Trimming Very Tall Palms

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Default Trimming Very Tall Palms

Has anyone had the problem of the landscaper saying the palm tree has become too tall to trim? What does one do in that case? The tree looks terrible and there are messy seeds from the pods everywhere. Any advice??
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

look in the yellow pages for a professional tree trimmer who will have a bucket truck to use in reaching the top of the palm tree.

or perhaps call some business such as village palms on 466 and ask if they have someone reliable to refer for your need.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

It happens (especially with Queen Palms) and is just one more reason I dislike palm's.

Unfortunately you are going to have to find a trimmer willing (crazy enough) to use a VERY tall ladder or one that has some type of lift (scissor or bucket) to get up high enough to trim them. MAKE SURE they are FULLY insured.

Oh, and it just got significantly more expensive. :-(
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Or you could find a Samoan tree trimmer. They can climb coconut palms bare foot and trim them.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Serious question:
Cut it down and plant a small palm that won't get outta hand?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
Serious question:
Cut it down and plant a small palm that won't get outta hand?
serious answer:

Cut it down and plant something you like, that is zone applicable and will not be an ongoing maintenance nightmare.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Cut it down to the ground

As an added bonus, you will notice a drop in roach population also!
On the negative side, you will put tree trimmers out of business
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Fully Insured including liability and workers comp is so important. We the homeowner would be responsible for any injuries another words would be sued for compensation should a worker get hurt. So,what if he is a employee of someone else, we're on the hook. Its happening a lot in The Villages as people are looking for easy money via lawsuit.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
As an added bonus, you will notice a drop in roach population also!
On the negative side, you will put tree trimmers out of business
Yeah sure, cut down that nasty roach & rodent infested palm tree and plant something really unique & exotic.....maybe like a maple or a juniper. THAT will sure impress the neighbors.

After all, nothing says Florida like sunny warm weather, white sandy beaches, a relaxed lifestyle, and.....common trees like they grow up north.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 AM

I agree with everything LndLocked said. Queen Palms are inexpensive to buy but expensive to maintain. They are full of rodents, roaches and the likes and put out awful nuisance pods and spears once a year. We had four in our yard. Loss one to winter weather (yeah) and the three remaining ones cost us a fortune to maintain. The smart thing to do is to spend the money to have them removed by a professional tree service contractor. Don't just get anyone to do this. Once removed, they require grinding out of the stump rather than removal of the root as it will surely interfere with your sprinkler system.. Hopefully new home owners will read these posts and not make the mistake of having Queen Palms as a part of their landscape. We spent on an average of $45.00 every six weeks ($15.00) each to have them trimmed.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Yeah sure, cut down that nasty roach & rodent infested palm tree and plant something really unique & exotic.....maybe like a maple or a juniper. THAT will sure impress the neighbors.

After all, nothing says Florida like sunny warm weather, white sandy beaches, a relaxed lifestyle, and.....common trees like they grow up north.
Well said

-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbl8114 View Post
Queen Palms are inexpensive to buy but expensive to maintain. They are full of rodents, roaches and the likes and put out awful nuisance pods and spears once a year.
Ask the plant clinic if you should plant Queens here in TV?

I think Jack Nicholson said it best in the movie "The Departed" when he said
"It's a whole nation of rats"!

I've never seen any pests around the palms here yet.

The trick I think to avoid them is to maintain and remove the dead fronds.

Palm trees with slumping, dead fronds can attract pests. Rodents may nest and breed within thick layers of dead fronds in untrimmed palm trees.

Careful and periodic palm tree trimming will help prevent unwanted pests on your property.

Now if U do find rodents another option is to get a few big snakes they will keep them in check.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage

Citrus rats nest in the bud at the very top...that does not get trimmed. If there are palms, they will come.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage

We have 2 queens and trimmed them ourselves for the first 5 years.

Now our lawn guy does it with a ladder. He says when they get too tall for his ladder he will rent a cherry picker and do a bunch of "tall palm" houses at once.

A neighbor recently had a company with a cherry picker trim her trees.

So, there is an alternative...no doubt more costly and better done if you can combine the job with several neighbors.

Yeah, queens are a lot of work but they sure do look like Florida. Everybody was planting them when we landscaped in 2007. Now, you don't see them in new developments quite so much.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Well said

-------

Ask the plant clinic if you should plant Queens here in TV?

I think Jack Nicholson said it best in the movie "The Departed" when he said
"It's a whole nation of rats"!

I've never seen any pests around the palms here yet.

The trick I think to avoid them is to maintain and remove the dead fronds.

Palm trees with slumping, dead fronds can attract pests. Rodents may nest and breed within thick layers of dead fronds in untrimmed palm trees.

Careful and periodic palm tree trimming will help prevent unwanted pests on your property.

Now if U do find rodents another option is to get a few big snakes they will keep them in check.
The big problem sometimes, is that people have them planted to close to house. When branches are touching home, the rodents, roaches start walking in. Be sure not to have any growth touching house, or your only asking for trouble
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Sage

I wish someone would either confirm or deny this nasty roach rumor. I have several palms and have not seen a problem. I had no palms in NC and those palmetto bugs (roaches) were all over the place.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.