Am I being unreasonable?

Am I being unreasonable?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
The first PA program was in the mid 60s. Physicians started hiring for their practice late 90s early 2000, when insurance companies allowed visit and surgeries to be billed.
No matter what state you live in PAs have always be highly regarded. Most were hired in hospitals. Physicians had to pay them out of their practice if they were used privately, thus it was a luxury.
Now it a necessity, not a luxury, to have a PA or a FA in office and surgery, they have become more prominent in the community.
Like a first responder PAs or FAs can get medical issue expedited to the best medical care needed.
Yeah PAs are immediately under doctors on the medical care food chain, with Nurse Practitioners being a close second. Usually I'll see "whoever is available" at a group practice where I'm a patient. Of all the non-office-staff there, there's only been one PA who I didn't like at all. The rest gave excellent care, understood my medical needs, and encouraged me to be pro-active in my health.

I've seen over a dozen PAs throughout the years and only one of them left me with a negative impression of her. I can say the same for the doctors I've had throughout the years. Just one that I didn't like.

The OP had an unfavorable experienced, talked it out with the omnibudsmen (I'm assuming that's what they were, or how they were functioning), and got it resolved.

Glad for the update OP and hopefully you'll get the care you and your wife should get, going forward!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

OP, I understand your wife was in excruciating pain (your words) and when our love ones are in pain we want “action” immediately. It appears that VHS has certain protocols which you did not follow. Who knows, given the same circumstances, we might have done the same as you and attempted to seek help elsewhere. It appears the two month timeline was just enough to send you over the edge so to speak. Sometimes, with good intentions, we make a quick decision at the wrong time. Unreasonable, maybe, but also understandable. Very happy that everything worked out in the long run. Full disclosure - neither my wife or I are currently in the VHS health system.

Last edited by justjim; 08-22-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
My opinion
Old 08-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
My wife fell and broke both ankles while in South Carolina on 8/17. We went to a local Urgent Care where they took xrays and splinted her. They advised to see an ortho as soon as possible. They gave us the written report as well as a disc containing the xrays.
8/19 we call our provider, and are told we could see a PA late in the afternoon. (At this point, she is in excruciating pain, meds not helping.) I told them that we had xrays in hand, along with physicians's report, and we needed to see ortho. They refused, said the PA needed to see her to evaluate. We then called ortho directly. I again told them we had xrays and report, and the condition my wife was in. They said they could fit her in in OCTOBER. Two broken ankles and they think she should wait two months. We then called an ambulance to have her taken to the Villages Hospital. We were advised to go to Ocala, as Villages hospital was not capable of treating this type of injury. So off to Ocala we went. She was re-xrayed, resplinted, and was told to see their ortho ASAP. We saw him about two hours later. Examined, resplinted (because VHS would not allow him to put her in boots, wants their own supplier) and sent on her way. Fortunately, no surgery was needed, but it was explained that if she had not been treated promptly, she could have further injured herself.
Is it reasonable for VHS ortho to defer treatment for two freshly broken ankles for TWO MONTHS?? The docs at Ocala certainly didn't think so.
We both have the same PC in VHS, and I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. She is going to get an earful. As will the people in the VHS office in Sumter Landing. Again, two broken ankles, don't bother treating for two months?? I think this is borderline malpractice.

Sadly, gone are the days when your doctor made house calls and knew you as a human being. Today, the most important medical question is, what insurance do you have?

When, you call the doctor's office, you do not speak to the doctor. The person you speak to is mostly like a travel agent.
Her computer tells her opened seats on Tuesday. That booking agent, your first contact with an office is actually a very important staff member. She has little or no medical training.
She can get hit with several calls at once and some calls are frankly unreasonable

We hear, we are told that you get better care from private healthcare rather than using a hospital emergency room. Frankly, it depends what for.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
"Break their cronyism"??? Are you joking?? She is their PATIENT, they have a legal responsiblilty to provide services. Ortho made it clear that they do not do same day or next day visits. It was made quite clear that a physician had already recommended seeing ortho as soon as possible. The folks in Ocala were pretty clear in that she could have exacerbated the injury if we had waited for the time suggested by Villages ortho.
I'm only trying to see if our expectations of service are unreasonable. I think I may be looking at something other than the Villages Health System when we renew next year.
Makes some of us glad we got kicked out VHS.
We've had no problems with VHS
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Default We've had no problems with VHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I'm happy that you are glad, but for the benefit of others that may be currently considering the Village Health System, please note that my wife and I have been in a Medicare Advantage Plan with VHS for the past 5 years and have been very pleased with our doctors and all services provided, in all respects.
We have had several medical issues and emergency care issues and have never experienced the problems described elsewhere in this post thread or in other post threads like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Sage

Don't you know that any health care, especially those up north, are far superior to TVHS....just read the past posts. Even those that failed to change their health insurance (some for valid reasons) have always found better health care. It's the rule that when you make a change that whoever you change to is far superior to anything inside the VHS, except for maybe those up north. We like Aw Man have been in the system for the last 5 years, have gone through several medical issues including emergency services and surgeries> Both of us had stays in the The Villages Hospital and never, repeat never had any experiences close to what have been described here. I'm not saying that some haven't had issues, just that they are in the minority.

Berks County Pennsylvania
The Following User Says Thank You to JoMar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. It's been an eye opener. My original question was, am I being unreasonable. Had they said "we can see you Thursday" or "we can see you Friday", that would have been entirely acceptable to me. A few days would have been inconvenient, but not unreasonable (to me). But for ortho to state that it was okay for a period of a couple months before even looking at it, I found unreasonable. Perhaps I am wrong. Judging by the comments here, I guess we need to adjust our expectations for emergency health care. BTW, I have had absolutely no issues with routine care, in fact, I find they are exceptional is this regard. Again, I sincerely thank everyone for your input. This site is a great resource for learning about TV.
Maybe the doctor was being passive aggressive. You didn't want to see the PA so the doctor would give you an appointment
but it wasn't going to be convenient.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Amen!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 AM

Don’t blindly believe statements like: “The Villages Hospital is NOT part of The Village Health System”.
https://thevillageshealth.com/all-se...hospital-care/
This site Shows the connection of the two and how they coordinate services and treatments.

I truly like and use this site for information, but always double check.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Don’t blindly believe statements like: “The Villages Hospital is NOT part of The Village Health System”.
An Innovative Approach to Hospital Care - The Villages Health
This site Shows the connection of the two and how they coordinate services and treatments.

I truly like and use this site for information, but always double check.
TVRH (The Villages Regional Hospital) is run by a hospital company that leases the buildings from the developer who built them and owns them. That company changed hands about eight years ago. The folks who run the hospital are renters.

The Villages Health system, the series of facilties like Creekside is run and owned by the developers. And The Villages Health specialty center is run by the developer.

The ability to access information of a patient hospitalized is a very good thing but it doesn't mean they are both run by the same company.

The Villages Regional Hospital is NOT part of the Villages Health System.

My husband who is a patient at The Villages Health System recently had surgery in a Ocala hospital at the direction of his Villages Health surgeon.