Things Not To Plant in your yard.

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 05:59 AM

Where were you 8 1/2 years ago? I wish I'd never planted palms. What a mess! Can't wait till they are dead and gone but then I might be before they are.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:13 AM

Thank you for all the great advice! So, what trees WOULD you recommend? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 AM

Hi all, new to FL and TV. So what would you suggest planting in a small area for privacy? The landscaper suggested 2 Bougainville. After reading your comments I told him definitely not. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 AM
Default Tree hater

You just don’t like or appreciate the Beaty and air they provide the sHade from the relentless sun[how sad a yard without a tree

QUOTE=bobdeb;1904808]Just my opinion, however, I do have some experience with the following.

These are some things I highly recommend you Do Not plant in your yard in The Villages. Please add whatever else you feel is appropriate.

1. Live Oak. Well, you may not have a choice here as one may already exist on your property. I love oak trees, and the shade they offer is welcomed from the heat of the sun.

However, you be forever dealing with relentless and testy little leaves and acorns that are difficult to control and clean up. They will ruin your lawn.

Personally, I would resist buying a home that already had an oak tree in the yard. And your nearby neighbor's live oak tree will also add to your endless yardwork.

They grow slowly but will eventually become enormous and offer yet more leaves and acorns.

2. Magnolia trees. These also grow very large and add to your relentless yard work. The flowers are lovely but I'm not a big fan of the huge leaves.

3. Citrus trees. Don't do it. It's tempting I know. Citrus trees take more care than one might imagine. So many of these grow unattended. There may be exceptions with some folks but the fruit will be beyond your ability to process or give away. It will fall and rot and attrack rats. And, in turn, the rats will attract snakes. Fruit trees are especially problematic for snow birds to manage.

The upside is that many citrus trees are quite attractive and the scent of the blossoms is exquisite.

4. Palm trees. I have four sylvester (king) palms, one pindo and one European fan.

The king and queen palms will grow beyond your ability to prune yourself. You will have to hire a crew annually to do that for you. Also, all palms have incredibly nasty thorns. You could lose an eye if not careful. The immature leaves are sharp spikes. Queen palm pods are extremely heavy and they will fall. The fruit from the king palms is significant to clean up.

European fan palms are full of needle like black slivers.

Face it, these trees evolved to protect themselves. It's tempting but don't plant palm trees. You'll thank me some day.

5. Anything else with nasty thorns unless you want a barrier between your home and your neighbors.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-20-2021, 06:40 AM

I had two queen palms removed just recently for just the reasons you stated. In addition, an irrigation line near the tree had a large leak. I had to use a sawzall to get to the line due to all of the roots from the queen palm. One question - Is there any tree that would be appropriate?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Hemp
Old 02-20-2021, 06:44 AM

We have 3 Sylvesters, a Ribbon palm, and several Sugar palms too around are pool, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. After all we do live in Florida. To not have them would be like not having firs and pine trees in the mountains! Yes there upkeep is a hassle, but if you like them and can afford the upkeep, plant them!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:08 AM

Depends on the individual. I like trees and all they do for the environment. Plus I’m still in pretty good health and am not averse to doing work. Yard work is good exercise that in the long run might contribute to a longer life.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Oak Trees, I bought a new home in Pinellas Park Florida in 1976, that's between Clearwater and St. Pete. Since it was new, the developer had cleared out all the trees as so many do. So I left one year later in '77 there only shrubs in the front yard.

A couple of years ago I googled the address and on google maps street view the front had the biggest oak tree you can fit. I just took a screen shot of the home. This tree did not exist in 1977. A little extra info, I paid $35,500 for the home new and it sold a couple of years ago for $212K, and it was tiny, only 1200 sf, it was tan with dark brown Bahama Shutters over the front two windows.

The Villages Florida
Thanks for the photo. Folks don’t seem to realize how fast trees grow here, including “slow” growth species.

We have a live oak on the property behind us. Although we cut off any limbs coming over the fence to our side, a day will come when we can no longer reach it. The squirrels that it attracts climb our birdcage, are destructive, and like to tease the dog. The tree has grown quite a bit in the 5 years since we moved into this house.

Wish I knew then what I know now!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:32 AM

Agave Cactus is another one that should be added to your list. They multiply, get big and some have sharp points. Also, if they should flower they die and a mess to get rid of.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Black snakes are your friend and harmless, let them be.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree, I’ve got two. Every time I trim them I pull out bloodily stub of hand along with scratched up arms.
Lowe’s & other stores sell palm gloves for pruning. They are heavy gauge & long sleeved. I use them while working with my palm trees & this plant
Old 02-20-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

I went back and looked at my first villa on the golf course in Mallory and could not believe the size of the magnolia that was planted there when I bought it. It would be 16 years old now and it must be 15 feet above the villa fence. No thank u. They are on the golf course I live on, but 50 feet away and are great to look out.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:48 AM

There is a live oak tree behind our house. It’s on TV property but is close enough to shed its leaves on our yard. That happens once a year. It’s a nuisance for about a month but our lawn service removes them when they mow. But the majestic tree is beautiful to look at from the lanai, it provides shade in the back yard, blocks the sun and during storms becomes a wind screen. So yes, the leaves are a bother but the tree gives more than it takes and that is a good measure.

Last edited by quietpine; 02-20-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 02-20-2021, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Oak Trees, I bought a new home in Pinellas Park Florida in 1976, that's between Clearwater and St. Pete. Since it was new, the developer had cleared out all the trees as so many do. So I left one year later in '77 there only shrubs in the front yard.

A couple of years ago I googled the address and on google maps street view the front had the biggest oak tree you can fit. I just took a screen shot of the home. This tree did not exist in 1977. A little extra info, I paid $35,500 for the home new and it sold a couple of years ago for $212K, and it was tiny, only 1200 sf, it was tan with dark brown Bahama Shutters over the front two windows.

The Villages Florida
That tree IS ENORMOUS!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, palms, grow, oak, leaves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.