Weeding the flower beds

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2023, 07:21 AM
Default Roundup

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I use Roundup and do it myself. They have a jug with a built-in battery powered sprayer for about $25. Very easy.
New (again) to lawn care after a few years of condo living, so learning lots. Have used both the "regular" Roundup in the "beds" with surprisingly limited success, and also the "safe" kind that you can use on the lawn, with seemingly a little better results. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Extracting weeds by hand can be a little bit "fun" - for a while, especially if you can get a good hold of them and feel that powerful, wonderful, ripping of the very essence of their roots and life from deep underground.

And then there's these little, round-leafed things that spread out in such a manner that a major dose of luck is required in order to grasp enough of it, close enough to its "central root top" that it doesn't break off at the surface. Getting pretty upset sitting here thinking about it.

These are the same little weed guys that seem to be almost impossible to kill with the chemicals. *And*, they've found a way to grow up *through* that black stuff that has lain under the "rock beds" for apparently too many years, now.

Guess I'd attend a seminar for learning solution options. A YouTube video might be better. Bet somebody knows the name for these particularly heinous little weeds around here.

New black stuff would seem to be an awful lot of trouble but, were it to come to that, I think I'd consider also replacing all those stupid, floating rocks with some version of "hardy" hibiscus plants.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:46 AM
Default Weeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
We are away and our beds need weeding.
We are having trouble finding anyone who is willing to come and just weed. Everyone we contact says they only do "full service", meaning they'll trim and weed but not just come over to weed.

Any suggestions?
Call Choice Maintenance 352-502-2880. They spray for weeds monthly and do a great job. We’ve used them for about 7 years!
Old 07-08-2023, 07:53 AM

My flowerbeds were overrun with weeds -- I hired Jones & Sons Landscaping LLC to clean
-up the flowerbeds - they hand pulled the weeds. What a difference in my yard....
The company is licensed and insured. The phone number is 352-208-3186 - you can call or text. He will get back to you.

Highly recommend - you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
New (again) to lawn care after a few years of condo living, so learning lots. Have used both the "regular" Roundup in the "beds" with surprisingly limited success, and also the "safe" kind that you can use on the lawn, with seemingly a little better results. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Extracting weeds by hand can be a little bit "fun" - for a while, especially if you can get a good hold of them and feel that powerful, wonderful, ripping of the very essence of their roots and life from deep underground.

And then there's these little, round-leafed things that spread out in such a manner that a major dose of luck is required in order to grasp enough of it, close enough to its "central root top" that it doesn't break off at the surface. Getting pretty upset sitting here thinking about it.

These are the same little weed guys that seem to be almost impossible to kill with the chemicals. *And*, they've found a way to grow up *through* that black stuff that has lain under the "rock beds" for apparently too many years, now.

Guess I'd attend a seminar for learning solution options. A YouTube video might be better. Bet somebody knows the name for these particularly heinous little weeds around here.

New black stuff would seem to be an awful lot of trouble but, were it to come to that, I think I'd consider also replacing all those stupid, floating rocks with some version of "hardy" hibiscus plants.
Dirt gathers on top of the black layer over time so you’d just have the same problem with new. There is a type of roundup that not only kills weeds but prevents new for 3 months wherever it is sprayed. Has worked great for us. There is also one that will keep weeds away for a year but that one you have to be more careful with cause it will eventually hit the roots of trees and shrubs if they are close by.

We also sprinkle Preen in our beds which prevents new seeds from sprouting. Won’t kill the current perennial weeds, but works great to prevent any new seed from starting.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:09 AM
Default Preen

I use Preen. I sprinkle it on 3-4 times a year. It doesn’t kill weeds, it prevents them. Randomly I do have to pull a weed here and there but it totally controls it. If you start doing this after you get these weeds addressed you can maintain it yourself. You need to be consistent as they will start popping up if you don’t maintain.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Use vinegar, can be purchased on lane, lowes. Sparr almost always has it. It would be 30 percent cut in half with water and a spoon of dish detergent. It does not endanger you or leave a chemical in the soil. I use a sprayer. Never use salt. It will remain in the soil and inhibit the growth of the surrounding plants.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:51 AM

Call Chris at 724-822-4981. I will look and see if I can do it. Do not mind doing small jobs. I start early mornings
Old 07-08-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeana View Post
Try ordering garden vinegar (30%) from Amazon or Home Depot. It is NOT for table use. A lot healthier than using pesticides which are bad for the environment, pollinators, and for the user..
Agree ... get the 45% vinegar, mix 1/1 with water and spray in the heat of the day 80-90 degrees. The weeds will be dead in an hour. Salt and Dawn dd as a surfactant may provide better results if needed

Fred
Old 07-08-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Dirt gathers on top of the black layer over time so you’d just have the same problem with new. There is a type of roundup that not only kills weeds but prevents new for 3 months wherever it is sprayed. Has worked great for us. There is also one that will keep weeds away for a year but that one you have to be more careful with cause it will eventually hit the roots of trees and shrubs if they are close by.

We also sprinkle Preen in our beds which prevents new seeds from sprouting. Won’t kill the current perennial weeds, but works great to prevent any new seed from starting.
Thank you! But, looks like there's actually a couple of Roundup versions of which I was unaware. The Best Weed Killers of 2023 - Review by Garden Gate Max Control and Extended Control. Hmmm. Sez "Extended Control" isn't good for "flower beds". Its jar isn't as attractive, either, so Max it shall be.

The Preen looks kinda fun, too, with the cute sprinkles.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:26 PM

I have a grandson who has done weeding for several neighbors. If interested, give me a call: 410-271-1939
Old 07-09-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
We are having trouble finding anyone who is willing to come and just weed. Everyone we contact says they only do "full service", meaning they'll trim and weed but not just come over to weed.

Any suggestions?
I can weed your flower beds, but need to see what's involved before quoting you a fair price... 937-529-6549. David
Old 07-09-2023, 05:17 AM

Call Chey

RWB landscaping
+1 (775) 440-5406

Chey and her husband own and operate the business.

Just contracted with them. The will just do weeding, if that is all you are looking for.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeana View Post
Try ordering garden vinegar (30%) from Amazon or Home Depot. It is NOT for table use. A lot healthier than using pesticides which are bad for the environment, pollinators, and for the user..
This works good! A neighbor advised me of this and it works better than the cheap RoundUp. There is a very expensive RoundUp but the vinegar works just as well. Don't spray around your favorite plants & flowers though.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Becky Coronado provides weeding service. She does several homes in our neighbor. Her phone number is 352-304-1429.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I mix vinegar, salt, water and dish detergent exact recipe online.
Wife recipe: 1 gallon white vinegar (Sams Club 2 bottle pack), 1cup Epsom Salt (again Sams Club), 1/4 cup liquid dish. Spray on weeds when rain is not expected. Having said that I still believe pulling them out by the roots
Closed Thread

Tags
weed, weeding, beds, trim, meaning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.