Default 10 health benefits of drinking beer

No wonder I'm so healthy!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...-benefits-beer
Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Everyone is different so it may work for one person and not for another. I had an Uncle who drank exactly one beer every day with his evening meal and he lived to age 95. But he worked as a laborer in a building & lumber supply store. He was finely tuned like a body builder; he was all muscle. So he had no problem burning the extra calories.

Many others, with the best of intentions, develope a big beer belly and this is a sign of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. Personally, I believe if you can do it without developing a beer belly, you will be okay, healthwise. Otherwise, you might do well to stay away from it.

Last edited by Villages PL; 01-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Here We Go Again.

What they don't tell you is how many who start on "one beer a day" end up drunks. How many have the problem of stimulating the endorphins in the brain which, when released demand more alcohol which initiates the alcoholic disease. As an illustration..How many have had a piece of cake and even though on a diet "just had to have another piece". Welcome to the world of endorphins. They record the "pleasure" from the drink and demand more and that is the simple basis for becoming an alcoholic. Of course there are other chemical reactions but this is the basic one that everyone should know about. How many children or unsuspecting adults read some stupid article like this and say wow I can drink. Pull out the six pac and bingo they have a hard time stopping and want more and more. Not all will have this happen but enough to cause 80,000 deaths a year from alcohol abuse. I am a lucky one that can have a single drink and walk away but have no desire to put something in my body that truly does not have real benefits. There are so many other options which are better.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Yhanks villages PL and PennBF for the buzzkill...well back to a glass a milk a day
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
I may never die!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Gold member
Default Beer deserves more credit

Recently watched ducumentary streamed from Netflix titled "How Beer Saved The World". So in addition to the health benefits from "moderate" beer consumption,cited in this post, it was an eye opener in terms of how beer has helped progress and been responsible for the start of many things we take for granted.

http://http://movies.netflix.com/WiM...?trkid=2361637
Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What they don't tell you is how many who start on "one beer a day" end up drunks. How many have the problem of stimulating the endorphins in the brain which, when released demand more alcohol which initiates the alcoholic disease.
Excellent post.

When I was about 20 my next door neighbor got sirosis of the liver from drinking beer. He was a mail carrier who delivered mail door to door. I never saw him drunk....he was a controled drinker and he died at around age 58.

Last edited by Villages PL; 01-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks for sharing the benefits of drinking beer.
Your this post increase my knowledge about the beer.
I always thought that beer is harmful for the health.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I just want to know where all these experts were when the government was sstuffing Prohibition down americans throats? Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I was feeling good after OP and then read #2 . I got this far so will keep on going.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Default Medicinal Purposes

I think the politicians were inside the "speakeasies" sampling the various varieties of medicinal liquids in hopes of looking out for their constituents.
It was a matter of research.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Default Vision

There is one they missed, Vision. After about 6 beers the opposite sex looks better.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Reminds me of an old country western song by Mickey Gilley "The Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time!"
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What they don't tell you is how many who start on "one beer a day" end up drunks. How many have the problem of stimulating the endorphins in the brain which, when released demand more alcohol which initiates the alcoholic disease. As an illustration..How many have had a piece of cake and even though on a diet "just had to have another piece". Welcome to the world of endorphins. They record the "pleasure" from the drink and demand more and that is the simple basis for becoming an alcoholic. Of course there are other chemical reactions but this is the basic one that everyone should know about. How many children or unsuspecting adults read some stupid article like this and say wow I can drink. Pull out the six pac and bingo they have a hard time stopping and want more and more. Not all will have this happen but enough to cause 80,000 deaths a year from alcohol abuse. I am a lucky one that can have a single drink and walk away but have no desire to put something in my body that truly does not have real benefits. There are so many other options which are better.
Those of us who have lived with alcoholism are certainly well aware of the devastating affects that this disease has on not only the alcoholic, but also his or her loved ones. However, we also tend to be a bit paranoid about alcohol as well and make posts like this one.
The fact is that a very small percentage of those who have one or two beers or glasses of wine or even hard liquor drinks a day become alcoholics. Just look around you. How many people do you know that have an occasional drink or even drink moderately every day are alcoholics? How many alcoholics do you know? The answer often given to that question is that everyone knows at least one person who has been affected by alcoholism. That may be true, but how many people do you know and how many are alcoholics? Many, many people are able to control their alcohol consumption. A few unfortunates are alcoholics. That shouldn't mean that the rest of society should give up moderate, responsible drinking.
Alcoholism is, by the way, far more then simply an endorphin response. It is a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual disease. Every alcoholic is different and responds to different treatments differently. Some actually, after years of sobriety have been able to return drinking normally.
I don't think that anyone fully understand alcoholism and addiction. It has been studied for hundreds of years and a lot of progress has been made, but I don't know that "the answer" will ever be found.
But I don't think that everyone should be afraid to drink a few beers every once in a while or even have a glass of wine every night after dinner. Tens of millions of people around the world have been doing this for centuries and very few become alcoholics.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Platinum member

I posted an earlier beer study on TOTV and it evoked the same serious responses. We're adults and fully recognize the potential abuse of alcohol. Why can't we read something like this, chuckle, and take it all with a grain of salt. It's meant to be light-hearted and humorous. IMHO, there's no need to get a soap box and extol the evils of alcohol.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.