About 63% of Villagers are on 3 to 4 meds per day

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
That link was 12 years old, here's one a bit more recent.

Not sure why you included kidney stones?

Hospitals don't do much for them and they occur in younger adults as well.

Cardiac is number one.
People who have kidney stones are admitted because of the heavy pain medication that must be administered and observed. Kidney stones can be chronic and can be caused by diet.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage

Also they can occur as a side affect to certain meds.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Can better diet make people healthy? Maybe....maybe not. Again I will state that some bodies will not tolerate some foods, foods that might need to be ingested to help a body get needed And necessary nutrients.
When I recommend a certain diet, I'm targeting those who can tolerate all or most foods. Just like the government's food pyramid (It may be called food-steps now). Not that I approve of all of the governments recommendations. But the point is this: They make recommendations whether or not it will suit everyone.

If we were to live in a world where no one could make recommendations unless they suited everyone, where would we be? The field of nutrition would be set back to what date in history?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Also they can occur as a side affect to certain meds.
Or sometimes, calcium supplements.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
To me, your view of a treatment plan is too narrow. When a patient enters a clinic for help with an existing problem, they want that problem to go away. An effective treatment plan, for that patient, has to address both the underlying cause of the symptoms and the symptoms themselves. While there may be a long term benefit from alterations in lifestyle, including diet, if those recommendations do not provide near term relief of the symptoms, the patient will decide that the provider has not helped them. And they will decide to not follow the long term treatment plan, no matter how much the provider extolls the benefits.
I never suggested it should be all about lifestyle. I'm simply trying to point out that right now it's mostly one sided in favor of medications and operations. I had hoped this issue would be addressed by the health alliance but it wasn't addressed in any significant way. It seems the health alliance was set up by medical doctors for medical doctors.

This is not the way to make The Villages "Americas healthiest hometown". At least it won't do it in any significant way. The way it is now, it just amounts to tinkering around the edges.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Default not always

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
You must remember that some people on meds arrived here on those meds and some medications should not stopped without review of the prescribing physician. Some drugs contraindicate certain foods being ingested.
Can better diet make people healthy? Maybe....maybe not. Again I will state that some bodies will not tolerate some foods, foods that might need to be ingested to help a body get needed And necessary nutrients.

Learning to eat foods that are nutritious is something we all might benefit from, but no matter what you say or I say, we all live in a manner we've learned, adjusted to. Some recognize they need to do something to make life better for them....for some it's weight loss, for some, it's exercise, for others, it's diet. In order to do anything, people need to WANT to do something. If they decide to forgo what some consider the road to good health, well, they must deal with the consequences of their decision. Health care is there to help people in need, be they suffering from obesity, COPD, heart or vascular disease, a broken leg or bacterial infection. Physicians take an oath to provide care to all who come to them. They aren't necessarily trained in advanced nutrition. They can make recommendations, but it is up to the patient to either take the advice or not.
I would never contradict another, BUT, everyone needs to remember that the health care industry is now the health care tax industry, or what they always were a business. I lived in MA until recently, my experience with the doctors was not only horrifying but humiliating. MA has the mandated health care, which is in my opinion a mess. You need to know what they are doing, why they are doing it and how much profit they are making.

You have to let go of the concept that the PCPs are there to help you, they aren't. They are mandated what to order for tests, prescriptions and care. I contracted Aspergillosis while caring for an elderly man whose family had abandoned him. It is an infection from an allergic reaction to mold or in my case penicillium or penicillin. When you hear about people who burn their houses down because of mold, pay attention that is the only way to get rid of it. I am healing because I am now in the care of an alternative physician whose specialty is this rare condition. If you are taking multiple meds, read what they are for, do not take anything anyone tells you for granted. Just my 2 cents worth.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.