water usage

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 PM

I have a premium sized lot and my last bill was for 16,720 gals. of water. I was paying for a LOT more until I had my handyman take a look at the control box. I did not know that there are actually two systems on your irrigation control. I had inadvertently set mine (I truly am a technology nerd) so that when the twice weekly watering was completed it automatically started over within seconds and did it all again. You may want to check the control box as I believe this kind of mistake is easy to accomplish - - -I did it without trying! You are using too much water.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

I just called North Sumter water yesterday. Found out that we use about !.000 gallons/hour on our 4 zone lawn. Multiply that by 2 hours of irrigation each time. and roughly we would use 8,000 gallons in one month. Check your bill to see the cost, do a little math and you can come up with an approximate cost of each irrigation. Ours amounts to about $3.30+ for each irrigation. Pays to turn it off when it rains.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
I just called North Sumter water yesterday. Found out that we use about !.000 gallons/hour on our 4 zone lawn. Multiply that by 2 hours of irrigation each time. and roughly we would use 8,000 gallons in one month. Check your bill to see the cost, do a little math and you can come up with an approximate cost of each irrigation. Ours amounts to about $3.30+ for each irrigation. Pays to turn it off when it rains.
Sorry, if watering 2X's /week it would be 16,000 gallons.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
Don't you have a sensor on your irrigation system?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace
Thumbs up Excessive irrigation bill

I became a owner of a house in The Villages in June. I was using 14,000 + gallons a month at that time. I throddled the water down a bit and am now using 20,400 gallons a month. I called the Water Wizard out to get to the bottom of this. First, I had the control box turning the water on twice as much as I needed. These control boxes really suck as they are difficult to figure out. Then after a test, I had many heads that were leaking badly. The Water Wizard Company had three guys out changing my heads. They raised the rings and adjusted all the flows and directions. They reprogrammed the control box and everything works great, and also cleaned up the little messes they made. Total bill, $281.00. Whoa! Well worth the money. I'm looking forward to my next water bill.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanz6 View Post
watering the lawn, a small lawn...we are billed for 35,000 gal per month. Is this excessive? thx.
Open a previous thread I started called "Water Meter". I was using 30,000 gallons a month. The explaination is too long to explain. Read the previous post and your answer should be in there.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.