Alcoholic Beverages

Old 01-18-2024, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

I found that I now drink infrequently since I retired. Maybe it is due to less business trips and dinner meetings or a more stress-free life.

Also, I have found that some of the newer no alcohol beers have improved. I have a hard time telling the difference between Guiness "0" and the original.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:55 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Off the sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
If drinking enhances your life, keep it up. If alcohol causes difficulty in your life, why consume any of it? IMO.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:59 AM
Default Alcohol drinks per day

Quote:
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit?
Opinions please.
Look at it this way. Alcohol by its very nature is a highly addictive drug which changes the way a person thinks, feels acts. It’s a drug - like any other drug. Many times our perceptions and thoughts about alcohol can affect what we choose to drink, how much and how often. It’s not a soft drink! I worked in the field of chemical addiction for eight years and saw how this “safe drug” changes peoples lives. Many of the people I worked with could not stop. I also worked in a hospital where people were undergoing alcohol detoxification. Yea, it’s a safe drug.

Would you choose to consume pain numbing prescription medications everyday? It starts with our attitude about alcohol. Do you really believe it’s a drug and do we treat it like one? For most people no. Look, many people can drink responsibly, there are those in our society who are allergic to alcohol. When consumed, one is not enough.

There are three stages a person goes through as part of the addiction process. Many times, people can’t or do not want to see where they sit in that process.

The question I always asked a person is: Is your drinking helping or hurting? If it’s hurting, do you really want to continue down that path? For many, The answer is: It’s not a problem! Then why are you on your third DUI? Domestic, health problems, - fill it in yourself. Yea, alcohol, the safe drug. Don’t kid yourself. It’s a highly addictive drug which needs to be respected. So, tonight instead of several drinks, look into your medicine cabinet and choose which 3-4 pain killers you want take. Do we really see alcohol as a drug? Do we treat it like one. Most people don’t.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the amount of alcoholic drinks you consume in a week is 2 times what is classified as heavy or hazardous drinking.

Instead of an opinion, 3 questions:

1. What is your motivation for asking this question on this forum?
2. If everybody here told you to quit drinking, would you?
3. Could you stop drinking?
Old 01-18-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You never really said if it brings you enjoyment? If it does, and it’s not affecting your health, relationships, etc. why change. Agree that stopping for 30 days to see how you feel might be a good test. I enjoy a drink but can tell I sleep better when I dont drink later in the evening. Agree with previous post that it’s largely a matter of genetics how your body manages. Good luck on your quest.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I passed your test. I knew a guy who drank beer, starting in the morning and he drank beer all day long. He must have drunk at least 50 beers per day. He died at 49 of liver cancer. I really felt sorry for the guy because he had no control over it. I also feel sorry for people who are addicted to smoking.
For a more objective opinion you could have your spouse or other significant person fill out the questionnaire and compare the answers.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:29 AM

Besides it being a drug as someone pointed out, alcohol is also a poison to your body which requires a number of steps to deal with.

A glass of wine or a beer with a meal is one thing, but if you’re doing it to “relax” then you have an addiction. Then it’s a risk / benefit analysis.

It’s best to ask your friends or family who know you best vs this board.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,075 Times in 538 Posts

My question is, if you are married, how does your wife feel about your drinking? Do you have fights about it..... does it make her angry? If the answer is yes, you probably have a drinking problem. I had two husbands, who were alcoholics. the first died in a car wreck, the second of organ failure. (We were divorced by then) So, if your drinking is causing problems at home, I say quit.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
With respect, why would you ask a chat line group this question? If you are the drinker and your doctor told you to quit then there may be a reason to stop. Nobody here can possibly answer your question without a lot more information which you probably do not want to put out there.
Why do call TOTV a chat line?
Old 01-18-2024, 09:02 AM
Default Alcohol

Quote:
Is there someone out there who smokes 4 packs of cigarettes out there a day and lives til 90? Sure, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

If you are older, on statins and waking up tired you might want to consider cutting back. It's what you are willing to risk for your health and cognitive function. Will your health improve if you quit? Most likely yes. It's recommended older people drink no more than two drinks a day or less. But you could be the rare Winston Churchill. Best way to answer your question is why don't you try it for a week and see how you feel? Not too late for dry January.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Since you asked for an opinion, three to four alcoholic beverages a day seems like a lot to a ‘one and done’ social drinker. However, at this point in your life it’s a habit and some would say an addiction, which would be difficult to change unless you choose to do so. However, if someone has asked you to quit for a particular reason (there are many) and you really care about that person, it’s worth consideration.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Maybe you should test and see if you have any liver damage.

From Mayo:
As the liver becomes more severely damaged, more obvious and serious symptoms can develop, such as: yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice) swelling in the legs, ankles and feet caused by a build-up of fluid (oedema) swelling in your abdomen caused by a build-up of fluid known as ascites.

How do you get tested for liver damage?
Aspartate transaminase (AST).
What is the best indicator of liver damage?
Aspartate transaminase (AST).
An increase in AST levels may mean liver damage, liver disease or muscle damage. This test is sometimes referred to as SGOT.

You can trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Exactly what I was thinking, internal damage that hasn’t yet presented itself. And not just the liver.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
My question is, if you are married, how does your wife feel about your drinking? Do you have fights about it..... does it make her angry? If the answer is yes, you probably have a drinking problem. I had two husbands, who were alcoholics. the first died in a car wreck, the second of organ failure. (We were divorced by then) So, if your drinking is causing problems at home, I say quit.
Women who grew up in families with addiction issues sometimes, and maybe often don’t recognize the problem even when they are unhappy in the relationship. Saw this over and over again in my line of work.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What led you to posting this topic? Caught my eye now curious also. I’m in the 50yr category.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage

IF you have to ask....maybe that's your answer. Mixing alcohol with the medications many of retirees are on don't mix well.

Tags
alcoholic, beverages, day, opinions, quit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.