Assisted Living Recommendations Please

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdburns11 View Post
I asked a similar question a few months back as we were moving my Mother to this area — I think you can find it here:

For what it’s worth, we choose Mission Oaks on 301 just south of 466 and I’m very happy with the attentiveness of staff, quality of food, number of organized activities, overall cost/value and medical/physical therapy care provided. Feel free to e-mail me at jdburns11@msn.com if you want more specific info or to talk.

Help please - Navigating Senior Care Facility Options

Please let me know if the link doesn’t work or you can’t find it — if you search posts by my username it will be one of the only ones.

I looked at and generally liked Sumter Senior Living and Watercrest but they are spendy and somewhat bigger, more commercialized.
Thank you! I just read through your post. I will take a look at Mission Oaks again. I have two parents I'm looking for and if I remember correctly the rooms were small for two people. I'm glad you found a place you are comfortable with for your Mom, this is such an incredibly hard decision.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I've heard amazing things about Freedom Pointe. Excellent food, activities, setting.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
Can anyone recommend an assisted living facility that they've had fairly recent experience with? Any that should be stayed away from? Thank you for taking time to respond.
Here's a real cut the mustard look at 3 of them -

Sumter Senior Living. Looks nice, but it isn't all that. The medical staff is severly lacking in knowledge and care. They are quick to judge and make things easier on themselves and they do not listen. This one fell apart within 4 weeks before we moved her to a different facility.

Trinity Springs. Very nice place, decently handled. one issue is the head of nursing is only a LPN (typically know squat about anything) This did work for about a year, but then they wanted things easier on them. Which amounted to sticking her ina corner room down at the end of a wing that no nursing staff ever goes in on a regular basis, and again lack of listening.

Heidi's Haven. Small and 'close knit' for 1 flat fee everything is taken care of. It's a house, care is right there, meals are home cooked and tailored to the residents, etc. We found it quite nice and more attentive than the rest. All medical was top notch.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:31 AM

I have friends in Trinity Springs assisted living and they are happy there. It is bright and cheery and the staff are so friendly. I was able to eat with them one time and the food was excellent.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:41 AM
Default Buffalo Ridge Rehab Center:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Buffalo Crossing has a rehab center, but behind it is a 3 story building with apartments for residents to live, assisted living situation. Check it out.
List is a serious issue, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) wants to ensure that consumers are informed about their choices. The facilities listed below have been cited for Abuse based on the findings in their annual Health Inspections. In order to qualify for this designation, a home must have had either a serious abuse deficiency on their latest inspection or consecutive less-serious citations on their StarPRO Risk Assessment

RED FLAGGED - Severe Abuse

“BUFFALO CROSSINGS HEALTHCARE & REHABILITATION - The Villages

"Red Hand" Abuse Designation
This facility has been cited for serious or repeat resident abuse on its recent surveys.”

Last edited by jamblu; 12-21-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:43 AM
Default Freedom Pointe!

I was in Freedom Pointe for 2 1/2 weeks during JUL/AUG following major back surgery. I can only tell you how incredibly caring and helpful the entire staff was while I was there. If I were to need assisted living (or any other type of living care) I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat to go to Freedom Pointe. Wishing them all Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-21-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That is good to know that the resident is happy there, that is a place I am considering. Thank you.
My Aunt is also at 466A and I visit her often. Very y nice facility and Cart accessible.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:36 AM
Default Long term care ombudsman

Quote:
Can anyone recommend an assisted living facility that they've had fairly recent experience with? Any that should be stayed away from? Thank you for taking time to respond.

Reach out to the long-term care ombudsman in your area. I am a long-term care on ombudsman in my state of Idaho; their services are free and they will help with how to choose a local facility.
The long-term care ombudsman program was founded in 1975 as a result of the federal older Americans act. The ombudsman program operates under the authority of federal and state law.
The contact phone is 352-620-1797
Old 12-23-2023, 04:56 AM

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, I appreciate all your comments and will take all into consideration.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I just read through your post. I will take a look at Mission Oaks again. I have two parents I'm looking for and if I remember correctly the rooms were small for two people. I'm glad you found a place you are comfortable with for your Mom, this is such an incredibly hard decision.
I do agree the rooms would be small at Mission Oaks, especially for 2 people — but my limited experience is that the large majority of the AL rooms everywhere seem fairly small for me… some of it may be layout as well.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Recently I visited a person at Sumter Grand on 466A, and it was lovely. Seemed like great living conditions. The resident was very happy there and said they researched quite extensively before making a decision. I am sure it was quite pricey to say the least.
Sumter Grand is independent living, Sumter Senior Living is the assisted living.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
My dad is living at Sumter Senior Living for the most part they are happy there. He has gotten better with his walking.
I have friends in High Point they are very happy there.
I also have a client that lives in Watercrest in Spanish Spring and is happy there.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
Sumter Grand is independent living, Sumter Senior Living is the assisted living.
To clarify, "Sumter Senior Living" is the name of the overall facility. It includes 3 sections: independent living, assisted living, and memory care.

Sumter Grand is the name of the independent living building within the Sumter Senior Living facility.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-23-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would expect an assisted living facility to be month-to-month, but an independent living apartment should provide you with at least a one year lease, especially if you furnish it yourself.

Have you also considered Freedom Pointe? It requires a large buy-in fee, and you pay for a lifetime care contract, but it is very nice. The lifetime care contract is what bothers me.
I do not recommend Freedom Pointe for way too many reasons but I have a few friends who have been ripped off by them (buying into the independent living), personally experienced the assisted living to memory care for my Mom and can't find much positive at all! Promises...Promises..Promises. sad!!
Closed Thread

Tags
assisted, living, time, taking, stayed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.