I need information on Bankcrupcy

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinghiway View Post
----1--u need a new lawyer....

2---don't opt for bankrcy

3- take control yourself, line up all the debt and start making phone calls...you can negotiate all of the debt to 50-75% of amount owed just by explaining the situation and that you will be paying off in lump sum !!

....then make you granddaughter pay you, whatever she can afford...be reasonable, peeps make mistakes in life,
Thank you for your kind words. My Dad used to say "There, but for the grace of God, go all of us".
Old 07-18-2023, 10:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I never thought I would be doing this, but my attorney wants $600 per hour and $200 for phone call, so I am hoping someone can answer my query.

I have a granddaughter who is old enough to know better; however, she messed up big time. She has allowed herself and a boy friend to run up $20K in credit card debt on her cards. He has taken off and she cannot pay it off. She is talking bankruptcy.

Does anyone know what bankruptcy does to your life. Can you ever get a credit card again. Does it go on your employment info. Does it dog you forever.

I would prefer to do this through a pm rather than putting her private information on a chat line. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.
Fairly objective article on bankruptcy.

Can I File for Bankruptcy With $35k in Credit Card Debt? - Experian
Old 07-18-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I read the OP and that is NOT what was stated. Here it is verbatim.

"She has allowed herself and a boy friend to run up $20K in credit card debt on her cards. He has taken off and she cannot pay it off."
Please stop posting facts.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinghiway View Post
----1--u need a new lawyer....

2---don't opt for bankrcy

3- take control yourself, line up all the debt and start making phone calls...you can negotiate all of the debt to 50-75% of amount owed just by explaining the situation and that you will be paying off in lump sum !!

....then make you granddaughter pay you, whatever she can afford...be reasonable, peeps make mistakes in life,
When I lend to family I assume I might not get paid back and if that happens I would forget about the debt. So far I have gotten paid back although it took longer than I though it would.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:52 PM

And how many people replied here that ever had to file? Probably only me. Bankruptcy is no big deal. If you determine you must then do it. Rebuilding credit is easy and you just do it step by step and don't fall back into bad habits that got you there. 7 or 10 years on your record is easily delt with and before you know it all is ok again.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Was she one of the people saying I need to make a living wage at my job as she is buying something else on credit with out thinking of the payments she was racking up? Or was she the one driving around in the car with a 600 a month payment? Did she not have any adults around her telling her credit cards are for poor people ? Maybe she is one that screws up and waits for mommy and daddy or grandma to bail them out and all she gets out of this is " wow that was close"
You obviously didn't read the thread because you were too excited to post a holier than thou, rude comment.
Are you one of those people who can't feel compassion because it makes you feel better about yourself to put others down? Or are you the one who just trolls a message board hoping to hurt someone's feelings? Maybe you are the one who is just a mean, cold hearted person that nobody wants to be around so you take out your frustrations on a message board.
See how that works?
Old 07-18-2023, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

You can tell your Granddaughter that you don't walk away from the $20,000 debt. The living expenses will be gone over with a fine toothcomb. Then the income of everyone in the house that your granddaughter is living in is added up. Now you go to see a mediator who proposes a monthly number that you must pay back each month for 36 or 60 months. If you miss a payment anytime during the 60 months there is no do-over, you then owe the entire 20 G'S.

Run towards the creditors who have you on the hook or rather the ones you owe a legitimate debt to and tell them your story and tell them you are trying to come up with a solution. Whatever you do don't hide and avoid those you owe, trust me you'll be sorry. Contact them by phone tomorrow.

I worked with many people over the years who were facing financial ruin, the phone calls each day from collection agents were terrible. The answer is own up to it and forget about BANKRUPTCY over $20,000. It's foolish to do it. Please don't do it. I helped many make the decisions that they were incapable of making. They felt shame. Forget about that, it's strictly business.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I never thought I would be doing this, but my attorney wants $600 per hour and $200 for phone call, so I am hoping someone can answer my query.

I have a granddaughter who is old enough to know better; however, she messed up big time. She has allowed herself and a boy friend to run up $20K in credit card debt on her cards. He has taken off and she cannot pay it off. She is talking bankruptcy.

Does anyone know what bankruptcy does to your life. Can you ever get a credit card again. Does it go on your employment info. Does it dog you forever.

I would prefer to do this through a pm rather than putting her private information on a chat line. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.
Credit.org is a reputable debt counseling service that can help restructure her debt. It’s better known as Consumer Credit Counseling CCCS. I am a retired NE banker.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken D. View Post
Credit.org is a reputable debt counseling service that can help restructure her debt. It’s better known as Consumer Credit Counseling CCCS. I am a retired NE banker.
Thank you, may I pm you for some more information which I do not want to put on an open chat line such as this?
Old 07-21-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you, may I pm you for some more information which I do not want to put on an open chat line such as this?
Sure
Old 07-21-2023, 09:44 AM

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send me some really good information. I have made my decision using much of your good ideas. We will work on getting the debt reduced and she will pay it off.
Closed Thread

Tags
information, bankruptcy, credit, card, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.