Zone 9A or 9B? = Center of ZONE 9!

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We have several tropical plants that cruised right through last year’s hard freeze without being covered. No worries here south of 44. Bring it on!
Tropicals? Or SUB tropicals? Some classified as SUB tropical make it through, but if a tropical lives through a freeze, it isn't a tropical.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:33 PM

Word of mouth, corrupts and distorts the truth. Old wive's tales, like "don't water in the sunlight or your plants will burn" stemmed from people using scalding hot water sitting in a garden hose. Queen palms dying from cold in this area is another example.
Having studied under multi-generational central FL nurserymen, studied horticulture in high school and college programs, as well as continued education over the 4 decades through expert publications (Books with bibliographies, not web sites) and just paying attention to what happens in this industry in this area, I often hear incorrect "word of mouth" become so common, people take it as fact.
Most of the time, fake landscape designers, or people with a chip on their shoulder about palm trees are the beginning of the lies that spread.
I post on here as a public service, when I see that those lies and half-truths are gaining a foothold with many unaware newcomers, who would prefer to know the truth. I really don't care if you publish a popular blog on the internet about horticulture, or even own a nursery... I will serve the public interest.
Yes, I own a business, but I don't plug it here. WIth the integrity of my designs, that last decades instead of a couple years or 5 ( like most of the rest of the landscapes out here) ... I don't need to plug my business, I have reputation.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
It seems like Ozello doesn't fully understand that USDA climate zones can vary widely depending on what vendor you buy your trees from. Many of the same varieties of trees like palms for example are labelled as 9a, 9b or 10a even though they're the exact same tree. It's just a marketing ploy for the vendor selling it as a 9a tree to sell more. There's zero Federal laws that would stop a vendor from labelling a citrus tree to grow in zone 5 even though it would have zero chance of surviving the winter in a zone 5 area in Minnesota for example.

Also the climate zones continuously change, plus the maps are just a rough approximation of each zone, and not to mention the effect of microclimates that actually make a significant difference in some cases.
What I understand, is there was widespread dying of foxtails, arecas and christmas palms last year... from a very AVERAGE winter, and people should know the truth.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I have been reading this thread with fascination. Seems like it’s turning into a Master Gardener vs. an experienced landscape gardener, and someone is getting their nose out of joint (I won’t say who). I am an experienced “digger in the garden” who relies on Master Gardeners knowledge to plant my garden so my flowers don’t die. I also check out plants in other yards to see what thrives. That’s all I know.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:45 AM

In my 40 years of horticultural experience and education, in this region... I have run into a LOT of conflicting information between the Master gardener ( often hearsay I admit) and the published works of horticulturists, with Master's degrees. Granted it may be a little over a lot of years, and most of the time, is the same mistaken opinions that pop up every 5 or 10 years as facts.
Most of the blame should go to the many uneducated so-called landscape "salespeople" chasing a fast buck and willing to state with confidence "facts" that help them make a sale, over any intentional mis step from the Master Gardeners.

I am sure there are many educated horticulturists Master Gardeners here in TV. And plethora's of good information being parlayed to other members and friends. Unfortunate ( but not thankless) is this task I have taken on of only addressing the misinformation that occasionally worms its way into the mainstream knowledge base.

Last edited by Ozzello; 11-16-2023 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Apparently the USDA just updated the plant hardiness zone map, the first in more than a decade.
USDA's plant hardiness zone map shows half the country has shifted : NPR
Old 11-17-2023, 01:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default High Plateau Coconut Palm

If you are iffy on some plants there are some excellent palm choices. The high plateau coconut palm is safe for the area. Sylvester’s and Bismarck palms are also safe. I have also seen oranges make it through last year’s heavy frost, but in those cases they may have been salvaged by micro climates.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 11-17-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
If you are iffy on some plants there are some excellent palm choices. The high plateau coconut palm is safe for the area. Sylvester’s and Bismarck palms are also safe. I have also seen oranges make it through last year’s heavy frost, but in those cases they may have been salvaged by micro climates.

I live far north of villages, it got down to 24 to 27 degrees 3 night in row. IMO my in area the was way beyond heavy frost. Guess depends on which end of the villages you live?
Old 11-18-2023, 06:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

While the zone categorization is a useful guideline, individual gardens may vary.

Are you next to a large body of water, which can moderate temperatures?
In a frost pocket?
Exposed to winds from the north (wind chill can bring the temperature down considerably)?
Do you wrap your plants when sub-freezing temperatures are forecast?

A good way to assess what will and won't survive is to look at what your long-term resident neighbors have been growing.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

My flower bed has both vinca and impatiens (they look very similar but have distinct differences). Impatiens are considered perennials at zone 10 and 11, but are annuals at zone 9 and colder and have to be replanted each year.

Except - I haven't ever planted them. The only plants I've planted have been the potted plants - oregano, basil, spike lavender, lemon thyme, rosemary, and a couple of flower bulbs that I forget what they're called. The lemon thyme was supposedly the hardiest of the bunch in our zone, and it died last winter and never recovered. The basil finally died last month. You can't kill oregano, so obviously it's doing just fine after I tried to intentionally kill it last potting season because it was suffering from root rot. I did successfully kill the rosemary bush because it had outgrown its ENORMOUS pot and had rooted into the flower bed through the hole at the bottom of the pot. That's where the oregano is now. The rosemary bush had grown to be over 4' high, it was a monster.

A squirrel gave me some "elephant ear" leaves and they look pretty snazzy in the garden.

What do I do to maintain all this? Not a damned thing. I planted the stuff in the pots, gave it a good soaking, and left it all to nature. Everything growing in the bed itself was either there when I moved in, or grew as a direct result of my neglect. I weed it when I'm inspired, harvest when I need herbs for cooking. That's pretty much it.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:21 PM

I saw MANY of the plants you named dead after last winter.
Some landscapers are either not correct in their knowledge or going ahead and planting what homeowners ask for despite knowing they will not survive (people can be demanding).
Just riding around in our golf cart I couldn’t even count how many dead ‘Christmas Palms’ I passed.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
While the zone categorization is a useful guideline, individual gardens may vary.

Are you next to a large body of water, which can moderate temperatures?
In a frost pocket?
Exposed to winds from the north (wind chill can bring the temperature down considerably)?
Do you wrap your plants when sub-freezing temperatures are forecast?

A good way to assess what will and won't survive is to look at what your long-term resident neighbors have been growing.
I like to use Ixora as a decorative plant. Ixora shrubs I have bought have tags stated that Cold hardiness is 40 to 30 F. They also state that they are non-hardy in zones 1-9. Plants I have survived of my house best on the east side. They get the early sun. These plants have survived for over 10 years. In cold years there is some winter kill, but it is easily cut out. Southern exposure plants do less well in cold years. The winter kill gets most of the exposed stock. There is life left in the roots and I have left a few continue but the growth is slow and spotty and not pretty. Due to the relatively low cost, I replace when needed.

My experience would agree with the tag statement that the plants are not hardy in Zone 9. Yes, some can survive well. Location makes a difference.

I would think that the survival rate in Zone 10 would be 100 %. But unusual freezes and frosts could take a toll .
Old 11-21-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Apparently the USDA just updated the plant hardiness zone map, the first in more than a decade.
USDA's plant hardiness zone map shows half the country has shifted : NPR
Not sure on the rest of the country, but this map for FL isn't different at all from what I said in this post. And if memory is correct, Florida is not different from the map prior to whatever changes supposedly happened.
Weather cycles are best described as 10 year, 25, 50 and 100 year cycles. Remember, the people wanting to sell plants to you, don't warrantee Acts of God... and that is weather.
Closed Thread

Tags
zone, palms, maps, trees, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.