To Tree or not to Tree

Old 02-23-2024, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
Many District Deed compliance require at least one TREE. You are correct.

South FL considers palms weeds now just sayin. Plant a tree, they produce oxygen. Right?

Would be interesting to know how many people in The Villages are saying no on trees because of the leaves yet still push a "climate change" and "carbon emissions" montra?

Not a disbeliever in the fact that the the earth's climate changes naturally. Plant a tree.

Any Village leaf haters that are climate "virtue signalers" would seem to be Village hypocrits.
Trees in villages have lot of carbon monoxide to grow that’s for sure.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The "Historic" section was founded on pastureland, when Schwartz and his partner Tarrson turned it into a trailer park in the 1970's. There weren't many trees in Orange Blossom Gardens at all, at the time.

Many residents planted citrus trees but they attracted rodents and having to pick up fallen rotting fruit from the ground all the time was too much work for people who only planted them because it was a novel idea. So they were torn out. Only some residents have fruit trees in their yards. I have one and I plan on keeping it small. I don't plan on growing it tall enough to be a shade tree. Ten feet high will probably be my limit, since that's as high as I want to have to climb the ladder to trim it.

That’s because somebody cut them down long ago. Takes 20 plus years for lot or acres to produce Mature volunteer trees if let alone.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:57 PM
Default Sounds fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Building codes, not zoning or code enforcement.
I already read all the codes a few times so feel free to do your own legwork so you can tell me how wrong I am.
I will however be here to help people that want help choosing a tree, as a free of charge/community kinda thing.

If you want to look up the codes that requires a tree or trees on new home lots prior to closing have at it.
Though if you'll notice... TV is putting a tree (or trees) at EVERY home, notice the terrible quality of most, and you can deduce they are NOT doing it, to help sales.

The requirement has been around a long time (decades) and was revised as to variety of trees allowed a few years back... no one was using very many actual native trees anyway... less important can of worms there, I'll leave it closed.
So, people have requested where to find these building codes. You continue to challenge the same people to look up the code if they like but DO NOT offer your source of information. If I had to guess, you own a landscaping company and are trying to drum up some tree planting business by way of spreading a fear of being out of compliance of what may or may not be an actual code.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Yep, there's some BS going on alright.
The trees WERE THERE, people TAKE THEM OUT and don't REPLACE THEM... hence the subject of this thread.
Now the pristine lawn thing... you CAN actually drive many a mile without finding one of those LOL.
Sorry, should have been more specific. Drive through "Hillcrest Villas" in Hadley sometime if you don't believe me. Not only has there never been a tree there since the Developer mowed them all down to build houses, there isn't a place where you could plant a tree if you wanted one. It's a beautiful Florida-vacation-looking established neighborhood, with lots of palms and other tropical vegetation. What you won't see are any 20-year-old oak trees in anyone's yard.

In fact, drive through any Southern, recently developed neighborhood. Much of the South side is a completely different environment than the wooded, hilly land on the North. Trees would look weird and probably wouldn't survive because there were none there to begin with. Like I said, there are neighborhoods where you can drive for miles without seeing an oak tree in anyone's yard.

The evidence says you are mistaken. Everyone has asked you to cite your source, and you have refused.

Are we done yet?
Old 02-23-2024, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Trees in villages have lot of carbon monoxide to grow that’s for sure.
Carbon Monoxide???

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-23-2024, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

The point about CO2 levels is that the oxygen reproducing plants and the human producing CO2 activity balance is out of balance. So planting trees is the best and maybe only option. . .
also known as biodiversity. Golf cart use versus automobiles may be helpful . .

The point about rising earth temperatures is that the green plants some with shade have been replaced with steel, cement and asphalt, which are heat sinks. They absorb and retain heat. So TV development is contributing towards global warming.

Lets always work towards helping create more O so that we can use O as we please. .
Gasoline golf carts are not designed to be efficient or have smog control devices. They use as much gas/mile as a full size automobile. Electric golf carts would help decrease pollution in The Villages. Trees do more than just provide shade, they create oxygen (O2) and they act as natural air conditioning units by having GREAT evaporation cooling effect. They also filter out dust and smoke. Any plant would have some positive effect, even a lawn, but a trees cooling effect would be much higher. And a lawn has the drawback of needing cutting often by large, loud internal combustion engines. Electric lawn mowers being the exception. Also, often a lawn needs to be fertilized (and often over fertilized), whereas a tree often needs little fertilizer.
.........Note that the shade under a tree is cooler than comparable shade from a building. A line of evergreen trees with their deep roots can provide protection to a home or community center in case of high winds or a Hurricane.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
On my first home here, a neighbor across the street planted 3 trees, as they grew all the neighbors around them got most of their leaves! That doesn’t sound fair.
Planting evergreens could have helped that situation. Sycamore leaves really blow a long distance.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific. Drive through "Hillcrest Villas" in Hadley sometime if you don't believe me. Not only has there never been a tree there since the Developer mowed them all down to build houses, there isn't a place where you could plant a tree if you wanted one. It's a beautiful Florida-vacation-looking established neighborhood, with lots of palms and other tropical vegetation. What you won't see are any 20-year-old oak trees in anyone's yard.

In fact, drive through any Southern, recently developed neighborhood. Much of the South side is a completely different environment than the wooded, hilly land on the North. Trees would look weird and probably wouldn't survive because there were none there to begin with. Like I said, there are neighborhoods where you can drive for miles without seeing an oak tree in anyone's yard.

The evidence says you are mistaken. Everyone has asked you to cite your source, and you have refused.

Are we done yet?
I don't think that EVERGREEN trees would look "weird" anywhere in The Villages. And they should survive.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 02-23-2024 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add an idea
Old 02-23-2024, 03:08 PM
Sage

"To tree or NOT to tree". I believe that is what the fox thought to itself as it heard the dogs bellowing after him.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Gasoline golf carts are not designed to be efficient or have smog control devices. They use as much gas/mile as a full size automobile. Electric golf carts would help decrease pollution in The Villages. Trees do more than just provide shade, they create oxygen (O2) and they act as natural air conditioning units by having GREAT evaporation cooling effect. They also filter out dust and smoke. Any plant would have some positive effect, even a lawn, but a trees cooling effect would be much higher. And a lawn has the drawback of needing cutting often by large, loud internal combustion engines. Electric lawn mowers being the exception. Also, often a lawn needs to be fertilized (and often over fertilized), whereas a tree often needs little fertilizer.
.........Note that the shade under a tree is cooler than comparable shade from a building. A line of evergreen trees with their deep roots can provide protection to a home or community center in case of high winds or a Hurricane.

On that bicycle again..

Karen complaining about Electric Car Engine left on 🤣🤣🤣🤣 #karen #shorts #uk #tesla #electric - YouTube

you’re just sitting here polluting the air.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Carbon Monoxide???

The Villages Florida
Ok I stand corrected “dioxide”. Meaning lot hot exhaust coming out of villagers mouths.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Nature trees produce their own fertilizer through season changes. Even here in Florida leaves are falling right now Florida autumn.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
My neighbor's tree fell on or house up north 3 weeks ago. It took down 16 feet of fence, punched a hole in our roof and obliterated our pergola...

We don't have any trees in our back yard, yet this was the 2nd one that fell into our yard in the past year... Both causing significant damage... No storms were involved...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
I don't think that EVERGREEN trees would look "weird" anywhere in The Villages. And they should survive.
They're all "evergreen" in Florida. But the conifers you're talking about aren't the trees we're talking about. In fact, I have an ornamental dwarf pine in the back yard of that rental I said didn't have any "trees". They don't count because you can cut them down at will -- they aren't on the list.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I would like to ask, even though it's not a new house. Thank you for your kind offer.

A couple of years ago, I had a large Washingtonia palm removed from my front yard. It was near the street and surrounded by the driveway (see illustration). I was wondering if there is a small ornamental tree that would be a suitable replacement.
I like the East Palatka holly, hard to tell the size of the island from here.
. Smaller option, loropetalum allowed to grow into a tree has a fantastic look as well.
As palms go, a Copernicia single , double or triple would be a great choice and out of the box.

Tags
tree, home, choosing, count, wow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.