Alcoholic Beverages

Old 01-17-2024, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
In my case my body has told me to cut down on drinking. Specifically my liver.
I understand the body talking to you but specifically what did the liver say to you ?
Old 01-17-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think I provided sufficient information for posters to express an opinion. To me, it is an interesting question.
The missing information would be why are you asking? Did your doctor tell you to cut back or quit? If so, why? Did your spouse/partner ask you to quit? If so, why?

If this is something that just came to you in the shower or on the treadmill, my answer would be that it probably doesn't matter at this point after 60 years, so do what you want, but disclaimer: Consult a medical professional and don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet, etc.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

If you're pushing 80 and otherwise in good health, then why upset the applecart?
Old 01-17-2024, 06:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Alcoholics Anonymous - 10 Questions Are You An Alcoholic?
Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
Is drinking affecting your reputation?
Have you felt remorse after drinking?
Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
Do you want a drink the next morning?
Do you drink alone?
Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of your drinking?
If you have answered YES to three or more of these questions, you have a definite problem with alcohol.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-17-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
60 Years? Wow, that is some accomplishment. I would say you have great genes and are very lucky to have survived and with "no serious health issues". Also, if you have been drinking for 60 years, you obviously really enjoy it, so I would say pour yourself another. Cheers!
Old 01-17-2024, 06:39 PM

Quit for 30 days, see how you feel.

Follow DEWilsons advice…..
Old 01-17-2024, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Alcoholics Anonymous - 10 Questions Are You An Alcoholic?
Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
Is drinking affecting your reputation?
Have you felt remorse after drinking?
Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
Do you want a drink the next morning?
Do you drink alone?
Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of your drinking?
If you have answered YES to three or more of these questions, you have a definite problem with alcohol.
I passed your test. I knew a guy who drank beer, starting in the morning and he drank beer all day long. He must have drunk at least 50 beers per day. He died at 49 of liver cancer. I really felt sorry for the guy because he had no control over it. I also feel sorry for people who are addicted to smoking.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

On this topic re drinking. Last night we had a discussion with friends re drinking in TV and they said bars are open until 2 or 3 am. I raised my eyebrows but didn’t want to say You must be wrong! Are they???
Old 01-17-2024, 07:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
I passed your test. I knew a guy who drank beer, starting in the morning and he drank beer all day long. He must have drunk at least 50 beers per day. He died at 49 of liver cancer. I really felt sorry for the guy because he had no control over it. I also feel sorry for people who are addicted to smoking.
Well, it is not "my" test but the questions are good ones. It seems some people are predisposed to addictions whether it be alcohol, a substance, food, exercise, or other activity. Probably the last thing I would ever want to have to give up is my morning coffee.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-17-2024, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Well, it is not "my" test but the questions are good ones. It seems some people are predisposed to addictions whether it be alcohol, a substance, food, exercise, or other activity. Probably the last thing I would ever want to have to give up is my morning coffee.
At my age, I have learned moderation in ALL things is important. Listening to experts and following their advice is crucial. If you have been told to stop drinking by medical professionals, then do it. If you are healthy, drink alcohol in moderation. There is no sense in risking your health by consuming alcohol daily. There are other things that can bring you enjoyment. The key is to find a balance and knowing when to say, enough is enough. If you are drinking to be part of the crowd, ask yourself. Will they still like me if I do not drink? If the answer is no, you need to find a better group of friends. If you become ill, most likely they will lose your number and won't even send a get well card. You have ONE BODY, take care of it!

Last edited by margaretmattson; 01-17-2024 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Since you haven’t gone without 3-4 drinks per day for so long you really don’t know how your body and mind will feel without alcohol. I would suggest you abstain for a month and see what it’s like. If you feel like you have more energy, sleep better, and think clearer without it than that’s your message. If you feel no difference, then why not continue with your routine? It’s really the only way to get the answer you’re looking for in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
Better hope it’s not moonshine?
Depends on how much proof in the drink and how tall the glasses are?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-18-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
At my age, I have learned moderation in ALL things is important. Listening to experts and following their advice is crucial. If you have been told to stop drinking by medical professionals, then do it. If you are healthy, drink alcohol in moderation. There is no sense in risking your health by consuming alcohol daily. There are other things that can bring you enjoyment. The key is to find a balance and knowing when to say, enough is enough. If you are drinking to be part of the crowd, ask yourself. Will they still like me if I do not drink? If the answer is no, you need to find a better group of friends. If you become ill, most likely they will lose your number and won't even send a get well card. You have ONE BODY, take care of it!
Any medical professional will probably tell you to stop drinking alcohol, cola’s, and watch sugar intake I would I imagine?
Old 01-18-2024, 01:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
60 Years? Wow, that is some accomplishment. I would say you have great genes and are very lucky to have survived and with "no serious health issues". Also, if you have been drinking for 60 years, you obviously really enjoy it, so I would say pour yourself another. Cheers!
I’d say 3 is enough…
Old 01-18-2024, 04:22 AM
Veteran member

Yes. Maybe not totally quit, but a simple Google search will show multiple medical sources advising consuming less alcohol than this. It affects your sleep /sleep quality, your very vital liver, and lots of other things. Not worth the risks..

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Tags
alcoholic, beverages, day, opinions, quit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.