What is it?

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2023, 09:00 AM
Default What is it?

I have sandy spots and clumps of sand next to driveway and in and on top of sprinklers. I dug through it and found a few ants but don't know if it's something else. I sprayed it with home defense yesterday. Anyone know what it is?
Old 07-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac57 View Post
I have sandy spots and clumps of sand next to driveway and in and on top of sprinklers. I dug through it and found a few ants but don't know if it's something else. I sprayed it with home defense yesterday. Anyone know what it is?
As there were only a few ants, it could be a leak in your irrigation pipe. Bubbling water tends to bring sand to the surface.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Had same problem, was told it was voles. See them on village property a lot.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The clumps of sand etc., sound like ants. If you have a contract for bugs call them, if not Lowes stocks some really good stuff. Get something you sprinkle on top and they take it back to nest. Don't stir them up in case they are red ants, they bite.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have a really sandy/hilly area by one of my sprinklers. my irrigation person checking the sprinklers mentioned that area and said it was due to ants. I’ve since gotten the bait to sprinkle around and so far it seems to be working.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:21 AM

Could be a lot of things, some aren't even a problem. 352 303 8610, I will come by and tell you exactly what the issue is for free.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:10 PM

Mud Wasps also create a volcano of sand with a small hole in the middle. Be careful if it is wasps. Multiple wasp bites can flair up a hand twice the size. But normally ant colonies.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

We've seen armadillos in our yard during the middle of the day, which was unheard of back in Texas. They're usually nocturnal. These seemed to be juveniles, since there were three of them.

Armadillos make little mounds just like you describe, every time they dig up a worm, which is their main food source.

They also like to dig giant tunnels under a house foundation, for some unknown reason. So if you see the little mounds, keep an eye on your foundation.
Closed Thread

Tags
sprayed, home, defense, yesterday, ants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.