What yard care is required in the first month?

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Default What yard care is required in the first month?

We are closing in Collier on 8/19 and moving down late September. Is there anything outside on basic mowing that is required in the first 4-5 weeks? Also, is mowing weekly durning this time of year?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Sage

welcome to TV...!
must do: get donuts for the sprinkler heads and have the grass cut around them. otherwise the grass grows over the heads and they are extremely hard if not impossible to find.
assuming you will be here to close make sure your irrigation system is set up appropriately by contacting either home warranty ofc or your landscaper, who will do a walk around, adjust sprinkler heads and show you how the irrigation works.
my opinion is every 2 weeks will do for mowing.

I recommend Stellar for lawn service and a neighbor to check on the yard to report any issues to you.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

During the summer, you need to cut weekly (weather permitting), about 3 inches high; winter is biweekly. Donuts are definitely a good idea.

If you're going to be a snowbird, Stellar may not be the way to go. They're really good for us frogs, but seem to be hit or miss if you're not home. That, plus having to pay in advance for services always puts me off. Check with your neighbors and see who they have. It's always best if a cutter takes care of several homes on the same street.

Do not rely on neighbors to watch your home or yard -- if something goes wrong, your insurance company will go after them to pay for damages if it was more than a casual check by neighbors/friends/families or hold you entirely responsible for not being duly diligent in having your home checked weekly.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Sage

Most important...water your lawn daily for the first month.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

lawn needs to be feed oursin november when we closed looked like it was dead within 6 weeks had deans come in at two months took a month to come back
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
plus having to pay in advance for services always puts me off.
Yes that is a very strange way of doing business, can you name other services that DEMAND payment in advance?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I have to mow at least weekly. I fertilized this spring and it's gotten to where I need to mow about every 5 days now.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Yes that is a very strange way of doing business, can you name other services that DEMAND payment in advance?
Colleges.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

deans bills as services are done..even mow
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Colleges, cable, internet service, The Villages Amenities, I used to pay for my son's guitar lessons a month in advance. I don't think it's so unusual for services that are repeated on a regular basis.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
During the summer, you need to cut weekly (weather permitting), about 3 inches high; winter is biweekly. Donuts are definitely a good idea.

If you're going to be a snowbird, Stellar may not be the way to go. They're really good for us frogs, but seem to be hit or miss if you're not home. That, plus having to pay in advance for services always puts me off. Check with your neighbors and see who they have. It's always best if a cutter takes care of several homes on the same street.

Do not rely on neighbors to watch your home or yard -- if something goes wrong, your insurance company will go after them to pay for damages if it was more than a casual check by neighbors/friends/families or hold you entirely responsible for not being duly diligent in having your home checked weekly.
I do not believe Stellar requires advance payment. You can pay them monthly but will not receive the 2 month bonus unless you pay for a full year.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that Stellar DEMANDS payment in advance?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 PM

If your lawn is in good condition at the time of closing, weekly mowing is about all you need for at least 5 weeks.

Even though we have been having plenty of rain lately, the advice to make sure your irrigation system is working is sound. It probably has a feature that will not allow it to activate if there has been recent rain.

I second the motion to eventually install 'donuts' around your sprinkler heads. They are available at Home Depot and Lowes. It isn't anything that has to be done in the first 5 weeks.

If you are not going to be here full time (AKA: "frog") you will need a service to mow and chemically treat your lawn anyway. I cut my own grass but use Stellar for chemical treatment and found them to be OK, although I do have to call them for problems once in a while. They are responsive, courteous and fairly knowledgeable. My lawn is better than most in the neighborhood. Their number is 352-553-2597. They just might cut your lawn on a week-to-week basis until you move in - or know someone who will.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Where did you get the idea that Stellar DEMANDS payment in advance?
here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
Jimbo2012,

I would be happy to shed some light on this ongoing issue of customers paying in advance. Let's step back and look at this situation from the perspective of a business. So many companies make the mistake of billing monthly; they work hard all summer, sweat for all the residents, endure the heat of the summer for 6 to 8 months...
Marty Rouse/ Owner
Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Colleges, cable, internet service, The Villages Amenities, I used to pay for my son's guitar lessons a month in advance. I don't think it's so unusual for services that are repeated on a regular basis.
Snow plowing. (Thank Gawd that's over & done with.) We had to pay for our Coolaroos installation in advance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.