I need information on Bankcrupcy

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2023, 06:13 AM

You didn't mention what the young lady does for a living. IF her job (present or future) involves the need for a security clearance from the federal government, a bankruptcy could hinder her chances of employment and/or promotions.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:23 AM

Find the non profit community legal services in your area and get in to see them. NFCC.org is also an option for advice on bankruptcy or creating repayment plans with her creditors. Best of luck.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:31 AM

Find an attorney that specializes in bankruptcy. They often give free consults and then you can ask the questions to the attorney. Also find a flat rate bankruptcy attorney, meaning one fee depending on the type of bankruptcy and they do not charge by the hour.
I would not recommend a credit repair company.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:50 AM
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen
Default Bankruptcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I never thought I would be doing this, but my attorney wants $600 per hour and $200 for phone call, so I am hoping someone can answer my query.

I have a granddaughter who is old enough to know better; however, she messed up big time. She has allowed herself and a boy friend to run up $20K in credit card debt on her cards. He has taken off and she cannot pay it off. She is talking bankruptcy.

Does anyone know what bankruptcy does to your life. Can you ever get a credit card again. Does it go on your employment info. Does it dog you forever.

I would prefer to do this through a pm rather than putting her private information on a chat line. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.
I would probably just pay off her debt. Why wait until you die to help your loved ones. Bless them while you can see the gratitude in their eyes. Of course, I would have a serious talk with her about not doing it again.
That’s just me. 😎
Old 07-18-2023, 07:05 AM

Try Credit Counseling, Debt Management | InCharge Debt Solutions. Nonprofit and works with credit issuers and its clients. They will assess situation and if bankruptcy only option, it will advise. They can negotiate on your granddaughter’s behalf to lower interest and consolidate into one monthly payment based on income. Please stay away from the shady debt relief places. InCharge is much better solution than bankruptcy. Certified counselors who can also help answer questions on bankruptcy as last resort. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:11 AM
Default Trinity Debt Management

She could call Trinity Debt Management at 18007939049. It’s a Christian based nonprofit credit counseling agency. They work with creditors on the clients behalf and negotiate interest rate reductions and elimination of late fees. According to their website, … participants in the program can become debt free and just 3 to 5 years.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:19 AM

Get different credit cards to use going forward.
She has 3 choices.
Pay it off.
Stop paying the 20k. Wait a bit and contact CC co and offer a settlement in lieu of bankruptcy. Offer 5k for total payoff. Get IN WRITING a paid in full agreement, along with requirement to report favorable to her credit report. Then move on. Do not allow any access to bank acct. Send bank check (or CC might suck out all bank acct funds available). Credit score may still be hit hard.
Third choice is bankruptcy. Stop paying on all CC since it will go away anyhow and not need to be paid. Future CC access will be easier than now because she cannot discharge any debt for 7 years.

Reality is that none of these choices are very good. Hope this helps. Hard life lessons learned in the worse way.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:14 AM

Homepage - Community Legal Services central Florida legal aid

If she lives elsewhere, find legal aid in her area.

She should freeze her personal credit so no new credit will be issued by anyone.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:30 AM

Was she one of the people saying I need to make a living wage at my job as she is buying something else on credit with out thinking of the payments she was racking up? Or was she the one driving around in the car with a 600 a month payment? Did she not have any adults around her telling her credit cards are for poor people ? Maybe she is one that screws up and waits for mommy and daddy or grandma to bail them out and all she gets out of this is " wow that was close"
Old 07-18-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsmom View Post
She could call Trinity Debt Management at 18007939049. It’s a Christian based nonprofit credit counseling agency. They work with creditors on the clients behalf and negotiate interest rate reductions and elimination of late fees. According to their website, … participants in the program can become debt free and just 3 to 5 years.
RedsMom you are an angel and you have given me just the information I need. Her parents are devout Christians and they would entertain this before many other avenues.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Was she one of the people saying I need to make a living wage at my job as she is buying something else on credit with out thinking of the payments she was racking up? Or was she the one driving around in the car with a 600 a month payment? Did she not have any adults around her telling her credit cards are for poor people ? Maybe she is one that screws up and waits for mommy and daddy or grandma to bail them out and all she gets out of this is " wow that was close"
I should not even bother with you, but NO, NO and NO. She was very young, he is 16yrs older and very handsome and he stalked her and she thought he really loved her.

I am going to assume you are one of those men who automatically blame the female, and she is finding the system agrees with you. The men get away and the female pays.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I should not even bother with you, but NO, NO and NO. She was very young, he is 16yrs older and very handsome and he stalked her and she thought he really loved her.

I am going to assume you are one of those men who automatically blame the female, and she is finding the system agrees with you. The men get away and the female pays.
And vice versa... I have seen women bankrupt their husbands and boyfriends by overspending and in other ways.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-18-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Are you the one who didn't read the OP's post to learn that her boyfriend racked up all the debt and then skipped town and left her high and dry with the bill due?
Old 07-18-2023, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Are you the one who didn't read the OP's post to learn that her boyfriend racked up all the debt and then skipped town and left her high and dry with the bill due?
I read the OP and that is NOT what was stated. Here it is verbatim.

"She has allowed herself and a boy friend to run up $20K in credit card debt on her cards. He has taken off and she cannot pay it off."

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-18-2023, 09:50 AM

----1--u need a new lawyer....

2---don't opt for bankrcy

3- take control yourself, line up all the debt and start making phone calls...you can negotiate all of the debt to 50-75% of amount owed just by explaining the situation and that you will be paying off in lump sum !!

....then make you granddaughter pay you, whatever she can afford...be reasonable, peeps make mistakes in life,
Closed Thread

Tags
information, bankruptcy, credit, card, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.