new Wegman's manager. They were a couple from NY, one managed Hunt Valley Wegmans and the other was assistant manager of the one that was still under construction in Abingdon at the time. I lived just about across the street from the new Wegmans, we were in Constant Friendship. When go west on 24 from I-95 toward Bel Air, they were the homes on the right that you would see the back of. We went back in 2013 on the Autotrain and we finally got to shop at the new Wegmans. I don't know if you can tell, but the cap in my avatar is a Ravens hat.
Well, good to meet ya! We are from Chesapeake Beach. I commute between TV and MD often... still working in MD, although remote..
Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 View Post
I will assume you are speaking about Washingtonia Palms and what you have called a "petticoat" is called a skirt. I cannot imagine that your yard is "full of their debris" because they shed very infrequently (perhaps only one or two fronds) in high winds and that is why they have a skirt.
You will find Washingtonia Palms all over Florida and in California, interestingly, a variety of the Washingtonia Palm is their state palm!

I have a feeling those palms were there before you. If you resent having to pick up the fronds -- don't! Let your yard man pick them up..
So why are they laying everywhere after storm? IMO the ugliest palm of the all.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGurl View Post
Hi all, new to FL and TV. So what would you suggest planting in a small area for privacy? The landscaper suggested 2 Bougainville. After reading your comments I told him definitely not. Thank you.
Try planting Bayberry (bush that can grow into tree). Fast growing, very little maintenance, has fragrance that attracts birds and butterflies. Original use was to make candles.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Default Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 View Post
Bougainvilleas do not invade everything!
Yes, they have thorns, and as long as you know that (you know that now!), they need to be planted responsibly, meaning in the proper place. They are beautiful, thrive on neglect (!), and are easily pruned back, if necessary.

The Crown of Thorns is a completely different plant from Bougainvilleas and the Bougainvillea was not the plant adorning the head of Jesus.
Don't you think, Jesus was smarter than that?
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, palms, grow, oak, leaves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.