To Tree or not to Tree

Old 02-22-2024, 08:55 AM
Default To Tree or not to Tree

Forget ARC. When you build a home, a tree is required by the COUNTY and STATE building codes.( Maybe more than 1 depending on the size of the lot.) And for good reasons.

Yes, they might be low quality and ugly, and should be replaced with better looking and even a better species...... but too many people are choosing to delete having a tree at all, particularly in the new section's smaller front yards.

Think about how much future shade will be cast on all those hot shingles, concrete driveways, and black asphalt roads. Multiply times each home in The Villages.

If you opt for a palm Roebelenii DOES NOT COUNT, nor those dwarf red crepe myrtles or bottlebrush, they just don't get there. Yes there will be leaves to rake, or fronds, maybe even pine needles (wow, free mulch!) but you can pick your tree by choosing what you are willing to do to get the attributes you would like.

ASK HERE and I will help.

PLEASE PLEASE... have a tree. There was likely more than 1 on the little piece of ground you now call home, you know... back before the developer, "developed" it.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

It’s a lovely idea. I hope you also mention the regular work involved, a neighbor is 92 and still tries to rake up the constantly falling (on his neighbor’s property too) oak leaves. He has energy for 5 minutes raking at a time. Another neighbor’s magnolia leaves are over 6 houses away blown by the wind. And two neighbors have corner lots with king palms. One pays quite a bit to have them cut the frost bitten parts off every year. The other one paid thousands of dollars to have them removed because they were (for 10 years) over some drain unit (and she was reported) although she bought the place like that. Also think of storms and make sure they are not too close to the house if they fall.

So do your research and chose the type of tree you want to maintain. But yes, please do chose trees. The whole neighborhood looks less “industrial” when there are trees. You will be happier coming home. Birds will sing for you by your window. You can have a bit of Florida’s nature all to yourself!
Old 02-22-2024, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

OK, that's gotta be BS. There are neighborhoods in TV where you could drive for miles without ever seeing a single real tree. I am positive there is not a single tree in the entire neighborhood where my CYV rental is located.

If you hate trees (as apparently, nearly everyone who is not actively buying a house does), please don't buy a tree that you are just going to beg someone to cut down, the first time you see leaves on your pristine lawn.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

The state of Florida doesn't require property owners to plant trees on their properties. Sumter county tree planting law says only that the county "may require street trees when an adequate number of trees do not exist on a lot." https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau.../article_8.pdf article (8.d.6)

There are laws about existing trees and historic trees, but nothing saying new trees must be planted.

We had two trees on our property. One had a previous termite infestation and half of it was dead, the other one was rooting into the foundation of our garage and destroying our dwelling. We removed both of them, and I planted a lemon tree sapling in place of one of them. The sapling is now a healthy juvenile tree that had three lemons last year, and so far nothing this year. It's still under 6 feet tall though and resembles a bush more than it looks like a tree.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Forget ARC. When you build a home, a tree is required by the COUNTY and STATE building codes.( Maybe more than 1 depending on the size of the lot.) And for good reasons.

Please provide a citation and link for those County and State requirements.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 PM

I’d say plant some flowers if you’re not up for a tree.
Flowers are not only beautiful, they will help the pollinators and the birds that feed on them. The food chain starts there.

Remember, if the insects go, we go.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:34 PM

Building codes, not zoning or code enforcement.
I already read all the codes a few times so feel free to do your own legwork so you can tell me how wrong I am.
I will however be here to help people that want help choosing a tree, as a free of charge/community kinda thing.

If you want to look up the codes that requires a tree or trees on new home lots prior to closing have at it.
Though if you'll notice... TV is putting a tree (or trees) at EVERY home, notice the terrible quality of most, and you can deduce they are NOT doing it, to help sales.

The requirement has been around a long time (decades) and was revised as to variety of trees allowed a few years back... no one was using very many actual native trees anyway... less important can of worms there, I'll leave it closed.

Last edited by Ozzello; 02-22-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
OK, that's gotta be BS. There are neighborhoods in TV where you could drive for miles without ever seeing a single real tree. I am positive there is not a single tree in the entire neighborhood where my CYV rental is located.

If you hate trees (as apparently, nearly everyone who is not actively buying a house does), please don't buy a tree that you are just going to beg someone to cut down, the first time you see leaves on your pristine lawn.
Yep, there's some BS going on alright.
The trees WERE THERE, people TAKE THEM OUT and don't REPLACE THEM... hence the subject of this thread.
Now the pristine lawn thing... you CAN actually drive many a mile without finding one of those LOL.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
I already read all the codes a few times so feel free to do your own legwork so you can tell me how wrong I am.
I will however be here to help people that want help choosing a tree, as a free of charge/community kinda thing.

If you want to look up the codes that requires a tree or trees on new home lots prior to closing have at it.
Though if you'll notice... TV is putting a tree (or trees) at EVERY home, notice the terrible quality of most, and you can deduce they are NOT doing it, to help sales.

The requirement has been around a long time (decades) and was revised as to variety of trees allowed a few years back... no one was using very many actual native trees anyway... less important can of worms there, I'll leave it closed.
If you want to make a claim that something is true, it's up to you to cite your source. I actually went through the trouble of checking, and didn't find anything to indicate that what you claim is true.

To everyone else: I would suggest, very strongly, that you NOT get in touch with this person to try and get help choosing a tree for your lawn. Tis the season to be scammed.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

So no citation and no link just emphatic assertions. Got it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-22-2024, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If you want to make a claim that something is true, it's up to you to cite your source. I actually went through the trouble of checking, and didn't find anything to indicate that what you claim is true.

To everyone else: I would suggest, very strongly, that you NOT get in touch with this person to try and get help choosing a tree for your lawn. Tis the season to be scammed.
When you build a house, you choose a tree, or trees... no tree is not an option. Because a tree is required at every lot, by the county codes, and backed up by the State. A fact is a fact no matter how sincerely you state otherwise. And regardless of "proof" to your satisfaction.

Again, here to help people find a tree that suits them and become less destructive to this beautiful Florida landscape, and plant for a healthier future. This has been my home for half a century, and when I see detrimental acts becoming widespread and commonplace, like removing all canopy trees, because they are inconvenient.... then I have no choice but to speak, give advice, and offer help to those who can see the forest through the trees(or lack thereof) and wish to help remedy the OBVIOUS ISSUE of TREES BEING REMOVED AT ALMOST EVERY NEW HOME.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Not looking to "get in touch" with anyone. Only to openly and honestly help folks who would like to find a good species of tree for them, know what that species is. Then go buy one somewhere, anywhere... Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, but NOT from me, I have more work than I want already. Why has this become a thread about what is or isn't in the building codes? Can you not drive around all the new homes built near Lake Denim and Lake Okahumpka and see the issue for yourself?
Old 02-22-2024, 11:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Wow... "No good deed goes unpunished."
Old 02-23-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, they might be low quality and ugly, and should be replaced with better looking and even a better species...... but too many people are choosing to delete having a tree at all, particularly in the new section's smaller front yards.

Think about how much future shade will be cast on all those hot shingles, concrete driveways, and black asphalt roads. Multiply times each home in The Villages.

If you opt for a palm Roebelenii DOES NOT COUNT, nor those dwarf red crepe myrtles or bottlebrush, they just don't get there. Yes there will be leaves to rake, or fronds, maybe even pine needles (wow, free mulch!) but you can pick your tree by choosing what you are willing to do to get the attributes you would like.

ASK HERE and I will help.

PLEASE PLEASE... have a tree. There was likely more than 1 on the little piece of ground you now call home, you know... back before the developer, "developed" it.
Many District Deed compliance require at least one TREE. You are correct.

South FL considers palms weeds now just sayin. Plant a tree, they produce oxygen. Right?

Would be interesting to know how many people in The Villages are saying no on trees because of the leaves yet still push a "climate change" and "carbon emissions" montra?

Not a disbeliever in the fact that the the earth's climate changes naturally. Plant a tree.

Any Village leaf haters that are climate "virtue signalers" would seem to be Village hypocrits.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 02-23-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:52 AM

Having been involved with building 3 houses with the Villagers Habitat Club in Lake County, I can tell you that there are rules for trees. Whether The Villages has an exemption, I have no idea. The information below was taken from the Lake County web site.

What are the tree requirements for a single-family residence?

Two trees for lots 6,000 square feet or less
Three trees for 6,001 to 10,000 square feet
Five trees for more than 10,001 square feet to one acre
Add three more trees per acre over one acre – not to exceed 15
Three acres = 11 trees
Four acres = 14 trees
Five acres = 15 trees
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Tags
tree, home, choosing, count, wow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.