Aspen Dental on 441

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112
Default Aspen Dental on 441

Attention Everyone:

I have a story to tell:

Two weeks ago I went to Aspen Dental on 441 for the free xrays and exam advertised in the Daily Sun. After having the panoramic view of many xrays the Dental Hygenist came in with an assistant. She then instructed her to mark every tooth of mine with weird numbers on a piece of paper. After this was done, the Dentist came in and looked at the paper and showed me the paper with many red marks on it. Then he told me I had gum disease. I couldn't believe it because I didn't have any problems. Then, I was instructed to go into the next room to see the financial person. I went in and sat down and she proceeded to tell me it was going to cost $2100. This would include 2 visits of opening my gums and putting antibiotics in them. She asked if I had any insurance and I told her I didn't. Then she offered me a $300 coupon and also asked me if I used a regular toothbrush or automatic one. I told her I use a regular toothbrush and then she told me they would throw in an automatic toothbrush for nothing and that would take the cost down to a mere $1700. Then she said if I wanted to I could pay $100 a month unless I didn't have good credit. I told her I had excellent credit but that wasn't the problem. I told her I have always kept up with my dentist appointments on a regular basis and couldn't believe my dentist wouldn't have seen this. She said that happens sometimes.

I left the office realizing I would get a second opinion. And that is what I did.

I went to a dentist here in the Villages today and didn't say a word about my previous visit to Aspen. I had xrays and an exam all over again. And guess what? The dentist looked at my xrays and my teeth and said right away hat I have beautiful teeth and she can tell I take very good care of my teeth and my gums. And, the dentist noticed a drill had been left in one of my teeth. I told it was left in there by mistake by a previous dentist years ago when he performed a root canal. Aspen didn't even mention that.

My advise to everyone is don't go to Aspen Dental unless you want to get ripped off.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM

My wife and I went thru the same and refused their services. We flew back to NJ to our old dentist and got our teeth cleaned and serviced without all the major repairs that Aspen claimed we had.
Now we just keep getting a bill notice for the xrays that were supposed to be free.
Would you mind Pm to me the name of your new dentist. We can't fly back to jersey everytime .
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I went to Palm Ridge Dental on county road 101 across from Crispers and was very happy. They are probably one of the most reasonable in the Villages.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Founder

Wow, what a story. How can they do that?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

this should be reported....gn
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM

I have not visited Aspen as I had similar event in Ohio at Aspen. I have found Modern Dentistry, in Colonial to the left of Publix, to be very good and am very pleased. I'm not sure of the rundown of insurance companies they are affiliated with however.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Gold member

Wow, that's unreal - thanks for posting the nfo!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

I would recommend that anyone who has had an experience like this contact the Florida Board of Dentistry and file a complaint.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Advertising as they did sounds a bit like a "bait and switch".....years ago Sears had that held againest them in a law-suit. As someone else said here...I would report them. There is also an entity (can't remember the name now) here in TV.....something about "senior crime" or some such thing. I think what happened to you is highly unethical.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum member

The same thing happened to my wife and me at Exceptional Dentistry in La Plaza Grande Shopping Center. We have been going to the same dentist regularly for well over 20 years, before moving here. The people at ED told us that we needed somewhere in the neighborhood of $9000 work between us. We went back for the cleaning, but I'm pretty sure they won't be seeing us any more.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Mike & Nancy,

Boy, talk about scams. I would bet this is routine. Try to get you signed up before leaving to think it over. That kind of pressure sales I've seen from previous post here dealing with Air Conditioning, Lawns, and Plumbing. Scamming someone with healthy teeth and mouth, I find that pretty low. Probably would have created problems and more cost had they the chance to go through with it.

When you get that gut feeling that something is wrong, or a little doubt sets in - that's usually a very good indication that you should not, at this time anyway, agree to committing yourself. Sleeping on it and deferring your decision would be the wisest choice.

It's a shame the additional cost to you, (having the second honest dental office repeat the procedures). I'm happy to see you had the good sense and ratiocination to say things were not right with Aspen. Thanks for the posting.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

A drill was left in your teeth by a previous dentist years ago???? WOW that is BIZARRE!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Opening your gums and inserting antibiotics? I have never heard of that.

I agree with Brostholder, go back to his link and report this person. His license should be suspended.

I am suspicious of FREE anything....except for buy one can of peas and get one free.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Gold member

This is all too similar to another complaint posted on Complaints Board.

Aspen Dental has a very bad track record.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
This is all too similar to another complaint posted on Complaints Board.

Aspen Dental has a very bad track record.

I find it interesting that at the above mentioned site, there are tons of complaints about this company. Allie from Aspen Dental also posts apologies to each complain. She has done so 202 times at this site.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.