Alcoholic Beverages

Old 01-18-2024, 04:50 AM

Some interesting science. https://youtu.be/DkS1pkKpILY?si=PyRUIklGt3ibtJo7
Old 01-18-2024, 04:58 AM

Quitting alcohol completely would probably do no harm and may increase your life span. Continuing to consume alcohol at that rate is likely to be somewhat harmful and may shorten your life. If any of that matters to you then the wise choice is to quit alcohol. If that does not matter to you then continue.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

I grew up in a neighborhood, where putting an 8 hour shift in a bar was normal, it was a place to hang out.
The only question that should determine if you should stop or not is if you enjoy it or you need it.
If you enjoy it especially after 60 years, I don't see any reason to stop.
On the other hand, if you need it there is a problem, that is an addiction.
I lost three friends, two to alcohol and one to drugs.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:35 AM

Quick question…..what color is your golf cart so I can get the hell out of your way !
Old 01-18-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
“Dry January “

It sounds like you have great genetics! If you’re drinking daily, and haven’t had a serious illness yet, that’s remarkable. Of course people “drink” differently. A white wine spritzer with ice is different than a Martini!

So, many people try to cut back or eliminate alcohol using a current trend I’ve read about called Dry January.

BTW I’ve picked up on another trend recently, with 0 alcohol liquor. I tried the 0 proof wines that have been around for awhile and they were awful. However, I tried a couple of new 0 proof liquors with better results. Tried the “tequila alternative” recently, mixed it with lime juice, triple sec and it tasted good. These are premium products and go for $27 to $34 each. You can also cut back on alcohol by using these along with a reduced amount of alcohol.

Anyway, Cheers to a happy 2024!
Old 01-18-2024, 05:38 AM
Default “Dry January” etc.

Quote:
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
It sounds like you have great genetics! If you’re drinking daily, and haven’t had a serious illness yet, that’s remarkable. Of course people “drink” differently. A white wine spritzer with ice is different than a Martini!

So, many people try to cut back or eliminate alcohol using a current trend I’ve read about called Dry January.

BTW I’ve picked up on another trend recently, with 0 alcohol liquor. I tried the 0 proof wines that have been around for awhile and they were awful. However, I tried a couple of new 0 proof liquors with better results. Tried the “tequila alternative” recently, mixed it with lime juice, triple sec and it tasted good. These are premium products and go for $27 to $34 each. You can also cut back on alcohol by using these along with a reduced amount of alcohol.

Anyway, Cheers to a happy 2024!
Old 01-18-2024, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

It will increase your chance of cancer. Especially if you eat a standard American diet.

7 Sobering Facts About Alcohol’s Link to Cancer | Phelps Health

Three Things to Know

Alcohol has been linked to breast, colorectal, esophagus, liver, mouth, throat and larynx cancers.
Alcohol can damage the DNA in your cells and prevent the body from repairing the cells, which can lead to cells growing out of control.
The best way to reduce your risk of cancer is not to drink alcohol at all.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
“Dry January” is an actual thing, why not try it with a new set of 30 days and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
What has prompted you to ask this question- after 60 years. Did you ever ask this question prior to asking it here? If so, why did you ask it then? So, did you ask this here simply because you are curious- or did someone tell you that you drink too much so you are hoping to get a lot of, "You're OK" answers here?

Heavy Alcohol Use (as defined by National Institutes of Health):

NIAAA defines heavy drinking as follows:
For men, consuming five or more drinks on any day or 15 or more per week
For women, consuming four or more on any day or 8 or more drinks per week
SAMHSA defines heavy alcohol use as binge drinking on 5 or more days in the past month.

Drinking Levels Defined | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

At the 4 drinks per day you claim to limit yourself to, you drink about 2x the amount considered problem drinking. In 60 years you have consumed approx. 600,000 drinks. If your daily consumption is actually closer 5 or 6 drinks that number jumps up to 900,000. You didn't say what you drink, but if each drink averages $2 you have spent $1.2 Million - $1.8 Million on your habit.

Why have I made taken the time to do all this math? I think there was a reason you came here to ask. And I think that somewhere in my long comment you may find an answer.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Yes as no one should be drinking 3-4 alcoholic beverages per day.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:20 AM

Under similar circumstances, I asked myself the same question two years ago. I decided to quit drinking alcohol. It was not easy (and I still miss that afternoon beer). On the plus side I lost 30 pounds, feel better and am more active.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
if you share this history with your healthcare professional they will document in your history, alcohol dependence and alcohol intake above reasonable daily limit. Which doesn’t mean much unless you choose to change health insurance. This diagnosis/documented problem will increase your rate and drive up the cost of new insurance.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:47 AM

If it makes you feel good and you don’t hurt anyone, drink to your hearts content.Remember, you are responsible for your happiness today! Bottoms Up!
Old 01-18-2024, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

The difference between a drunk and an alcoholic is that drunks don't have to go to all those meetings!
Old 01-18-2024, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Don’t know…….but my A1C crept over the mark into Diabetes territory. I slowed my consumption to a crawl, went from hard liquors to Ultra and it came down. Just saying….

Tags
alcoholic, beverages, day, opinions, quit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.