Assisted Living Facility

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Default Assisted Living Facility

I moved my 90+ year old mom from her home in the Northeast into an Assisted Living facility here in August. I am not yet convinced that this is the right one for her, even after visiting several prior to this selection.
I am soliciting opinions, avoidance, recommendations for the right one. Have any of you gone through this same issue? I have worked in healthcare, am an advocate, a fighter if things are not right.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:15 AM

Tried to PM you but not working for me. Going thru same issue. Willing to share lessons to date. Will try to PM you again later.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

My 94 year old Mom (with Dementia) lives in Serenades. I'm sure you probably have visited them. She has lived there since it opened three years ago. While I can say that in general she is well cared for, I am displeased that there has been at least four different managers in three years. A month or so ago, Serenades told me she had to go to a skilled nursing facility because she was a four person transfer. My Mom is 4'11" and weighs 150 lbs., she is not a four person transfer. So, I went crazy trying to get her into a skilled nursing facility, only to find there were no open beds within 30 miles. I visit her daily, did not want to drive further than 30 miles to see her. Then, suddenly, there was new management and was told she did not have to go to a skilled nursing facility, so she is still there. My conclusion: former manager wanted to get rid of her because, like you, I am very vocal about anything not right. Another conclusion is that they didn't want to lose her monthly rent. PM me for any other questions. The facility is clean, the day to day staff are caring and compassionate, but management needs an overhaul.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhillsgirl View Post
I moved my 90+ year old mom from her home in the Northeast into an Assisted Living facility here in August. I am not yet convinced that this is the right one for her, even after visiting several prior to this selection.
I am soliciting opinions, avoidance, recommendations for the right one. Have any of you gone through this same issue? I have worked in healthcare, am an advocate, a fighter if things are not right.
I highly recommend (and can't say enough good things about) Mission Oaks, in Oxford, on 301. Both my mom and dad were there until their health issues required a SNF.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

My wife's mother was in the memory care portion of Mission Oaks for around 1.5 years, until she passed away, and was very well cared for.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Default assisted living facility

My Mom is at Mission Oaks, and it is wonderful. Staff is caring, and she is very well cared for. When I was looking around for a place, I talked with a lot of nurses, rehab people, etc. and they all liked Mission Oaks the best.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhillsgirl View Post
You seem to expect others to post positive and negative feedback. You haven't mentioned where she is now. Will you do so?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:46 PM

delete

Last edited by TunaFish; 11-11-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: delete
Old 10-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Default Mom in AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You seem to expect others to post positive and negative feedback. You haven't mentioned where she is now. Will you do so?
Honestly, I do not want to mention where she has been for the last 8 weeks. If I "say" and anyone who works there, is in upper management there, could potentionally create a problem for my mom. I do not want that to happen. They have already changed her status, which, as you know, cost more money.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM

Thank you. You may not remember me, also from PA, but I rented a patio villa for my mom, next to where your mom was going to live. She appeared to be outgoing... I'm envious, as my mother was, and is, still not. I guess we do what we believe is the best we can provide for our family.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Default Alf

Researched a number of ALF's especially Memory Care. Mission Oaks did not work for my family. Check out ELAN they have both ALF and MC.
Closed Thread

Tags
assisted, facility, living, recommendations, soliciting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.