1939 to 1943: A Time When Americans Had Simpler Wants

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Sage
Default 1939 to 1943: A Time When Americans Had Simpler Wants

Just came across this wonderful gallery of photos. Please take the time to see what life was like.........1939 to 1943 for average folks in America following the Depression years. Pure Americana.......lest we forget. From what I've read, folks were much more self sufficient in the putting up of their own garden foods, using home remedies if needed and generally having simpler needs.

They certainly had simpler "wants" in the food department.........needless to say, their housing situation was not like that which we all see on HGTV where couples choose their dream homes out of three selections.

There are a few photos from Vermont as well as other states in the U.S.
Keep scrolling downward to see entire gallery.........awesome pictures.

We are all so spoiled. My mom did tell me, often, of how food was rationed during the Second World War........ditto for tires, nylons, etc.
She told me also how folks had lost their homes during the Depression, similar to what's happening now with foreclosures, etc.; how business men were jumping from their office buildings, out of despair.......

Again, take time to look at this entire gallery of photos.....1939 to 1943.

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs and captions are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color. This can be shared from the website. Click on hyperlink below..........

Photos: America in Color from 1939-1943 – - PlogPlog Photo Blog

Use your MOUSE and the DOWN ARROW on the right side of the page to keep scrolling downward...........the faces of humanity back then are mind opening; how hard they had to work just to survive.
One can see on PHOTOGRAPH 17 that this mom and dad didn't go through the drive up window for fast food. I'd bet the children in those days were NOT fussy eaters either.
Also, some great pics of Langley Field, Paris Island and Fort Knox, KY.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Gold member

Great post, great pictures. Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Great pictures and the depths of the great depression and the shortages of WWII certainly did make for "simpler" times, but I don't believe those times were better times in any way, and certainly not for any of the black folks in the pictures. My parents didn't speak much of their years growing up in the depression, but they never did get over the fear of being broke and hungry, even after being very successful after WWII. They were never comfortable spending money on a luxury, and my Mom wouldn't eat anything with raisins in it. I finally asked her why and she said it reminded her of her childhood when the food they ate sometimes had bugs in it. Those years affected "the greatest generation" in ways we can never understand, but typically of them, they just soldiered on, kept their mouths shut, and tried to build a better life for their kids.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.