Tricare Standard & Medicare - What Did You Do?

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 AM
Platinum member
Default Tricare Standard & Medicare - What Did You Do?

I'm retired military & my wife & I are enrolled in Tricare Standard but soon I'll be eligible for medicare. Can you provide any advice as to my next step/s?

Where did the time go
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Going through the same thing right now. PM me/us and I'll give you our phone number. Much easier to explain that way.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 AM

You will automatically be enrolled in Tricare for Life. At least that is how I remember it from a few years ago.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

My parents have Medicare plus TriCare for Life. I handle all of the bills - see a few charges (ambulance, drug co-pays, etc).

Had a bit of a hassle last year as they were "selected" for the forced mail-order trial. I called and explained that they were in a nursing home and had no choice in where they got their meds. Customer service rep was very nice and added a note that they were exempted due to status in a nursing home.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
I'm retired military & my wife & I are enrolled in Tricare Standard but soon I'll be eligible for medicare. Can you provide any advice as to my next step/s?

Where did the time go
Tricare For Life requires enrollment in Medicare Part A and B. The Medicare prescription plan isn't needed, Tricare (Express Scripts) will still cover prescriptions, with one "catch". If you are taking a prescription that isn't generic then you must enroll in mail order refill or pay full price out of pocket. If your prescription(s) are generics, then mail order refill isn't required. That covers the key points, there's good info on the Tricare website.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Where did the time go
We went to the Retiree Appreciation event Saturday in Orlando, and got some good information there.

At age 65 you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A. You must also enroll in Part B and pay the premium for Part B.
Then you take your new Medicare card to an ID Card office. At age 65 you must get a new ID card. At the same time show them your new Medicare card so that DEERS can be updated. Then on your 65th birthday you will be in Tricare for Life.

There are ID card offices at the Naval Air Station in Jacksonville, at MacDill in Tampa, and at the Naval Station in Orlando, next to the airport. Go before your birthday. You will need an appointment, which you can make on-line.

Once you are on Tricare For Life, between Medicare and Tricare all your expenses are covered. You will only have a few small drug co-pays, and not even that if you get generic at Express Scripts. Medicare pays for chiropractic, but TFL does not, so you would still pay 20% for that.

DO NOT enroll in any other supplement. DO NOT get a Medicare Part D Plan. Those will only mess up your situation.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 AM

LuvtheVillages - Thanks for the info, learned something new. Had not heard about the requirement for a new ID.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You did not mention your wife. All the same things apply to her once she reaches 65. The mistake a few have made is not keeping Tricare Standard for your wife once you turn 65 but you wife has not. There will be a Vets Benefit Fair at the Savannah Center on Saturday, April 25th, 10 AM to 1 PM. Attend and talk to the VA, Medicare and Tricare folks then for first hand info.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Where did the time go
TRICARE FOR LIFE--with Medicare There is no better program for retired military who are medicare eligible.

Covers drugs with some small co pays/ no co pays for office visits/ I know of no DRs in the Villages who don't accept TFL- If you want to talk more , PM me
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely take it to heart. And yes my wife is younger than I so I'll make sure she remains enrolled until she reaches the magic number.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.