Transplanting bush

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Transplanting bush

I have a bourganevios (sp?) bush in front of my house that needs to be moved. Back in NY/NJ rule of thumb was after Mothers Day. What are the guidelines here?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkshop View Post
I have a bourganevios (sp?) bush in front of my house that needs to be moved. Back in NY/NJ rule of thumb was after Mothers Day. What are the guidelines here?

Thanks
I would not transplant your bougainvillea until we are through with the danger of any frost happening. It isn't worth taking the chance because bougainvilleas are frost sensitive.

I would wait until at least -- early Spring. When you transplant, make sure you water it as you plant to remove any possibility of air pockets. Keep in mind that bougainvilleas thrive on neglect, once established! They need minimal fertilization.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 PM
KittyKat

I would wait until April. We've had frosts in late March. They like sun and don't overwater.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:54 AM

If it gets cold enough for the plant to lose all the leaves leaves, I would move the plant ASAP, prior to spring growth.

Be sure to get a large amount of root, they tend to be very long. The small roots at the end are the important ones.
Bougies like to be planted at the right depth, not deep enough being the worst side to err.
Water in the root well at the time of transplanting, making sure the air pockets are gone and the root ball well bedded. Try to spread the roots in a similar way as they were when you dug them.
Water, give a little often, specially on those warm winter days we have around here. Could be once a week if the plant lost leaves to the cold and is dormant, if the plant has new growth, once a day might not be enough.
The size and age of the plant, and the amount of root you saved denotes how many weeks you need to supplement water.

IMPORTANT.... Is true established Bougies don't require much water (compared to many other plants), BUT... most newly planted and transplanted Bougs that don't make it, died from not enough water, with a sad owner looking on saying "but Bougainvillea don't LIKE water".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.