Trimming Live Oak

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Trimming Live Oak

There's a Live Oak on the property behind me. It overhangs my yard and is getting very close to my roof.
Do I need any kind of permission to trim the branches that I keep bumping into when I mow my lawn?
Can I have a tree guy come in and cut back the part that is dumping crap all over my yard and killing my grass?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Sage

I think if you do a quick search on the Internet you will find you have every right to trim back branches UP TO THE property line.

Of course there are some odd rules (IMO) w.r.t. Oaks around here, so best to reach out to the owner of the tree. As a neighbor it is best to reach out anyway I suppose before hacking up the tree...

I wish you were my neighbor, I would have you take down the oak in my postage stamp front yard while I am away
Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 AM

When I had 1 of my trees pruned last year I asked them to cut the limb that was hanging over my neighbor's yard and they told me it wasn't my problem & didn't have to bother with that if I didn't want to. I said "please cut it, I don't want problems with my neighbors"
Why not just mention it to your neighbor first. If they say they don't want to do it let them know you will.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Jim. Listen to me. Do NOT do anything to any Oak around here unless you get a clearance from ARC, the FBI, the CIA, the AFofL, the civil liberties folks, the Republican and Democrat parties, the national Boy Scout board, the EPA, the sheriff, the governor, the president and a blessing from the Pope.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I think if you do a quick search on the Internet you will find you have every right to trim back branches UP TO THE property line.

Of course there are some odd rules (IMO) w.r.t. Oaks around here, so best to reach out to the owner of the tree. As a neighbor it is best to reach out anyway I suppose before hacking up the tree...

I wish you were my neighbor, I would have you take down the oak in my postage stamp front yard while I am away
I know that I'm allowed to cut anything that overhangs my property, but I thought I would ask because as you point out these trees are considered sacred around these parts. I don't think that they belong on private property. They are fine in parks etc, but no one should be allowed to have one in their yard front or back.
I actually hesitated in buying this house because of that tree, but it's in a yard diagonally across from my back yard and only about 10% of the canopy is over my property. But it still drops crap on my lawn and lanai and I was almost seriously injured while mowing my lawn. I was also told by a tree expert that I should be prepared to have squirrels under my roof if it's not trimmed back.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM

You can trim them. Just don't cut one down without approval
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Sage

The only limitation on trimming branches hanging over your own property is that you cannot trim so extensively that the tree might be killed. Of course that can be a judgement call. And it shouldn't typically be a problem if the trunk is on adjacent properties.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

It's very hard to kill anything around here!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Except for grass that you want to grow.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post

Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Gold member

Sometimes you luck out by disturbing the oak tree, and NO nuts will grow that year and drop everywhere on your lawn. Hard to rake out. My neighbor has 6 large oak trees in his back yard, and discovered he has asian roaches in his back yard. I mean thousands. They live on decayed leaves.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So true! This zoysia is something (a big pain) to grow. I could grow fescue and bermuda with the best of them in other states we've lived in. Other than it going dormant when it turns cool, why isn't Bermuda allow in lawns in TV? I know it has runners for roots but doesn't St. Augustine also?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
So true! This zoysia is something (a big pain) to grow. I could grow fescue and bermuda with the best of them in other states we've lived in. Other than it going dormant when it turns cool, why isn't Bermuda allow in lawns in TV? I know it has runners for roots but doesn't St. Augustine also?
You can choose any grass you like and replace your zosia, unless it is on the FL invasive species list. Centipede is far the superior turf for this area. The lowest need for mowing, fertilizer, water along with the highest resistance to our local pests and diseases by huge margins.
Zoysia is not a good grass for this climate, and you never saw zoysia lawns in TV or anywhere in this area until we had a very rainy summer around 10 years ago and the St Augustine sod farms stayed too wet to cut sod for several weeks and you have to sod the lot to close the house sale.... Then here came zoysia from N FL... the greatest grass in the world because...
It takes less water than St Augustine (false)
Is more resistant to our pests (false)
Is more resistant to fungus (VERY false)

People may say you have to ask/beg the arc for permission, but under the ARCs rules, you can replace a sick lawn, tree or shrub without ARC approval. Changing the species to a better suited turf is smart and your choice. Heck, there are HUNDREDS of back yards on the golf courses that have been invaded by Bermuda and are now primarily if not completely Bermuda. How can the ARC tell you you can't have it, when in many instances, you don't even have a choice?
Old 08-11-2015, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
You can choose any grass you like and replace your zosia, unless it is on the FL invasive species list. Centipede is far the superior turf for this area. The lowest need for mowing, fertilizer, water along with the highest resistance to our local pests and diseases by huge margins.
Zoysia is not a good grass for this climate, and you never saw zoysia lawns in TV or anywhere in this area until we had a very rainy summer around 10 years ago and the St Augustine sod farms stayed too wet to cut sod for several weeks and you have to sod the lot to close the house sale.... Then here came zoysia from N FL... the greatest grass in the world because...
It takes less water than St Augustine (false)
Is more resistant to our pests (false)
Is more resistant to fungus (VERY false)

People may say you have to ask/beg the arc for permission, but under the ARCs rules, you can replace a sick lawn, tree or shrub without ARC approval. Changing the species to a better suited turf is smart and your choice. Heck, there are HUNDREDS of back yards on the golf courses that have been invaded by Bermuda and are now primarily if not completely Bermuda. How can the ARC tell you you can't have it, when in many instances, you don't even have a choice?

Now HERE is my take about grass. Not that grass that Morgan and Morgan was trying to sell, but Zoysia.

We rented north of 466 while waiting for current house here to be built and there was Augustine grass underfoot and it is sticky, picky harsh to walk on barefoot with wider leaves.

We have Zoysia in our yard of the home built three years ago. I like Zoysia and it needs water and fertilizer and looks great..No biggum deal.

Do you hear us? We are arguing about what kind of grass. Dear heavens.

Good morning everyone. It's gonna be another hot one today in The Villages. But a wonderful day to live.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:54 AM

No arguing from me, and I actually LIKE a healthy zoysia lawn. What I am saying, is a healthy zoysia lawn is difficult to maintain in this area, and was never a chosen turf in this area for any other reason than lack of knowledge or economic convenience.
Closed Thread

Tags
yard, oak, live, tree, guy, lawn, mow, grass, part, dumping, crap, killing, bumping, cut, back, kind, overhangs, property, close, roof, permission, trim, branches, trimming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.