hearing aids

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Unhappy hearing aids

can anyone offer advise on hearing aids? My hearing is getting so bad I 'm more frustrated than my wife. Any input will be appreciated
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Spend some money to get ones you will really be happy with and that you will use. If you need two (one for each ear) be prepared to spend $4000 or so. I think you will find the 'behind the ear' type with an almost invisible earpiece on your ear, best. I know I did. 'In the ear', no matter how small, bothered me.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

If you're a veteran, make an appointment with the hearing clinic in the local VA clinic. If you qualify, you may get hearing aids for free. But all that aside, the first thing you should do is have an examination by an ENT doc to make sure there is no serious reason for your hearing loss.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM

The doctor will advise you on which you would need to do the best job for your lifestyle and your type of hearing loss....
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
can anyone offer advise on hearing aids? My hearing is getting so bad I 'm more frustrated than my wife. Any input will be appreciated
I've been a long time hearing aid user and I know exactly what you're going thru. But don't put it off. Get a hearing exam and start the process. You'll be glad you did and so will your wife. It won't fix everything and in a crowded room you still won't be able to hear but the difference it will make in your life is amazing. I'll also offer the suggestion that you buy TV Ears which is another god send for those of us with hearing problems. You can adjust the volume for your use while anyone else can listen at the normal range. You can even mute the TV and you still will be able to hear. Again your wife will be very pleased and you will be also. Good Luck
Skip 2
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
See your doctor. A medical exam will determine if your hearing loss is medically treatable. If not, you can be referred to a licensed audiologist to see if you are a candidate for hearing aids. (With a medical referral, Medicare beneficiaries can get a complete hearing test at no cost.)
Costco Hearing Centers are a good source for a hearing test and a good selection of aids at much better pricing then most hearing aid dispensers.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Sage

Go to an ENT and check for ear wax build-up and have a hearing test performed.

Be prepared to spend at least 2K to 5k for hearing aids, (both ears), that go behind the ear. I believe they are digital with no adjustments required. Discuss the various options with your doctor to see what suits you best.

I have the Starkey brand that goes for 2K that seem to work well. Starkey repair centers are in TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM

First, check your insurance. My employer's insurance covered SOME of the cost of my hearing aids. My current United Health Care Advantage plan covers some also. Hearing aids are expensive.

Second, as advised above, have your hearing professionally checked after consulting your doctor to determine if the hearing loss is something that can be corrected. Hearing loss is common and, if you are worrying about appearance, hearing aids are less obvious than glasses.

Third, in my somewhat limited experience, I found that neither of my hearing tests were conducted with the same level of 'science' or professionalism as when my eye-sight has been checked for glasses. With eye testing, you can actually see what the final prescription will be with the corrective lenses they dial in with the tester. They essentially allow you to see as well as ever. With a hearing test, they determine what frequency 'channels' need to be amplified but you don't hear the result until after you buy the hearing aids and have them programmed. I have 'top of the line' Starkeys and they allow me to hear much better - but the fidelity is really not like the real thing.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markam View Post
With a hearing test, they determine what frequency 'channels' need to be amplified but you don't hear the result until after you buy the hearing aids and have them programmed. I have 'top of the line' Starkeys and they allow me to hear much better - but the fidelity is really not like the real thing.
If the provider doesn't allow a "test-drive" on the HA's they recommend based on your audiogram, take your audiogram and go somewhere else.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Hearing Aids Comparison - Consumer Reports Health

Got mine here;

Hearing Aids - Digital Hearing Aids - Order Online Today!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
If the provider doesn't allow a "test-drive" on the HA's they recommend based on your audiogram, take your audiogram and go somewhere else.
Evidently I didn't explain myself clearly and perhaps am picking nits.

Yes, I was able to approve my hearing aids before buying them. The point I was trying to make was that the process for correcting hearing loss doesn't seem as objective as with glasses. With glasses, I can see what my vision will be with the new prescription before I even order them and the new glasses can be objectively confirmed to prove they are as ordered. With hearing aids, I don't think there is any way to be retested while wearing the new hearing aids to confirm that they have been properly programmed. About all that can be done is to see if they 'seem' to be OK. I could be wrong about this.

One other factor in the comparison of glasses to hearing aids...
Hearing aids, while expensive, can be reprogrammed again and again, to compensate for changing hearing. whereas glasses cannot be changed to compensate for changing vision.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Had a test at Audibel in the Villages. Tiffany, the audiologist is very nice but I'm totally unfamiliar with the process. Should I go to Costco in Altamonte Springs to seek a better price or am I better off locally where my adjustments can be more easily made? Any advice will be most welcomed. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Had a test at Audibel in the Villages. Tiffany, the audiologist is very nice but I'm totally unfamiliar with the process. Should I go to Costco in Altamonte Springs to seek a better price or am I better off locally where my adjustments can be more easily made? Any advice will be most welcomed. Thank you.
A 2nd opinion is a definite plus. But I would prefer a test by a real ENT.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM

There is a hearing aid store in the Colony Plaza, I bought mine there very satisfied

drd
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markam View Post
Evidently I didn't explain myself clearly and perhaps am picking nits.

Yes, I was able to approve my hearing aids before buying them. The point I was trying to make was that the process for correcting hearing loss doesn't seem as objective as with glasses. With glasses, I can see what my vision will be with the new prescription before I even order them and the new glasses can be objectively confirmed to prove they are as ordered. With hearing aids, I don't think there is any way to be retested while wearing the new hearing aids to confirm that they have been properly programmed. About all that can be done is to see if they 'seem' to be OK. I could be wrong about this.

One other factor in the comparison of glasses to hearing aids...
Hearing aids, while expensive, can be reprogrammed again and again, to compensate for changing hearing. whereas glasses cannot be changed to compensate for changing vision.
I assume you had an audiolologists performed to necessary hearing test and recommended what hearing aids to buy, there are some are things to consider:
1. I was informed that one needs to get use to hearing aids.
2. You will never hear perfectly if you have nerve damage. Nothing like the original equipment GOD gave us. Top of the line hearing aids will bring you as close as you can get.
3. Hearing loss doesn't let you hear certain words if some is walking away from you and not talking directly to you.
4. Hearing loss - You have troubling distinguishing speech if there are more than one conversation taking place.
5. Hearing loss - You can't hear perfectly in a room full of extraneous noise unless you bought top of the line hearing aids but it's as close as you can get.

I just had my hearing aids programmed for a higher level as there were originally set in a lower setting as I needed to get use to them. I originally noticed a distint improvement in hearing but after a while, I determined they were a little bit too low. Now when I take them off, I notice a big drop in my heraing capabilities.

I hope this helps you.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.