441 urgent care fiasco

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Default 441 urgent care fiasco

Had to go to Urgent Care early evening Saturday at Spruce Creek across from Walmart, only one open. We were the only ones there for care. We thought it seemed chaotic with several people who came in to visit with staff. We were seen promptly and sent to a waiting exam room. The PA burst into the room yelling his greeting at the top of his voice. He was inappropriate and loud, often repeating himself, his English was hard to understand because of his demeanor. His exam was superficial and he treated us like children, laughing at us and even joked that my husband had gotten me pregnant! We determined later that either he was on a bi-polar manic episode or just high on something. Whatever, it was not a good experience. We have been there before and treated by a lovely woman in a professional manner and recommended the clinic. However, after this almost humiliating event, we choose to share this with folks who may be thinking of using this service in an emergency.

Last edited by Golf View; 07-02-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add at Spruce Creek across from Wal Mart
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf View View Post
Had to go to Urgent Care early evening Saturday at Spruce Creek across from Walmart, only one open. We were the only ones there for care. We thought it seemed chaotic with several people who came in to visit with staff. We were seen promptly and sent to a waiting exam room. The PA burst into the room yelling his greeting at the top of his voice. He was inappropriate and loud, often repeating himself, his English was hard to understand because of his demeanor. His exam was superficial and he treated us like children, laughing at us and even joked that my husband had gotten me pregnant! We determined later that either he was on a bi-polar manic episode or just high on something. Whatever, it was not a good experience. We have been there before and treated by a lovely woman in a professional manner and recommended the clinic. However, after this almost humiliating event, we choose to share this with folks who may be thinking of using this service in an emergency.
How about sharing with the director/manager of the care center??
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM

I don't think you get it Bogie, I want to warn others about what I experienced so they don't have the same experience. Asking to talk to the manager would do little to accomplish that.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

I think it would accomplish a lot to advise management. They might replace the unprofessional PA you mentioned so that it doesn't happen to others. As you mentioned the lady who saw you last was caring and helpful.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
I don't think you get it Bogie, I want to warn others about what I experienced so they don't have the same experience. Asking to talk to the manager would do little to accomplish that.
I think that Bogie is right! It's admirable that you went to the effort of sharing your experiences, but sharing with management might help motivate them or give them support in trying to do something to better the situation.

Sometimes all it takes is a little behavior modification counseling or disciplining, but without the support of feedback from patients who have experienced what you did, it might be difficult for management to protect future patients from similar experiences.

Believe me, I know all too well about what I'm saying as I have had to go through the difficult process a number of times with employees I used to supervise!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM

I always thought that the manager is appraising conditions as an ongoing practice. There was no manager in sight and the desk was being run by an underage person. I guess you had to be there. The lady that served me before is not on their list of medical staff any longer. I am definitely going to try to reach the MD that is listed. Everyone is welcome to make their own choice about where they go for urgent care, however I for one, wish I had been made aware of conditions so I could have made an informed choice.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Gold member

So the first visit was fine. No reason to report that to anyone. Second visit was bad. Tell all your friends to never go there, but not tell management to fix the problem. Doesn't sound like balanced reporting.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold member

Definitely tell the manager. How is he/she to know what went on ???
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

sorry - you reporting your problem on the totv forum INSTEAD of with the more appropriate management of the urgent care business - for me - detracts from the credibility of your reporting of the event. had it been me - management would have been informed before now!

i would prefer to know what management did about the situation instead of what you have done about it. sorry - maybe it's just me.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

When I was a manager, I knew what was going on in my department, I didn't need some one else to tell me.

A manager who doesn't know what's going on in his busuness isn't paying attention. Be my guest please try that urgent care, find out for yourself, don't say you weren't warned.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
When I was a manager, I knew what was going on in my department, I didn't need some one else to tell me.

A manager who doesn't know what's going on in his busuness isn't paying attention. Be my guest please try that urgent care, find out for yourself, don't say you weren't warned.
when i was a manager, i THOUGHT i knew everything that was going on! and i was ever so grateful when anyone came to me with something that i didn't know! was glad there was sometimes good news to share as well as the disappointing!

thanx for the warning - i hope i don't have reason to use the urgent care center for any reason.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:

There probably was no manager there. You most likely saw the entire staff on duty during your visit. Unless you escalate your complaint nobody in authority at that location will ever know.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Golf View: Sorry you had such a bad experience. When you have a health problem you expect better from a health care provider.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Here is a difference that should be considered. Urgent care is not a place where you may find out that your milk is spoiled when you get it home. It is a place where someone may go to not knowing they are having a heart attack and their life is threatened. Which one of you would trust a loved one to a doctor or PA that you have been given an example of their poor professional behavior? We have tried to contact the MD given as a director. No phone book or address of business. We will keep on trying. I always will give a restaurant, retail store, or other service a second chance but I guess I am just not ready to take a second chance on my health care.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Oh but I do. If you had talked to the management and got nowhere......then you could come on TOTV and share your total story-----then you may have received more support.
I don't know what department you ran in the past so I cannot compare it to running an urgent care center or even if it makes sense to compare.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.