Americans Vaccinated Against Coronavirus Have Lower Mortality Rates — Even From Non-C

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2021, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP’s information from the CDC didn’t say you would never die but just you “might” live longer. Of course, the unvaccinated don’t want to hear this and when they do won’t believe it anyway. No different than the approximate 20% that refuse to wear a seat belt. “You can’t stay young forever but you can be immature for the rest of your life.” Anonymous
A key point is the vaccinated are not dieing at a higher rate due to the vaccine as some unvacinated seem to hope for.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
The article says 77.5% of people over twelve are vaccinated. Wasn't the "original" goal to reach herd immunity set at 70% by Dr Fauci? Do we have a new goal?
Delta is 4-10 times more infectious so now 85-95%% of the population needs antibodies for herd Immunity.

Delta added a lot of natural immunity to the population. Maybe we are close given how rapidly infection/hospitalizations are dropping.

Thanks mostly to those with enough courage to take some risk and be Vaccinated.

The unvacinated should be thankful for those who took the shot rather than reiterate ignorant and intentionally obtuse misinformation and conspiracy theories.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
The article says 77.5% of people over twelve are vaccinated. Wasn't the "original" goal to reach herd immunity set at 70% by Dr Fauci? Do we have a new goal?
Herd immunity refers to the entire population, not just people over 12.

If over 70% of ALL people in the USA are immunized, then the other 30% will have a better shot at protection from herd immunity.

Right now, the total population of the USA is not 70% immunized, because there is a big honkin chunk of children who are not eligible to be immunized COMBINED with the 22.5% of people over 12 who are also not immunized.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Information only...

Americans Vaccinated Against Coronavirus Have Lower Mortality Rates — Even From Non-Covid Causes — CDC Says

People who are vaccinated against Covid-19 are less likely to die for any reason — including from non-coronavirus causes — than the unvaccinated, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released Friday, which researchers framed as more proof of the vaccines’ safety despite stubborn levels of vaccine hesitancy.

KEY FACTS

Partially and fully vaccinated people died from non-coronavirus causes at a lower rate than their unvaccinated peers, according to the study, which looked at millions of patients at seven U.S. health organizations from December to July.

All three vaccines approved by U.S. regulators were tied to lower non-Covid death rates, though the difference in mortality among people who took Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine was slightly smaller than for recipients of Pfizer or Moderna’s vaccines.

Vaccinated members of virtually every racial and age group had lower non-coronavirus mortality rates than unvaccinated people, but the difference was smallest for children ages 12 to 17, possibly because the study looked at just a dozen deaths in that group.

This result suggests the vaccines don’t increase a patient’s risk of death, which “reinforces the safety profile of currently approved COVID-19 vaccines,” the study said.

Vaccines could be tied to lower non-Covid death rates because people who got vaccinated are “inherently healthier or engage in fewer risk behaviors,” or because some deaths caused by the coronavirus weren’t properly classified, the authors wrote.

Another CDC study from last month showed fully vaccinated Americans are also significantly less likely to die from Covid-19 than the unvaccinated.

CONTRA

The study’s results were adjusted for race, age and sex, but didn’t factor in other characteristics like underlying health conditions or socioeconomic status. Still, the researchers said their study is reliable because it covers a large and diverse population.

BIG NUMBER

23%. That’s the share of U.S. adults who told the Kaiser Family Foundation last month they either definitely won’t take a Covid-19 vaccine, will only get vaccinated if it’s mandatory, or are taking a “wait and see” approach to their vaccination status. Levels of vaccine hesitancy have dropped steadily this year, and 77.5% of Americans ages 12 and over are now partially or fully vaccinated, but tens of millions of eligible people have still not gotten a jab.

KEY BACKGROUND

All three Covid-19 vaccines approved in the United States were found to be safe in clinical trials, and real-world studies have backed up their safety and effectiveness. The CDC says reports of side effects from the vaccines — including severe allergic reactions, blood clots and a heart condition called myocarditis — are rare. Plus, studies have indicated the vaccines are extremely effective at staving off hospitalizations and deaths from Covid-19. Still, many unvaccinated Americans have told pollsters they’re wary about the vaccines’ safety or skeptical of their effectiveness, and some public health officials believe patients could be deterred by false rumors about the vaccines that have proliferated on social media.
What blatant propaganda! All of it. And if vaccine hesitancy was waning and only a quarter of eligible people were unvaccinated, the government wouldn't be issuing vaccine mandates.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:29 AM
Veteran member

I am amazed at the resistance of many of the unvaccinated to scientific facts. I had a friend die recently. His wife, who was vaccinated, tried to get him to have a shot. She even had a doctor speak to him to no avail. He believed that the vaccines would alter his DNA! He got Covid. He was then hospitalized and died a few weeks later gasping for breath. The first American to require a vaccination was George Washington. Small pox was threatening his army. The British soldiers were mostly vaccinated so General Washington ordered his troop to get inoculated. Let’s not forget the polio vaccine we all got. We lined up and drank whatever they put in that cup. The internet has degraded intelligent argument and decision making.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I am amazed at the resistance of many of the unvaccinated to scientific facts. I had a friend die recently. His wife, who was vaccinated, tried to get him to have a shot. She even had a doctor speak to him to no avail. He believed that the vaccines would alter his DNA! He got Covid. He was then hospitalized and died a few weeks later gasping for breath. The first American to require a vaccination was George Washington. Small pox was threatening his army. The British soldiers were mostly vaccinated so General Washington ordered his troop to get inoculated. Let’s not forget the polio vaccine we all got. We lined up and drank whatever they put in that cup. The internet has degraded intelligent argument and decision making.
I am amazed at the denial of many vax mandaters to scientific facts showing large percentages of breakthrough cases, hospitalizations, and deaths among the fully vaccinated.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:

Just to clarify, the military still mandates vaccinations. Washington did NOT mandate vaccinations for the whole country, just the military. I am vaccinated for covid, but I do NOT believe in mandates. Right or wrong, a person should have the right to his own choice regarding what medical treatment he/she wishes. If the gov wishes to restrict unvaxxed movement, that is another subject, but I do not believe in forcing someone to stay alive if they wish to die.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Just to clarify, the military still mandates vaccinations. Washington did NOT mandate vaccinations for the whole country, just the military. I am vaccinated for covid, but I do NOT believe in mandates. Right or wrong, a person should have the right to his own choice regarding what medical treatment he/she wishes. If the gov wishes to restrict unvaxxed movement, that is another subject, but I do not believe in forcing someone to stay alive if they wish to die.
You do have the right to whatever medical treatment he/she wishes, within reason (you don't have the right to demand that a licensed medical facility give you intravenous urine treatment for glaucoma, for example).

The government, as an employer, also has the right not to have employees who refuse to abide by their rules and regulations.

And private businesses also have the right to not allow you into their buildings, if you don't abide by their rules and regulations.

No shoes, no shirt, no service. No mask, no service. If everyone had been masking up as soon as the CDC said "yeah let's just make this a thing" we might not have needed vaccines. We'll never know though, because peoples' "freedoms" were more important than public health.

And so now, here we are. With you having your right to not vaccinate, and me having the right to kick you out of my store. Choices have consequences and rights come with responsibilities.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You do have the right to whatever medical treatment he/she wishes, within reason (you don't have the right to demand that a licensed medical facility give you intravenous urine treatment for glaucoma, for example).

The government, as an employer, also has the right not to have employees who refuse to abide by their rules and regulations.

And private businesses also have the right to not allow you into their buildings, if you don't abide by their rules and regulations.

No shoes, no shirt, no service. No mask, no service. If everyone had been masking up as soon as the CDC said "yeah let's just make this a thing" we might not have needed vaccines. We'll never know though, because peoples' "freedoms" were more important than public health.

And so now, here we are. With you having your right to not vaccinate, and me having the right to kick you out of my store. Choices have consequences and rights come with responsibilities.

Did I say something contrary to what you said in your reply?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage

I believe the correct term is inoculation. The smallpox vaccine wasn't developed for another 20 years.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2021, 01:32 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Information only...

Americans Vaccinated Against Coronavirus Have Lower Mortality Rates — Even From Non-Covid Causes — CDC Says

People who are vaccinated against Covid-19 are less likely to die for any reason — including from non-coronavirus causes — than the unvaccinated, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released Friday, which researchers framed as more proof of the vaccines’ safety despite stubborn levels of vaccine hesitancy.

KEY FACTS

Partially and fully vaccinated people died from non-coronavirus causes at a lower rate than their unvaccinated peers, according to the study, which looked at millions of patients at seven U.S. health organizations from December to July.

All three vaccines approved by U.S. regulators were tied to lower non-Covid death rates, though the difference in mortality among people who took Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine was slightly smaller than for recipients of Pfizer or Moderna’s vaccines.

Vaccinated members of virtually every racial and age group had lower non-coronavirus mortality rates than unvaccinated people, but the difference was smallest for children ages 12 to 17, possibly because the study looked at just a dozen deaths in that group.

This result suggests the vaccines don’t increase a patient’s risk of death, which “reinforces the safety profile of currently approved COVID-19 vaccines,” the study said.

Vaccines could be tied to lower non-Covid death rates because people who got vaccinated are “inherently healthier or engage in fewer risk behaviors,” or because some deaths caused by the coronavirus weren’t properly classified, the authors wrote.

Another CDC study from last month showed fully vaccinated Americans are also significantly less likely to die from Covid-19 than the unvaccinated.

CONTRA

The study’s results were adjusted for race, age and sex, but didn’t factor in other characteristics like underlying health conditions or socioeconomic status. Still, the researchers said their study is reliable because it covers a large and diverse population.

BIG NUMBER

23%. That’s the share of U.S. adults who told the Kaiser Family Foundation last month they either definitely won’t take a Covid-19 vaccine, will only get vaccinated if it’s mandatory, or are taking a “wait and see” approach to their vaccination status. Levels of vaccine hesitancy have dropped steadily this year, and 77.5% of Americans ages 12 and over are now partially or fully vaccinated, but tens of millions of eligible people have still not gotten a jab.

KEY BACKGROUND

All three Covid-19 vaccines approved in the United States were found to be safe in clinical trials, and real-world studies have backed up their safety and effectiveness. The CDC says reports of side effects from the vaccines — including severe allergic reactions, blood clots and a heart condition called myocarditis — are rare. Plus, studies have indicated the vaccines are extremely effective at staving off hospitalizations and deaths from Covid-19. Still, many unvaccinated Americans have told pollsters they’re wary about the vaccines’ safety or skeptical of their effectiveness, and some public health officials believe patients could be deterred by false rumors about the vaccines that have proliferated on social media.
Not pro or con on any of the vaccination "stuff", it was right for me, but definitely not a "one size fits all" thing ! The one thing everyone's antenna should go up on, ANY TIME, from a car ad to a medication ad, is the words...." according to a study........." Might be true, complications are "rare", what IS "rare" actually. I had to calculate my own risk tolerance. Some of our children made a different decision based on their circumstances. NONE of us are "protected" and none of us are now unable to spread it, so to pound on my family and friends to do what I did, not worth it. What if one day the ones who chose to not get the vaccination prove to have made the wisest decision ? Maybe I will regret I did do it, maybe I will regret the one I chose, only time will tell.... Keep in mind the drip, drip, drip... Face's adamant denial the USA had anything to do with this horrific development, then drip, drip, drip for months, the the bomb shell yesterday. Same with the Laundrie "incident" down in North Point, Fl, same now with he tragic death on the set of the movie.... each day since, drip, drip, drip, new details. I made a choice to "do it", will never try to bully others to because there is always the chance I was wrong ! ! Humility is a lost "art", as is "respect" for the decisions of others. I do not view my unvaxed family members as "threats", any more than I view "suspicious" looking individuals in a store, as a personal threat to me. Life IS A RISK it's a risk to walk across a 4 lane road, it's a risk to be in public, you CAN get killed slipping and falling on a wet parking lot, you CAN get hepatitis by eating out, you can get flu even with "flu" shots, we all should, but won't, stop, THINK, and allow people to make choices best for them. We each can not parents every living adult. My personal choice, I would LOVE to stop every person in the world around me from smoking, but I would rather life in a democratic republic and "adjust" to the fact that others think and chose differently. I KNOW my government can't cover every possible risk for me by making more and more, and MORE laws !
Old 10-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Did I say something contrary to what you said in your reply?
You wrote:
Quote:
If the gov wishes to restrict unvaxxed movement, that is another subject,
I say it is part of the same subject. No one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated. You're not being strapped down and a needle inserted into your skin against your will.

The issue that people are against, are the mandated consequences of choosing not to vaccinate.

You don't have to vaccinate. However, if you refuse, you can't work for the government. You have the right to not work for the government, and remain unvaccinated.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:05 PM

really, this sounds political to me..
Old 10-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
really, this sounds political to me..
Public health isn't political. Unfortunately, some people have chosen to inject politics into public health matters. There is no vaccine to protect us from that, much as many of us wish there was.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Sounds political?
The whole pandemic was politicized right from the beginning, and science was the loser for it.
Keep on banging the same old drums does nothing to sort the issue either.
The only thing that is positive, is that you have more chance of surviving Covid as an oldie with the vaccine, than without it.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccines, vaccinated, covid-19, study, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.