Anyone on Meloxicam?

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Sage
Default Anyone on Meloxicam?

Doctor put me on it 3 months ago for bursitis in my arms. Hubby took a photo of me yesterday and I noticed that my face was swollen. I couldn't figure out why and started reading side effects of this medication. I have never seen a medication have so many side-effects listed as this one. Many of the symptoms I was having like chills/sweats, hair loss/thinning, swollen face, swelling around the eyes, itching, rash, stomach upset were on the list. I just thought I'd put this out there for you all so you are aware. The side-effects seem excessive for an approved medication. This is prescribed to many people with arthritis. I'm not suggesting you go off it, just if you have some symptoms you can't nail down maybe talk to your doctor about it.

Meloxicam Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com
Old 08-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Doctor put me on it 3 months ago for bursitis in my arms. Hubby took a photo of me yesterday and I noticed that my face was swollen. I couldn't figure out why and started reading side effects of this medication. I have never seen a medication have so many side-effects listed as this one. Many of the symptoms I was having like chills/sweats, hair loss/thinning, swollen face, swelling around the eyes, itching, rash, stomach upset were on the list. I just thought I'd put this out there for you all so you are aware. The side-effects seem excessive for an approved medication. This is prescribed to many people with arthritis. I'm not suggesting you go off it, just if you have some symptoms you can't nail down maybe talk to your doctor about it.

Yes, my wife is on it, and I prescribed it for her. When you list the "side effects" of a drug, you get a long litany of horrible conditions that generally rarely happen. The side effects of meloxicam are almost identical to OTC aspirin, except the rate of GI bleeding is much less with meloxicam. Swelling is common with all NSAIDs. If you are having a lot of problems with this drug, your doctor can change it to a different NSAID. Most of the time that you get a "side effect" with one you don't get it with a different one.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post

Been on it for a couple of years; haven't experienced any of the side effects listed; I sure can tell when I miss it for a couple of days. ☹️
Old 08-23-2016, 02:52 PM

i've been on it two years with no side effects.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM

I have been on it for several months, I began to have chest and stomach pain for several weeks. Since I have a history of ulcers, my doc stopped it and ordered omeprezol, 20mg. In less than one week the pain was gone.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM

I have been on it successfully for 2 years without any problems. This has been a great relief fo my osteoarthritis, allowing me to stay active playing golf and using the gym. OTOH, My wife tried for a short period of time and it caused her a bit of stomach distress. Her MD prescribed something else. If you get an adverse reaction you should ask your MD for something else. I don't see the side effects as anything worse than Advil of Aleve.

Best
Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

I have a bone on bone hip and been on Meloxicam for a number of years with no side affects. My wife has also been on it for a few months with no side affects.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 PM

No side effects here after years of using it.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Sage

Then I must be allergic, my eyes swelled up all around them, I had huge bags, face swollen, hair loss, brittle hair, stomach distress, itching eyes, rash. All of this started in the last 3 months since I started taking it. I've been off it two days and all of the swelling and itching is gone as are the chills/sweats. Hoping my hair grows back thick the way it was before.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

yes, you had an unusual reaction. have you taken other medications in this class without problems, like ibuprofen or aleve? If not, you may need to be careful of that whole class of medications called NSAIDS. definitely, talk to your doctor about this.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
yes, you had an unusual reaction. have you taken other medications in this class without problems, like ibuprofen or aleve? If not, you may need to be careful of that whole class of medications called NSAIDS. definitely, talk to your doctor about this.
I can never take Aleve or Ibuprofen as they really tear up my stomach right away. I took Lyrica and gained 10 lbs in one week and had to discontinue that.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

My husband was on this med & experienced the side effects of chills and 103 temp, with body aches. He is seldom ill & as soon as he was off of it the side effects stopped. He can take Aleve, etc. so his reaction was a surprise. When we called the pharmacist (the doctor office was closed), he said he doubted the symptoms were from this med since only about 1% of the participants in the clinical trials experienced these side effects; however, we strongly feel his experience was indeed due to this medicine.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
My husband was on this med & experienced the side effects of chills and 103 temp, with body aches. He is seldom ill & as soon as he was off of it the side effects stopped. He can take Aleve, etc. so his reaction was a surprise. When we called the pharmacist (the doctor office was closed), he said he doubted the symptoms were from this med since only about 1% of the participants in the clinical trials experienced these side effects; however, we strongly feel his experience was indeed due to this medicine.
yes, I had the chills and sweats and body aches too. All went away when I stopped.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Sage

We're all individual in how any medication might affect us. I've been on Meloxicam for RA and fibromyalgia. I'm glad you posted this because lately I've had some stomach issues and never put the two and two together. I may try stopping it and see if my issues improve. As an aside to this .....over the years I've found I do have a drug sensitivity but mostly with antibiotics and a couple of pain medications (Percocet is one). IF the Meloxicam is coated it should be safer for most folks.
Closed Thread

Tags
medication, symptoms, face, doctor, side-effects

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.