Anyone have dental ins they pay themselves?

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Default Anyone have dental ins they pay themselves?

Our med coverage only pays for cleaning and then only 75%. Would appreciate some info on dental ins we could purchase that is accepted around The Villages. TIA
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold member

If your teeth are in fairly good shape it is usually not worth it to buy dental insurance...it isn't truly insurance anyway..they will charge you a monthly fee and then give you possibly $1000 per year to spend the way they want you to spend it. If you don't do that much dentistry in one year you lose it...then on to the next year...do some research online and check the rates. They may tell you that they pay 50% of a crown (for example) but then they tell you how much the dentist should charge for the crown..say the crown is 900 but the insurance company says it SHOULD be $700 according to their fee table which they develop...so they will pay $350...for which you have paid them $600 for that years premiums. If you are primarily going to the dentist for cleanings it's usually much cheaper to just pay for the cleanings and XRays. Check everything out before you buy dental insurance..Determine how much work you actually need and whether or not paying the premiums is worth it.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM

Having worked in the dental field for 20 years, I agree with a previous poster that says...don't waste your money on purchasing your own dental insurance. Truly, it is a lose/lose plan...when you buy outside of a group plan, generally there is a 'waiting' period for anything of value, i.e. crown, endo, etc. The insurer first and foremost has to collect enough from you in premiums in order to pay out, so if you have to pay a premium and then a co-pay for a routine visit, you definitely are running a losing race. Bite the bullet, and just pay for your visits, especially if you have good dental health. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true.....
Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Mine has been a GODSEND for me. I use FL Combined Life. I pay $100 every few months. I have to have a LOT of cleanings for my gums and just got a crown. My cost: $320. Not bad, eh? For me, it has been worth it. Maybe after I get all my work done, I will cancel. I have had it for two years now, bigger benefits kicked in the second year.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.