Zoysia grass

Old 05-20-2024, 08:11 AM
Question Zoysia grass

Zoysia grass - It's good in many respects - BUT - it's difficult (so far impossible for me) to stop it from encroaching into planting areas even with a nearly 6" rubber/plastic landscape border/edging/barrier. Any/all ideas are welcomed.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:57 AM

Steel blade edger, getting down a good 4" on a regular basis (every time you mow).

There is an invasive species (Torpedograss) that looks similar to zoysia that is VERY common as well. No easy fix (Not even a real good hard to do fix) for that, as it runs about 2' deep and is often growing in with zoysia (Pine Hills area has A LOT). Just have to keep pulling the top off.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Steel blade edger, getting down a good 4" on a regular basis (every time you mow).

There is an invasive species (Torpedograss) that looks similar to zoysia that is VERY common as well. No easy fix (Not even a real good hard to do fix) for that, as it runs about 2' deep and is often growing in with zoysia (Pine Hills area has A LOT). Just have to keep pulling the top off.
I have Torpedograss mixed in my St. Augustine and our company (Evergreen) said we would have to kill the St. Augustine to kill the Torpedograss.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
I have Torpedograss mixed in my St. Augustine and our company (Evergreen) said we would have to kill the St. Augustine to kill the Torpedograss.
We have torpedo, bermuda and st augustine in our yard!

don't know where the torpedo came from but the bermuda flew in from the softball field and golf course seeding nearby. .

If its all green, just mow it. . its about $3-4,000 for someone to kill the grass and resod the entire lot with st augustine. . . I bought some sod pods direct from the nursery and have been planting it to hopefully squeeze out the torpedo and bermuda. . we will see. . not hopeful but a $50 attempt at replanting where the watering didn't happen last August. .
Old 05-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,895 Times in 3,709 Posts

Got torpedograss????

Get Drive XLR8.

It works great.

It's made by BASF.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
Find out what kind of St Augustine you have. Read recently that lawns south of 44 have a Glyphosate (Round up) tolerant strain known as Scott’s ProVista. You can kill torpedo grass with Glyphosate. But read up on it, google / you tube to get details on the ProVista. Im in the Fenney area and have been spraying round up on the wild Bermuda in my St Augustine with no damage to the St Aug.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:28 AM
Default zoysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvaskeland@gmail.com View Post
Zoysia grass - It's good in many respects - BUT - it's difficult (so far impossible for me) to stop it from encroaching into planting areas even with a nearly 6" rubber/plastic landscape border/edging/barrier. Any/all ideas are welcomed.
round up,and spray a nice straight line every 2 weeks in the beds,be carefull and it will work fine.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:37 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the Drive XLR8 recommendation.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:20 PM

If it’s green enjoy it! Can’t control neighbors.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillagernie View Post
round up,and spray a nice straight line every 2 weeks in the beds,be carefull and it will work fine.
I use a piece of cardboard as a barrier to keep RoundUp from over spraying especially if its even a little bit windy.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Find out what kind of St Augustine you have. Read recently that lawns south of 44 have a Glyphosate (Round up) tolerant strain known as Scott’s ProVista. You can kill torpedo grass with Glyphosate. But read up on it, google / you tube to get details on the ProVista. Im in the Fenney area and have been spraying round up on the wild Bermuda in my St Augustine with no damage to the St Aug.
They (TVs) went back to Floratam quite a while back. ProVista was too troublesome. Very weak grower, low resistance to disease and pests.... but hey.. you CAN spray roundup on it!

Tags
zoysia, grass, ideas, any/all, border/edging/barrier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.