Age You Felt Old

Age You Felt Old

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Age to me has always been just a number. I’ll be 66 next month and still feel great. I walk about 8 miles a day on the 3 days a week I walk and when my wife and I play golf, I walk the courses.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
My body may think I'm old but my mind says I'm still young. It's a struggle.
Me too!
Attitude has a profound effect on how one feels about their age, health and outlook.

Every day I see many who are 10-20 years younger than me and they look and behave much older. (I am early 80's).

In addition to attitude is activity. Keep moving. I still walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles every morning. I average 10,000 to 12,000 steps per day. I concentrate on talking normal, standing straight strides and not shuffling along. There is a propensity for too many to not stray from home as they age/get older.....avoid it if at all possible.

Then there is outlook. A poor or negative outlook will greatly affect how old one feels or thinks they are.

We, my wife and I still plan, schedule and do things and go places the same way we did when we were younger.

There are that work the being older status for one benefit or another.

When I need the cooperation of the kids or grandchildren or friends I smilingly remind them we are part of the here today gone tomorrow generation.

Eat and stay healthy! It delays getting older even though the birthdays continue.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Age to me has always been just a number. I’ll be 66 next month and still feel great. I walk about 8 miles a day on the 3 days a week I walk and when my wife and I play golf, I walk the courses.

Life is Good!!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Gold member

I was thinking of this subject last month when I turned 69. I've never felt old until recently. My back hurts constantly, getting out of bed requires both hands to push me up and out, and my driving distance (golf) is down to 175 at best. But despite getting old, life is still good and I'd just as soon keep doing it for another 20 years or more.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

When my father turned 90 I asked him how old he felt. Without stopping to think about it or even take a breath he said"18 but stuck in this old body!".

As for me I started to notice needing more time to work the stiffness out of my back and joints and get going in the morning in my early seventies. I would say that was when I started to feel my age.

Probably in my 50s I started scanning the obituaries in my hometown newspaper now and then to find out which of the parents of my school chums were passing away. Now they are of my classmates passing although a handful of them have mothers in their late 90s or 100+ still alive.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Mentally I don't feel old at all unless maybe a few millennials on Reddit bring up how much they hate boomers and how we've somehow ruined their lives and the economy, had everything handed to us, etc. Then I have to acknowledge to myself that indeed, I was born in '51 and am a happy boomer. I chuckle to myself and never engage with them. ;-)

As far as physical decrepitude, I definitely noticed a change after menopause at 52 with regard to joint pain and mobility. I have chronic genetic degenerative diseases that are doing what they do, plus I developed another autoimmune condition.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:16 AM

When my coworkers started to be born after I started with the company...
Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Sage

Still working, taking trauma call, at the gym 4 hours a day.

I find when I come here every 4 months for 5 weeks I start to feel old. There is no priority, no urgency to accomplish anything quickly, if I don’t get to something today I put it on the list. I attend at least 2 classes a day, belong to 4 clubs, and golf at least 4 times a week. Looking into an off site gym, that is 24/7’ so on nights I do not sleep I can go there.

But no worries once I am back to that high energy life, I absolutely do not feel old. I still need the quick thinking decisions to keep me on at my best.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage

I never figured out whether I’m lucky or not. Have lived with chronic pain since I was 18 (RA in hip and spine), so the old age aches and pains are routine for me. I felt really old when I turned 25 — couldn’t get past the fact it was a quarter of a century. Starting telling folks I was 26 and that was just fine. Now, really don’t feel that much older. Have the same limitations (almost) as I did at 40. So, mentally in my 30s, physically in my 50s. Reality is 67. Not too bad.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 AM

I remember the first time I felt old was when I saw my minister's wife had braces on her teeth. Then my doctors and dentists started looking like 12. Now I'm 74 and don't care about that stuff anymore!

Tags
age, ready, physical, work, happy