60 Minutes last Night - Ambien dosage by gender

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Sage
Default 60 Minutes last Night - Ambien dosage by gender

I thought it very interesting they are finding the dosage for Ambien should be less for women, than men. Women seem to retain more of Ambien in their syetem when waking up, and tend to drive drowsy. They are claming that womem's hormones must be factored in when making drugs, because they seem to process drugs, different than men.

The FDA is aware of this problem with Ambien and shrugged it off, because they assumed that heart, lungs, kidneys, etc would process drugs all the same. Without factoring in hormones that are in women would test differently than men. Women should take half the dosage than men, for the same effect, (men 10mg, women 5 mg). A big part of research is testing rats, that are only male, and not include females.

This appears to open a can or worms in the FDA, by having going back and test all drugs, and how they sould be investigated for woman and men. Hopefully reasearch will be geared in this new direction, so drugs do what they intended to do, for both men and women.

Because of the enormous task invovled, I doubt we will see much progress for quite a while, but we can always hope they consider this task crucial, to all human beings.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Default Ambien

Women certainly do react differently to prescriptions than men. The reason it would be unlikely that a new study would be launched to study these differences is because it is already well known. All individuals react uniquely to prescriptions medications. That is the reason the prescribing MD generally starts at the lowest dose. People absorb, metabolize and eliminate medications at different rates depending on weight, liver, kidney function. There are too many other individual factors to list here.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I thought it very interesting they are finding the dosage for Ambien should be less for women, than men. Women seem to retain more of Ambien in their syetem when waking up, and tend to drive drowsy. They are claming that womem's hormones must be factored in when making drugs, because they seem to process drugs, different than men.

The FDA is aware of this problem with Ambien and shrugged it off, because they assumed that heart, lungs, kidneys, etc would process drugs all the same. Without factoring in hormones that are in women would test differently than men. Women should take half the dosage than men, for the same effect, (men 10mg, women 5 mg). A big part of research is testing rats, that are only male, and not include females.

This appears to open a can or worms in the FDA, by having going back and test all drugs, and how they sould be investigated for woman and men. Hopefully reasearch will be geared in this new direction, so drugs do what they intended to do, for both men and women.

Because of the enormous task invovled, I doubt we will see much progress for quite a while, but we can always hope they consider this task crucial, to all human beings.

You know another thing that is troubling to me, the new testosterone cream used by men under their arms and the warnings that it can trigger changes in others, children and women. Unwanted facial hair in women is one.

I want to know who is hugging me with that stuff. I have "misplaced eyebrows" all over my face.

Back to being serious, it is a problem to have children exposed to this hormone. It seems the topical application can be dangerous to kids, triggering premature puberty.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Nice to see you, Gracie.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Default Dangerous men!

That's funny Gracie! The only thing women used to have to worry about was rogaine for men causing low blood pressure. Now we have to avoid men with male pattern baldness and low T level, lol!!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Glad to hear from you, Gracie!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Ambien is the most dangerous drug on the market. While it is not causing heart attack, high blood pressure, male bald patterns, female bald patterns, nausea, diarrhea, constipation or death, well maybe death. It is the most addicting drug out there. People do things and then are clueless to have done them. I myself have ordered lots of stuff on the computer and HSN and not realized it till it was delivered.
Two years and now I cannot sleep with it nor without it. I am having the hardest time. Have tried every natural and over the counter med. Sleeping is a horror. Hoping to feel better and sleep better soon. FDA certainly let that one slip through.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonga View Post
Ambien is the most dangerous drug on the market. While it is not causing heart attack, high blood pressure, male bald patterns, female bald patterns, nausea, diarrhea, constipation or death, well maybe death. It is the most addicting drug out there. People do things and then are clueless to have done them. I myself have ordered lots of stuff on the computer and HSN and not realized it till it was delivered.
Two years and now I cannot sleep with it nor without it. I am having the hardest time. Have tried every natural and over the counter med. Sleeping is a horror. Hoping to feel better and sleep better soon. FDA certainly let that one slip through.
Thank you for sharing that information, very scary story. I've certainly read a lot of negative articles about Ambien. I'm surprised it's still being sold.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Default Precious sleep

Sharon, I'm so sorry you are having so much difficulty sleeping. I have a friend who struggled with that for years. She finally found a clinic that specializes in sleep disorder. They did wonders for her. I see that you are in New York. I'm sure they have some of the best sleep disorder clinics in the country. You might be amazed by what they can do for you.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Platinum member

the sleep medications were supposed to only be used for temporary relief of insomnia. There have always been warnings with Ambien but because it worked, people took it every night...that's when it becomes a problem.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.