Anyone on a Coumadin Maintenance Program?

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Thumbs down Anyone on a Coumadin Maintenance Program?

Looking for a knowledgeable practitioner to manage my Coumadin/warfarin as my PCM isn't "comfortable" with doing so. Recommendations?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherzberg View Post
Looking for a knowledgeable practitioner to manage my Coumadin/warfarin as my PCM isn't "comfortable" with doing so. Recommendations?
Switch to another drug. Several alternatives now available that do not require diet monitoring or frequent blood tests. Less bruising and less risk of severe bleeding.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Default Coumadin alternatives

Yes, there are a few new alternatives to Coumadin that you may consider.
If you don't want to switch there may be a "Coumadin Clinic" where you just go in for the test and any quick adjustment to your dose. Usually Cardiac Dr's. offices do this. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default some ideas

I am up north and work as a nurse at a large Cardiology office. Here is what I know...

For Coumadin....your Cardiologists office will often dose you and tell you where you can get drawn. Check around; some places are mega expensive just to have the blood draw.

Many family doctors will manage dosing you also and tell you where you can have your blood draws.

Also many hospitals up north have an ATU clinic inside.

Yes there are alternative meds that do not require blood draws and they may be a good choice for you. However, most new meds are so new that they are very expensive. It would be worth it to check it out if you are interested in that approach or at least talk to your doctor about it..
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 AM

I do weekly blood checks at home and report results via internet. If values are out of range Dr. Georg Coutouriere's office in Spanish Springs is notified and the office advises me re dosing.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Citrus cardiology has an excellent coumadin clinic with the new equipment that gives the results during your visit.
It is by appointment and they are on time 98% of the time.
352-751-3356 (in Sumter Landing on Old Camp Road....across from Too Jays ).

If you are considering one of the alternatives that do not require monitoring BE SURE TO NOTE THE DIFFERENCES in the medication.........they MAY NOT accomplish what your physician intended with the coumadin/warfarin regimine.

btk
Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Citrus cardiology has an excellent coumadin clinic with the new equipment that gives the results during your visit.
It is by appointment and they are on time 98% of the time.
352-751-3356 (in Sumter Landing on Old Camp Road....across from Too Jays ).

If you are considering one of the alternatives that do not require monitoring BE SURE TO NOTE THE DIFFERENCES in the medication.........they MAY NOT accomplish what your physician intended with the coumadin/warfarin regimine.

btk
I've been with Citrus Cardio for 2 years and have been very happy with their services. Unfortunately the dreaded UnitedHealth Care letter came and now they are out along with my Primary and Dermatologist. A new search begins.
Skip 2
Old 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM

Be careful with other drugs as suggested by Challenger. I, too, am on Coumadin and an RN. Coumadin can be reversed if you have an internal bleed but many if not all of the new drugs cannot at the present time. A real problem! I learned this from a pharmacist. I also use Heart of the Villages at Spanish Springs and extremely pleased! Very reasonable charge for testing; lab work only where my previous cardiologist charged for an office visit and lab work!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.