Zoysia/Bermuda

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Default Zoysia/Bermuda

We have, according to our lawn care provider, a problem with bermuda grass in our Zoysia (sp). House is less than one year old. Drove around other new areas and saw the same kind of crazy grass growing mixed in many zoysia lawns. anyone else being told this is a problem and how is this stuff getting in our lawns? thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Sage

Call waranty. They just did quite a bit of work on a neighbor's sod--11 months after closing.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Gold member

Is that the tall skinny grass that is in the sod and also grow well in the garden beds?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
We have, according to our lawn care provider, a problem with bermuda grass in our Zoysia (sp). House is less than one year old. Drove around other new areas and saw the same kind of crazy grass growing mixed in many zoysia lawns. anyone else being told this is a problem and how is this stuff getting in our lawns? thanks
I have a lawn that is 7 years old and I have Bermuda. It blows in from the golf courses and I have been told a lot of the land had wild Bermuda growing in the pastures before we resettled here.............so kill it, dig it up and resod with zoysia.
Once read that if there is something green growing in your lawn the easiest thing is to just mow it off.
Maybe a call to warranty would be worth the effort, however, even resodding is no guarantee you will not have the Bermuda sometime in the future.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Is that the tall skinny grass that is in the sod and also grow well in the garden beds?
Bermuda grows close to the ground, has tentacles a mile long, and is next to impossible to get rid of. Wish God had never created it!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Sage
Default Tall Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
If I understood Jim Davis correctly when he came to look at our yard, the tall, skinny grass is a nut grass. You can pull it easily from the beds but you can't do anything about it in turf except to mow it.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Gold member

Best to spray nut grass with a nut grass specific week killer. Nut grass has a nut (thus the name) deep in the ground that will continue to sprout unless you dig it out our kill it. Bermuda can be spread to your lawn by your gadeners lawn mowers. If they mow anothe lawn that has Bermuda seeds before yours, some of the seeds will cling to the underside of the lawn mowers and fall in your yard.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Gold member

Yes, almost everyone has Bermuda mixed with their Zoysa. Eventually, Bermuda takes over Zoysia. Nothing you can do about it. You can dig out, and resod, but your playing a losing game. Just deal with it, and mow
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM

I'd be interested in the situation where warranty did work on someone's sod 11 months after closing. We've had numerous sod issues and when we called warranty after only 2 months, they told us we only had a 30 day guarantee on the lawn and to call a lawn person.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default We are also having a difficult time with our grass

Hubby swears we got a bad batch of grass. Our lawn is also 10 months old now. We water 2x per week between 30 and 50 minutes depending on flower beds or sod. We have also fertilized (weed and feed) 3 times in the past 10 months. We cut our own lawn, so no risk of a lawn service bringing in unwanted weeds or fungus on mowers. It appears as if there is a lot of dead grass mixed with our sod. We have quite a large lot and there are no houses on either side to block out the sun. It gets direct sun all day, every day.
Any helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Yes, almost everyone has Bermuda mixed with their Zoysa. Eventually, Bermuda takes over Zoysia. Nothing you can do about it. You can dig out, and resod, but your playing a losing game. Just deal with it, and mow
I have it in our new yard. It is coming in from the empty lot next to us. It moves fast dosen't it? I thought Zoyzia took over anything?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Sage

I believe Zoysia takes over Bermuda in time. It has in my yard over a two year effort. I was about 1/3 rd bermuda when we bought, now only a trace left.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Don't use weed and feed, you are supposed to weed and feed at different times, You can get great information on taking care of zoysia at the Florida State University site. The dead grass usually means that you need to have your lawn thatched.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Hubby swears we got a bad batch of grass. Our lawn is also 10 months old now. We water 2x per week between 30 and 50 minutes depending on flower beds or sod. We have also fertilized (weed and feed) 3 times in the past 10 months. We cut our own lawn, so no risk of a lawn service bringing in unwanted weeds or fungus on mowers. It appears as if there is a lot of dead grass mixed with our sod. We have quite a large lot and there are no houses on either side to block out the sun. It gets direct sun all day, every day.
Any helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!!!!
Check for Mole Crickets or Fungus!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I believe Zoysia takes over Bermuda in time. It has in my yard over a two year effort. I was about 1/3 rd bermuda when we bought, now only a trace left.
According to Florida State University, Bermuda definetly takes over Zoysia. Stop by Annex on Mondays and talk to representives
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.