Zone 9A or 9B? = Center of ZONE 9!

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2023, 07:02 AM
Default Zone 9A or 9B? = Center of ZONE 9!

I finally expanded into doing design/install work in the "newer" Villages this year,(south of 44) and am seeing a LOT of zone 10 trees. People are being told that because the NEW section is 9B, not 9A, that they can plant foxtail palms, Christmas palms, Areca palms and the like.
I assure you (as a native with 40 years experience in nursery work in this area) this is NOT THE CASE.

If you look on the internet at USDA maps, I see many new looking maps showing 9A as a very small pocket of North Lake county and further north. But CORRECTLY the older maps show the area, as running SOUTH OF TAMPA on the western half of the state, and being much, much larger.

Either way, you are still in the CENTER of zone 9, with AVERAGE LOWEST TEMP being around 26 degrees.
Yes, Last winter was AVERAGE, leaving many dead and half dead zone 10 palms in its wake.

If your potential Landscape designer tells you those zone 10 trees are fine, you might want to look for someone with more integrity or knowledge (The results for you are the same). There are a few of us with knowledge experience and integrity, though some days I think less than a few.

Even if you buy into being in zone 9B, the plants/trees that are showing zones 11 through-9B, THOSE TREES would be ONLY FOR..... zone 9B that is ALMOST ZONE 10. Way south of you.

Good luck folks, Oz

Last edited by Ozzello; 10-02-2023 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:10 AM

Important to note,
Your warranty on those trees, likely NOT INCLUDED:

- Acts of God and customer neglect.

What this means is:
No matter what happened to that tree, we don't have to replace it because if it wasn't YOUR FAULT, it was God that did it.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

Master gardener here. The USDA maps are not kept up to date on a yearly basis. Usually every 5-10 years at best. The climate is changing in some places faster than others like Florida primarily due to the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico warming slightly.

I would not get too hung up on zone 9a vs 9b and things like that. You can very often grow things 1-2 zones below their range as long as decent care is taken to the tree or shrub. Basically if you take care of what you're growing, they will be resilient enough to handle a cold spell.

When they say something is labelled for zone 10a, it doesn't mean that it will die if grown in 9a for example, it's really just an optimal suggestion.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:35 PM

That may be true for the other zones, but not for zone 9. When something is tagged zone 10 and warmer, it EXACTLY means, it will die from the cold in the next zone up. Yes a very few of those SUB Tropicals can make it through our milder winters, but over time, those average winters, and harder winters will arrive and take them out.

The changes in the northern zones (8 and lower) you can cheat to the north a zone or 2, but not here, where we ride that line between Temperate and Tropical.

To freeze or not to freeze... it isn't a question. When dealing with zone 10 plants, it is NOT to freeze, and zone 9 freezes. Unless by "care" you mean, HEAT the tree (no I didn't say cover) or build a greenhouse over it. (That was commonplace during the winter for people with tropicals in the yard just 2 decades ago) Your crotons, areca palms etc, are going to die if they freeze... that is why they are called TROPICAL.

I have a lot of respect for the Master Gardener's garden club folks, but let's not pretend that the moniker isn't more about participation in functions and donating a bit of time to the club. Compared to a college degree or actual masters in horticulture, it is just a club with not much of a scholastic requirement.

Last edited by Ozzello; 10-04-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
That may be true for the other zones, but not for zone 9. When something is tagged zone 10 and warmer, it EXACTLY means, it will die from the cold in the next zone up.
No that's completely incorrect, the specific definition of hardiness zones are as follows: "Hardiness zones are geographical areas divided up by climate that can be used to determine where different plants will grow best." Apparently, you're also unaware that Master Gardeners are involved in data collection that determines the actual hardiness zones for many areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I have a lot of respect for the Master Gardener's garden club folks, but let's not pretend that the moniker isn't more about participation in functions and donating a bit of time to the club. Compared to a college degree or actual masters in horticulture, it is just a club with not much of a scholastic requirement.
You clearly have little respect master gardeners or much of an understanding of their educational requirements.

It's not a gardening club where you can just sign up and join. You have to past a rigorous entrance exam among other things and only a limited number are permitted to join.

It involves usually 60 hours of education upfront including college level courses, and then continuous education every year. That's not including the fact many master gardener groups are extremely hard to be admitted into in the first place, many requiring a high level knowledge of botany. We also have volunteer requirements on delivering horticultural education to the public.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Sounds like a plug for a business disguised as a word of warning
Old 10-05-2023, 09:21 AM

I have always used plants rated for 1 zone north of where I have lived. NEVER had a problem.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

I have played around with planting zone 9B and zone 10 plants like Thai plants, Crepe jasmine trees, yellow shrimp plants, etc.. and you can get way with it in most winters. The day comes, however when the temperature dips into the low twenties and all these plants die to the ground. Some may come up again, but they are severely set back. Zone hardiness does not mean the plant will die every winter, but it will get hit at some point. Yes, you can have fun with warmer microclimates, next to the house, by the front door etc., but they still can get frozen there. I have gardened here (near 466A, zone 9A) for over ten years. Experience trumps book knowledge.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:42 AM

Mr Chip72, thanks for your well-phrased & concise explanation of MG requirements. I was debating how to respond to the multiple incorrect comments of Ozzello but you did it for me.

I’ve got 2 Master Gardener designations, one from Kansas & one from Virginia. Same kinds of programs in those states – significant educational requirements, testing & volunteer time before you are awarded the designation.

A common expression I heard in KS, VA & now FL is “Right plant, right location” meaning that you’ve got to plant your greenery in the right location. It’s absolutely true & the only thing that guides me in plant selection & plant location, besides researching the IFAS site online.

Trial & error is sometimes the best method of planting. I’ve got spider plants growing outside year-round in front of our north facing lanai. They are sheltered from the sun & cold/frost by the (developer planted) Viburnum Suspensum . I’ve got cactus that need partial sun successfully growing nearby.
Suggestion - google the plant name & ifas to research the plant – example: “Viburnum Suspensum ifas”. ifas = University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences which is the extension service we pay for with our taxes. They provide excellent descriptions, planting suggestions. And don't expect 100% success as there are sooo many variables. It's the journey, not the destination.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I can tell you that 2 or three freezing nights start the clock for Queen Palms' demise
Old 10-05-2023, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Mr Chip72, thanks for your well-phrased & concise explanation of MG requirements. I was debating how to respond to the multiple incorrect comments of Ozzello but you did it for me.
What incorrect comments did Ozzello make? He sounds more knowledgeable than the Master Gardeners who are posting on here. Saying the meaning of planting zones is based on where a particular plant will do well is not the whole story. Yes proper use of planting zone information will help your plants thrive but they will also help your plants SURVIVE. Foxtail palms and Christmas Palms will die here in zone 9. (Like Ozzello said) No doubt about it! In my neighborhood all the foxtail palms planted in two different yards died this past winter. They had made it for a number of years but not this one. As the county agent (and Master Gardener Coordinator) says the Villages is mostly in 9A and maybe a small part 9B. You probably should talk to her about planting zones. I don’t think it is a good idea to come on a forum and say you are a Master Gardener and disagree with a professional landscaper.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
What incorrect comments did Ozzello make? He sounds more knowledgeable than the Master Gardeners who are posting on here. Saying the meaning of planting zones is based on where a particular plant will do well is not the whole story. Yes proper use of planting zone information will help your plants thrive but they will also help your plants SURVIVE. Foxtail palms and Christmas Palms will die here in zone 9. (Like Ozzello said) No doubt about it! In my neighborhood all the foxtail palms planted in two different yards died this past winter. They had made it for a number of years but not this one. As the county agent (and Master Gardener Coordinator) says the Villages is mostly in 9A and maybe a small part 9B. You probably should talk to her about planting zones. I don’t think it is a good idea to come on a forum and say you are a Master Gardener and disagree with a professional landscaper.
It seems like Ozello doesn't fully understand that USDA climate zones can vary widely depending on what vendor you buy your trees from. Many of the same varieties of trees like palms for example are labelled as 9a, 9b or 10a even though they're the exact same tree. It's just a marketing ploy for the vendor selling it as a 9a tree to sell more. There's zero Federal laws that would stop a vendor from labelling a citrus tree to grow in zone 5 even though it would have zero chance of surviving the winter in a zone 5 area in Minnesota for example.

Also the climate zones continuously change, plus the maps are just a rough approximation of each zone, and not to mention the effect of microclimates that actually make a significant difference in some cases.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:58 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default All Tropical Plants Survived

We have several tropical plants that cruised right through last year’s hard freeze without being covered. No worries here south of 44. Bring it on!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 10-06-2023 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:51 PM

I have extensive knowledge of the program. The only thing I found "intensive" was the volunteer hours.

And you can dress it up any way you want, but there were plenty enough dead foxtails, christmas palms and arecas down there in the 'new' south end of TV from last years very average winter, to back up my statement, as well as the information given by the real experts in the field, like Betrock's et al.

I know MG club has told people over and over that mature queen palms are dying from the cold in this area... though that hasn't happened here since we lost around 3% to the 100 year freeze back in 1985. More likely it is the premature deflowering of the seed pods over time killing the queens.
You can gather all the data you want to dispute the facts, but they are still facts.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

This is how roundabout threads usually start.

Tags
zone, palms, maps, trees, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.