Weeding??

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2022, 08:11 AM
Default Weeding??

I'm looking for someone to do 2-3 hours of weeding? Anyone know of someone?

Thank you
Old 06-01-2022, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Good luck finding someone.

Buy a gallon of Roundup with a battery operated sprayer attachment. You can spray the weeds in about 15 minutes. Very easy.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Job openings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbasser View Post
I'm looking for someone to do 2-3 hours of weeding? Anyone know of someone?

Thank you
Many more job openings than applicants especially in The Villages.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:37 AM

Would not recommend Fernview in my opinion - killed our plants despite very specific signage not to spray around them. We even told them ahead of time that we would place a sign and was told "We love signs". When asked why he did not respect the sign, he cursed at us and stormed off. they were immediately fired
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I have seen people in our villa that plug weeds for a living. I don't know their names or contact info sorry. They do exist.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Good luck finding someone.

Buy a gallon of Roundup with a battery operated sprayer attachment. You can spray the weeds in about 15 minutes. Very easy.
Can't do that. Weeds are with plants I want to keep. It's amazing people don't want to earn good money.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbasser View Post
Can't do that. Weeds are with plants I want to keep. It's amazing people don't want to earn good money.
The Roundup sprayer comes with a plastic shield to target the spray directly on the weed. I think you can avoid damage to the plants. One problem with hiring someone to pull the weeds is that they can grow back in a few days.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 AM

Many plants do not fare well with Round up type weed killer applied around the roots. Most do fine, but some do not.

3 hours of 'pulling' the tops off weeds is a waste of time. The roots on most will re grow a stronger weed in a week. Spurge and some smaller weeds are dropping hundreds of seed by the time they look big enough to pull.

SO
Most weeds need to be dug up from underneath, and some have runners that need to be dug out as well. Weeds coming up in a plant? Dig up the entire root ball, put the plant in a wheelbarrow and strip the weeds (root and all) from the root of the plant you want to keep, and replant. Use plenty of Preen or other good pre-emergent herbacide on the same day to stop the weed seeds. Some of our most common weeds will not die from Round up applications, as it drips off and doesn't dry on the leaves (Nutsedge is one) .

In the end, monthly digging of the big stuff, and weekly pulling of the smaller stuff, while treating with Preen, will keep you looking good, and making headway towards fewer weeds.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:07 AM
Gold member

Two to three hours? Good God man, how many weeds do you have. I am not sure I would survive three hours in summer heat bending down to pick weeds. Neighbor recently lost her husband and I am barely able to mow her lawn (I don't mow mine even.) I offered to have our LS guys do hers, but she would not hear of me paying for her lawn. I am paying just in a different way. After 30 minutes (Time it takes me to mow her lawn) my shirt is dripping wet. If your flowers are not annuals maybe redesign the landscaping with weed barriers?
Closed Thread

Tags
weeding, 2-3, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.