Measles.

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Measles.

I have always been very interested in health and medicine. I can't help being concerned about the recent Measles outbreak related to Disneyland in California. There are several dozen cases in California and now the disease has spread to several Western states as well. It was probably brought here from another country as Measles was effectively wiped out for several years here in the U.S due to the widely used vaccine.

Measles is one of the most contagious diseases and has serious complications including pneumonia, encephalitis and even cornea scarring. It can cause death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

Vaccination has been made controversial due to the belief by some that it may cause Autism.

Although unlikely to affect us seniors directly, it does affect our families and this whole country.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think it is the uncontrolled illegal immigration from Central and South America.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have always been very interested in health and medicine. I can't help being concerned about the recent Measles outbreak related to Disneyland in California. There are several dozen cases in California and now the disease has spread to several Western states as well. It was probably brought here from another country as Measles was effectively wiped out for several years here in the U.S due to the widely used vaccine.

Measles is one of the most contagious diseases and has serious complications including pneumonia, encephalitis and even cornea scarring. It can cause death.

Measles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vaccination has been made controversial due to the belief by some that it may cause Autism.

Although unlikely to affect us seniors directly, it does affect our families and this whole country.
Gracie, You bring up an excellent subject. Our daughters have babies. In their circle of friends and others, many parents are NOT allowing their children to be vaccinated. It amazes me that these young parents don't see the consequences that can occur. These are well educated kids that decide that their infants and babies should not have these shots. My daughters' pediatrician will not take children into his practice unless they are up to date on all their shots.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Both very good points. Couple the influx of illegals swarming our borders and an anti-vac crowd, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

You do all understand that this outbreak was caused by a wealthy person (enough $ to be able afford Disneyland) who is not an undocumented immigrant? Never miss an opportunity to blame the "illegal" immigrants for whatever has happened or might happen in the future.

Don't let facts ever get in the way of a strong held wrong opinion. Google will give you data on the sources of measles cases in this country, and where internationally there are issues (hint, not Latin America).

From the CDC ( I know unreliable government agency peddling lies....)

"The number of reported measles cases in the United States has declined from nearly 900,000 annually in the early 1940s to an average of 83 cases annually from 2001 through 2011. As a result of high vaccination coverage and better measles control in the Americas, in 2000, measles was declared eliminated (no disease transmission for at least 12 months) in the United States. Indigenous measles virus circulation was interrupted in 2002 in the rest of the Western Hemisphere. However, measles virus continues to be imported into the United States from other parts of the world. Globally, an estimated 20 million measles cases occur each year. Given the large global incidence and high communicability of the disease, travelers may be exposed to the virus in almost any country they visit, particularly those outside the Western Hemisphere, where measles is endemic or where large outbreaks are occurring. Of the 222 reported measles cases in the United States in 2011, 200 (90%) were associated with importations from other countries, including 72 direct importations (52 among US residents traveling abroad and 20 among foreign visitors). The largest percentage of importations (46%) was among people who acquired the disease in Europe. However, importations consistently occur from other countries and regions, including India and the Philippines."

Measles (Rubeola) - Chapter 3 - 2014 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC
Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Both very good points. Couple the influx of illegals swarming our borders and an anti-vac crowd, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
And everyone knows that the very first place all these illegals head for is a Disney Park.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Since Blueash headed into political, I will too. I wish the surgeon general would speak out on the issue of a potentially hazardous outbreak and the anti-vaccination movement.

If the doctors for CNN and NBC can speak on this, so can our surgeon general.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-24-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Since Blueash headed into political, I will do. I wish the surgeon general would speak out on the issue of a potentially hazardous outbreak and the anti-vaccination movement.

If the doctors for CNN and NBC can speak on this, so can our surgeon general.
The office has..........
Measles cases in the United States reach 20-year high | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
And everyone knows that the very first place all these illegals head for is a Disney Park.
There is a reason all the signs at Disneyland are bilingual.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

The OP was not isolating the topic to Disneyland. Hence the "and now the disease has spread to several Western states as well. It was probably brought here from another country as Measles was effectively wiped out for several years here in the U.S due to the widely used vaccine."
Anyone who thinks the illegals that are flocking to our country are vaccinated has their head in the sand. They have already brought a drug resistant strain of TB here. Another disease that was virtually eradicated in the US by the 60's.
Florida has the 3rd largest illegal population. Since 2008, Jacksonville had a TB outbreak that the CDC said was among the worst in 20 years.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

anybody who thinks one has to be "wealthy" to get into DisneyLand has not ever stood in line and take account those waiting to get in. However it serves the purpose to set up the rest of the post.

Many families save for years to make the journey (like us in our day with 5 kids....wealthy?) Many more just charge it to the plastic. Wealth is most certainly not the determinant for those who CHOOSE to go to DisneyLand.....not even close.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage
Default Let's not forget the freedom issue!

I think the purpose of this thread is to promote awareness of an important health issue, which is the same thing I sometimes do concerning diet/lifestyle.

I have been told that lifestyle is a matter of personal choice. In the U.S., many people say parents and children should have the freedom to make poor choices, as in school lunches etc.. The poor choice of not getting one's child vaccinated is just another example.

It's the parent's choice to not vaccinate their children, just as it may be their choice to feed their children junk-food, thereby putting their children at higher risk for obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer etc..

Let's not forget the freedom issue.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.