Arthritis

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Arthritis

I have sufferd with arthritis for about 25 years. Each year my doc would try out new meds. About 5 years ago he put me on Methotrexate, a chemotherapy drug. I have never liked it, so last June I decided to stop ALL my meds. No problem, doc was not happy, but as I said to him, my body. I noticed my spectacles did not seem to be doing the job,that worried me, as I knew some of the meds did affect eyesight.
Had an eye test on Tuesday, and picked up fabulous new specks yesterday. The old ones were too strong for me!! Since stopping the meds my eyes had got better, back to a pescription strength from about 10 years ago!!
The pain my doc promised would come back, so far has not, maybe the odd twinge, but nothing a paracetamol can not take away!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

don't forget to increase your dosage of the best meds of all.....execise and activity. The enemy of arthritis is activity....the more the better.

A sedentary life style is the breeding ground of many of the ills that seem to come with the aging process.

It is a no cost way to a better lifestyle.......even if one only gets out and does a daily walk.....really!.

btk
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Default arthritis

Now that the weather is a little better, I am spending more time walking on the beach with our dog. He loves it as much as i do To get to any of our beaches we have a long walk down the zig zag cliff paths, and an even longer walk back up them, as they are so steep, but i am feeling the benefit!
A year ago it was so hard to do these walks!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
I have sufferd with arthritis for about 25 years. Each year my doc would try out new meds. About 5 years ago he put me on Methotrexate, a chemotherapy drug. I have never liked it, so last June I decided to stop ALL my meds. No problem, doc was not happy, but as I said to him, my body. I noticed my spectacles did not seem to be doing the job,that worried me, as I knew some of the meds did affect eyesight.
Had an eye test on Tuesday, and picked up fabulous new specks yesterday. The old ones were too strong for me!! Since stopping the meds my eyes had got better, back to a pescription strength from about 10 years ago!!
The pain my doc promised would come back, so far has not, maybe the odd twinge, but nothing a paracetamol can not take away!
Good for you! I'm glad to hear of your success in dropping all of your arthritis medications. Exercise is very good, as was stated. But let's not leave out the important role of diet. What we eat has a profound impact on our overall health. There are foods that promote inflammation and foods that help prevent inflammation.

Good luck! You're on the right track.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Most doctors want to put you on meds for everything. I you want to be "healthy" take good care of yourself with exercise/diet and most meds won't be needed. Now of course that isn't 100% but people in the USA are way too dependant on drugs. Just my opinion. Glad you're doing great w/o the meds!!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm2760jmm View Post
Most doctors want to put you on meds for everything. I you want to be "healthy" take good care of yourself with exercise/diet and most meds won't be needed. Now of course that isn't 100% but people in the USA are way too dependant on drugs. Just my opinion. Glad you're doing great w/o the meds!!
Your opinion is good, in my opinion.

I just bought a book today on this subject. The title is: "Death By Medicine" by Gary Null, PhD with Martin Feldman, MD, Debora Rasio, MD and Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.

I haven't read it yet but the cover says: "More Americans are dying each year at the hands of medicine than all American casualties in WWI and the Civil War combined." I think it means medical practice in general but I think most of it is about drugs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.