Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[...
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I of course can't speak for rubicon, but if you posed the question to me...

I'd know I was a small minority therefore accept the consequences of my choice. I'd know that the arguments whether pro or con are not definitive regardless of how fervent either side is. And I'd be fine with "live and let live" as a result, not trying to force my views on others.
Your post seems to be good reasoning except for the part where you say "....the arguments whether pro or con are not definitive...."

The arguments are not definitive to those who simply dismiss the results of the long-term large-scale studies.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
There you go again with the name calling.

I don't have the exact dates but books were recommended like "Brain Drain" and "Wheat Belly".
Would I find them in the book store "fiction" area?

Then what are you defending?
I'm defending:
-my right to make my own choices
-my right to tell those who think they what's best for me, that they don't
-my right to tell someone that I don't care what they eat or drink, so why care about what I do.

What's the agenda? Which facts do you think are severely flawed?
What's the agenda? You should be honest and say what your agenda is. Or am I supposed to believe that you are truly concerned and worry about the health of the billions of people who eat meat and have taken up the cause to save them? Please....Spare me
Flawed facts....yes. Tell me then, of the 7,000 amimals, what would the "animals eaten" ratio be? What's the actual body count by animal? Are squirles included?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Surely vegans have chosen to be in the 2.5% minority?
Yes, it is a choice.

Quote:
If people cannot eat meat for medical reasons then I have sympathy for them, but if they CHOOSE not to eat meat then they really should be happy to live with their decision.
Well, this part may be difficult to explain to the satisfaction of others. I did choose veganism for "medical" reasons, in a manor of speaking. That is to say my goal is to prevent future medical issues, like cancer.

Quote:
It just seems rather perverse to choose a lifestyle and then moan just because not everyone decides to go the same way?
There's no "moaning" and I never said that everyone should go the same way. I'm generally pleased and happy with my choice. I enjoy good health and that's what makes me happy.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Your post seems to be good reasoning except for the part where you say "....the arguments whether pro or con are not definitive...."

The arguments are not definitive to those who simply dismiss the results of the long-term large-scale studies.
Sorry, VPL, but both "sides" can make the same claim.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage
Default 7,000 animals?

Quote:
...I enjoy good health and that's what makes me happy.
I have a feeling there a few carnivores out there that can say the same thing.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Then why don't you simply go after the restaurants rather than attacking people for what they eat because it doesn't suit 2.5% of the population. And barefoot's statement was not a frivolous accusation. You have stated eating fish before.
Going after the restaurants? If I did that, it would be said that they only serve what the average person wants. Therefore, the only game in town is to encourage people to choose healthier foods and reject junk food. In other words, I believe you have to change what people want. And it is working to a certain extent.

About the fish: I answered that question. BTW, I misspoke: I make 12 servings out of one 15 ounce can and it comes to about 1.2 ounces of fish per serving. But it's not the smartest decision I ever made and I plan to stop. The frivolous accusation I was referring to was about Arby's. I didn't say I was going to eat any animal protein at Arby's. I said I was interested in giving it (Arby's) a try but then I later changed my mind. It was made to sound like it was a done deal. Always looking for the "gotcha".
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry, VPL, but both "sides" can make the same claim.
They certainly have shown that they can make claims, but when you ask them to back up their claims, that's another story. They end up wiggling out of it because they haven't bothered to read any of the big long term studies.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Children, Children, Children.................can stop he said, she said, you said, I said??

Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have a feeling there a few carnivores out there that can say the same thing.
Yes, but only a few. There are places in the world (including the U.S.) where it's not uncommon to age with a lot less degenerative-disease issues.
It's more than just a few who remain healthy in those populations.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
There's no "moaning" and I never said that everyone should go the same way. I'm generally pleased and happy with my choice. I enjoy good health and that's what makes me happy.
I fully support your decision to go vegan, and I do understand the health benefits that may result from this, but earlier you said:

"Dogs eat whatever they are given. You buy the dog food, put it in their dish, and they'll eat it. How would you like to be treated that way in a restaurant if the tables were turned."

That does not sound very happy to me - dreading every trip to a restaurant because you feel that you will be treated like a dog.

Restaurants are commercial operations and will serve what they can sell. If you decide to join the 2.5% you should accept that your menu choices will be very limited. Even if you manage to persuade as many people again to become vegan that would still only be 5%. Nineteen out of twenty menu items will still be off limits to you.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I fully support your decision to go vegan, and I do understand the health benefits that may result from this, but earlier you said:

"Dogs eat whatever they are given. You buy the dog food, put it in their dish, and they'll eat it. How would you like to be treated that way in a restaurant if the tables were turned."

That does not sound very happy to me - dreading every trip to a restaurant because you feel that you will be treated like a dog.
My statement was an intellectual construct and not a reflection of dread or unhappiness. Just expressing a desire for something better.

Quote:
Restaurants are commercial operations and will serve what they can sell. If you decide to join the 2.5% you should accept that your menu choices will be very limited. Even if you manage to persuade as many people again to become vegan that would still only be 5%. Nineteen out of twenty menu items will still be off limits to you.
That's okay, I still enjoy the conversation about health and longevity. They say that in order to live a long healthy life, one must have a goal. And that's my goal.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Sage

Boy Howdy! I concur Gracie.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
"Which was you favorite candy bar when you were a kid?"
We already have a pipeline for this, PL - it's called The Villages Daily Sun :-)
Old 03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
My statement was an intellectual construct and not a reflection of dread or unhappiness. Just expressing a desire for something better.
I wish you success, PL.

Like an earlier poster, I have been hoping for more spicy food in TV's restaurants but that has been slow to happen so, to date, I have eaten spicy food at home and "made do" with the over-salted stuff that restaurants here usually serve.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.