To Tree or not to Tree

Old 02-23-2024, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
Many District Deed compliance require at least one TREE. You are correct.

Plant a tree, they produce oxygen. Right?
Any Village leaf haters that are climate virtue signalers seem to be Village hypocrits lol...

The point about CO2 levels is that the oxygen reproducing plants and the human producing CO2 activity balance is out of balance. So planting trees is the best and maybe only option. . .
also known as biodiversity. Golf cart use versus automobiles may be helpful . .

The point about rising earth temperatures is that the green plants some with shade have been replaced with steel, cement and asphalt, which are heat sinks. They absorb and retain heat. So TV development is contributing towards global warming.

Lets always work towards helping create more O so that we can use O as we please. .
Old 02-23-2024, 07:14 AM

This thread is very timely for me. My home is in Lake County. I’m currently preparing to submit ARC for landscaping. If I’m not mistaken, I am required to plant 2 canopy trees, each having a circumference of 4 inches and a height of 6 feet. Since I’m not familiar with Florida canopy trees, I would like to know more about trees that are less invasive, less upkeep and those that will be smaller trees. Thank you so much.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
Many District Deed compliance require at least one TREE. You are correct.

South FL considers palms weeds now just sayin. Plant a tree, they produce oxygen. Right?

Would be interesting to know how many people in The Villages are saying no on trees because of the leaves yet still push a "climate change" and "carbon emissions" montra?

Not a disbeliever in the fact that the the earth's climate changes naturally. Plant a tree.

Any Village leaf haters that are climate "virtue signalers" would seem to be Village hypocrits.
If many deed restrictions require at least one tree, can you point to a deed restriction within the Sumter County portion of the Villages that has such a requirement? I have looked at a random deed restriction from CDD5, CDD10, CDD12, and CDD13 and could find no mention of such a requirement. There is a requirement that approval be granted before a tree is removed but no requirement that at least one tree be present.

Note that there is a requirement to gain approval before some trees are planted.

Far too much time is spent arguing about what someone believes is a requirement or someone's barber said was a requirement or what someone wants as a requirement. The very least that ought to be done is to be able to show that the requirement truly exists.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-23-2024, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Forget ARC. When you build a home, a tree is required by the COUNTY and STATE building codes.( Maybe more than 1 depending on the size of the lot.) And for good reasons.

Yes, they might be low quality and ugly, and should be replaced with better looking and even a better species...... but too many people are choosing to delete having a tree at all, particularly in the new section's smaller front yards.

Think about how much future shade will be cast on all those hot shingles, concrete driveways, and black asphalt roads. Multiply times each home in The Villages.

If you opt for a palm Roebelenii DOES NOT COUNT, nor those dwarf red crepe myrtles or bottlebrush, they just don't get there. Yes there will be leaves to rake, or fronds, maybe even pine needles (wow, free mulch!) but you can pick your tree by choosing what you are willing to do to get the attributes you would like.

ASK HERE and I will help.

PLEASE PLEASE... have a tree. There was likely more than 1 on the little piece of ground you now call home, you know... back before the developer, "developed" it.
not even worth a response..... SMH
Old 02-23-2024, 07:42 AM

Oh, but ROBELLINI palms do count. We specifically purchased a large 12’ tall double trunk to plant in front of our front window. It completely shades the big window from the afternoon/evening setting sun. It has cut down the heat in that room dramatically.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Plant an East Palatka Holly tree. Native to Florida, does not make a mess, attracts pollinators when it blooms (but does not have a significant flower) and then has red berries that the birds love. Easy to get and easy to keep. It can also tolerate trimming. I do a lot of gardening around my house and this one is a winner. Relatively slow grower but can achieve a beautiful height and shape. Love trees and wish I could have more of them.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:25 AM
Default What Tree

Quote:
Forget ARC. When you build a home, a tree is required by the COUNTY and STATE building codes.( Maybe more than 1 depending on the size of the lot.) And for good reasons.

Yes, they might be low quality and ugly, and should be replaced with better looking and even a better species...... but too many people are choosing to delete having a tree at all, particularly in the new section's smaller front yards.

Think about how much future shade will be cast on all those hot shingles, concrete driveways, and black asphalt roads. Multiply times each home in The Villages.

If you opt for a palm Roebelenii DOES NOT COUNT, nor those dwarf red crepe myrtles or bottlebrush, they just don't get there. Yes there will be leaves to rake, or fronds, maybe even pine needles (wow, free mulch!) but you can pick your tree by choosing what you are willing to do to get the attributes you would like.

PLEASE PLEASE... have a tree. There was likely more than 1 on the little piece of ground you now call home, you know... back before the developer, "developed" it.
I didn't have a tree in my yard when I bought my house.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The state of Florida doesn't require property owners to plant trees on their properties. Sumter county tree planting law says only that the county "may require street trees when an adequate number of trees do not exist on a lot." https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau.../article_8.pdf article (8.d.6)

There are laws about existing trees and historic trees, but nothing saying new trees must be planted.

We had two trees on our property. One had a previous termite infestation and half of it was dead, the other one was rooting into the foundation of our garage and destroying our dwelling. We removed both of them, and I planted a lemon tree sapling in place of one of them. The sapling is now a healthy juvenile tree that had three lemons last year, and so far nothing this year. It's still under 6 feet tall though and resembles a bush more than it looks like a tree.
Thank you Orange Blossom Baby!
Old 02-23-2024, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Please add the link to the codes. Should be an interesting read.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:06 AM

On my first home here, a neighbor across the street planted 3 trees, as they grew all the neighbors around them got most of their leaves! That doesn’t sound fair.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Maintenance

Any tree you add will be maintenance. I don’t see a reason to add one. Besides, I don’t want to go through the ARC to do anything.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-23-2024, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
I would like to ask, even though it's not a new house. Thank you for your kind offer.

A couple of years ago, I had a large Washingtonia palm removed from my front yard. It was near the street and surrounded by the driveway (see illustration). I was wondering if there is a small ornamental tree that would be a suitable replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1347_arbor_tree.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	102998  
Old 02-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Default Much of the Villages land was open farmland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

The point about CO2 levels is that the oxygen reproducing plants and the human producing CO2 activity balance is out of balance. So planting trees is the best and maybe only option. . .
also known as biodiversity. Golf cart use versus automobiles may be helpful . .

The point about rising earth temperatures is that the green plants some with shade have been replaced with steel, cement and asphalt, which are heat sinks. They absorb and retain heat. So TV development is contributing towards global warming.

Lets always work towards helping create more O so that we can use O as we please. .
One thing that you have tried to mislead us with is that, in the last 12 years that I have been here, much of the land that the Villages has built on was open (for grazing) farmland. It may have once contained many trees, but that was long before the the Villages acquired and built upon it. I have seen them many times take the large Oaks and build around them , thus saving the trees. In the past I have seen them remove some large trees only to transplant them in a new area ( this blocks the roads for a few hours at a time). Anyway I do love the trees. We have a large bottle brush an olive tree and a well trimmed crepe myrtle that grows up to about 30 feet high each summer.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

I have always thought that "The Developer" was very good compared to other developers that I have seen over the years, in saving trees, wetlands, and conservation areas.

Golf course maintenance?
Old 02-23-2024, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpej View Post
One thing that you have tried to mislead us with is that, in the last 12 years that I have been here, much of the land that the Villages has built on was open (for grazing) farmland. It may have once contained many trees, but that was long before the the Villages acquired and built upon it. I have seen them many times take the large Oaks and build around them , thus saving the trees. In the past I have seen them remove some large trees only to transplant them in a new area ( this blocks the roads for a few hours at a time). Anyway I do love the trees. We have a large bottle brush an olive tree and a well trimmed crepe myrtle that grows up to about 30 feet high each summer.
The "Historic" section was founded on pastureland, when Schwartz and his partner Tarrson turned it into a trailer park in the 1970's. There weren't many trees in Orange Blossom Gardens at all, at the time.

Many residents planted citrus trees but they attracted rodents and having to pick up fallen rotting fruit from the ground all the time was too much work for people who only planted them because it was a novel idea. So they were torn out. Only some residents have fruit trees in their yards. I have one and I plan on keeping it small. I don't plan on growing it tall enough to be a shade tree. Ten feet high will probably be my limit, since that's as high as I want to have to climb the ladder to trim it.

Tags
tree, home, choosing, count, wow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.